Gotta haves, portal or otherwise

Norm Peterson

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, @millerhusker how's your weekend going? Anything interesting happening in the world of sports in your area?

How about you, @AuroranHusker?

I'm thinking it's an interesting time to be a Husker fan.

FWIW, Washut says Parker Friedrechsen isn't going to be coming to Nebraska. I say FWIW because it hasn't been worth a whole lot recently. 

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, @millerhusker how's your weekend going? Anything interesting happening in the world of sports in your area?

How about you, @AuroranHusker?

I'm thinking it's an interesting time to be a Husker fan.

Never a dull moment. Never out of the fight, I suppose we'll see if the allure of Big Ten competition has any sway. (P5's other finalist was Davidson)

Just some context for some of the gems you can find in the portal with a little digging and some good fortune:

Jalen Pickett was an unranked 3-star on Rivals who committed to Sienna out of HS and played there for 3 seasons before transferring to PSU. He now leads PSU in points, rebounds, assists and steals and is in the running for conference POY.

Andrew Funk is averaging over 40% from 3-point range for the Nittany Lions this year. His junior year at Bucknell, he shot just 26.9% from 3-point range.

Three of PSU's top 4 scorers are players they picked up through the portal. Two of them just last year.

They have 4 more home games and a road contest against Minnesota to get to .500 in the league and a possible NCAA tourney bid. Last year, they finished the regular season with a record of 12-16 with only 7 wins in conference.

47 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Portal question: We're looking for transfers, but if any of our younger players transferred who would take them? A good P5? An average P5? Or a mid to low major?

Breidenbach

Lawrence

Dawson

Keita

McPherson

Oleg

I'm tellin' ya, we better not lose Lawrence. That kid has proved himself. Dawson gives GREAT energy even though he's low-skilled and raw. But he's such an athlete. Put them in the mix with Ramel Lloyd and Keisei next year and it's a decent nucleus to build around.

Breidenbach has some skills and teams would definitely look at him. Same with Keita just because of his length and what he did in juco.

McPherson? Meh. Oleg? Meh.

We need a PG and we need a big man or two.

59 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm tellin' ya, we better not lose Lawrence. That kid has proved himself. Dawson gives GREAT energy even though he's low-skilled and raw. But he's such an athlete. Put them in the mix with Ramel Lloyd and Keisei next year and it's a decent nucleus to build around.

Breidenbach has some skills and teams would definitely look at him. Same with Keita just because of his length and what he did in juco.

McPherson? Meh. Oleg? Meh.

We need a PG and we need a big man or two.

Agree with this for the most part, but IF McPherson can get and stay healthy, nobody will be saying "meh" about him next year. He won't be all-conference. He might not even be a starter. But if he was healthy this year, Lawrence wouldn't be getting as much playing time (and I'm a big fan of Lawrence). He might be our best defender next year. Offensively, he'll be a selfless, under control point guard. 

16 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Agree with this for the most part, but IF McPherson can get and stay healthy, nobody will be saying "meh" about him next year. He won't be all-conference. He might not even be a starter. But if he was healthy this year, Lawrence wouldn't be getting as much playing time (and I'm a big fan of Lawrence). He might be our best defender next year. Offensively, he'll be a selfless, under control point guard. 

How do you know this? What have you seen? I can't find any highlight videos from his games in HS. He hasn't posted anything on Hudl. It's almost like he only exists as a virtual player on our roster. What have you seen and where have you seen it that it would lead you to this conclusion?

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

How do you know this? What have you seen? I can't find any highlight videos from his games in HS. He hasn't posted anything on Hudl. It's almost like he only exists as a virtual player on our roster. What have you seen and where have you seen it that it would lead you to this conclusion?

According to this link, he does exist, or at least he did in 2018.

Number 5 for the home team.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Prior to last season, Washut said the two best defenders on the team were Trey McGowens and Quaran McPherson. By all accounts he's tough as nails and a vocal leader. I've seen enough to know he can handle the ball adequately. I don't know if he can create for others. In offseason "hype" articles, what's written about him is more similar to Juwan Gary (big, strong, physical player with a dog mentality) than to some of our previous more heralded players who put up big numbers at their previous schools. I'm also a big believer in body language. And his is the best I've seen on the bench since Derrick Walker was redshirting. I think you're gonna like him, Norm. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for a difference maker in the portal to be our starting point guard. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Based on what?  Some press clippings?  You been to a practice or seen him play one minute?

38 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Prior to last season, Washut said the two best defenders on the team were Trey McGowens and Quaran McPherson. By all accounts he's tough as nails and a vocal leader. I've seen enough to know he can handle the ball adequately. I don't know if he can create for others. In offseason "hype" articles, what's written about him is more similar to Juwan Gary (big, strong, physical player with a dog mentality) than to some of our previous more heralded players who put up big numbers at their previous schools. I'm also a big believer in body language. And his is the best I've seen on the bench since Derrick Walker was redshirting. I think you're gonna like him, Norm. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for a difference maker in the portal to be our starting point guard. 

I met Q (on crutches) at an event during the off-season. I believe his listed measurables are accurate. I wouldn't say that about the majority of the rest of the team. (Keisei, I'm looking at you.)

What kind of player he'll be, I don't know. But the physicality of the B1G won't intimidate him.

2 hours ago, throwback said:

I met Q (on crutches) at an event during the off-season. I believe his listed measurables are accurate. I wouldn't say that about the majority of the rest of the team. (Keisei, I'm looking at you.)

What kind of player he'll be, I don't know. But the physicality of the B1G won't intimidate him.

The thing that intrigues me about Quaran is he had an offer from Ed Cooley.  If you have ever watched Providence, they are tough, physical kids.  He looks the part and Ed Cooley liked him….I want to see what he brings to the table.  I just hope he fully recovers from his knee injury.

The questions I'd have with McPherson is where is he at physically after suffering two knee injuries and can he shoot?

Next year he's also going to be a 21 year old Redshirt Sophomore with 3-4 years left who's played a lot of high level high school ball and has 2 years learning our system.  Seems like his floor should be Bandoumel-type defensive disruptor