Chris Beard

Norm Peterson

59 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

@hhcmatt: His girlfriend is saying it was a big misunderstanding and he isn't guilty of what he's been charged with.

I think he should be eligible for employment, and I would be OK if we hired him, assuming we had an open spot.

Lots of history of rich men figuring out a way for their WAGs to recant on abuse claims.   If it's just a big misunderstanding then it's tough to explain why she called 911 in the first place and why the police affidavit "lists several injuries to the woman: bite mark to the right forearm, abrasion to the right eyebrow, abrasion to the left leg from the knee to the foot, and a cut to the left thumb with dried blood." Also tough to call something self-defense if the fiancé went to another room after breaking Beard's glasses, and he decided to follow her there.  https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2022/12/24/texas-men-basketball-coach-chris-beard-accuser-says-he-may-have-acted-self-defense/69754716007/

This seems like the sort of situation where as an AD you want to see Beard 2-3 years removed from the incident with no further issues.  If this turns out to be a one-time thing, and the fiancé sticks with her current story that she initiated the domestic violence before he escalated it, then Beard probably gets another shot at employment down the road.  But with Nebraska looking like we are going to be searching for a new coach in April, I don't see how his name can be on Trev's big board.  

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Yep. A public statement like that happens like clockwork after a high profile incident of this nature. Very predictable. 

But it is what it is. There's no reasonable way that I know of to separate out the ones where the guy is guilty and the girlfriend is recanting because she doesn't want the repercussions of him getting in trouble vs. where he's not guilty and she just exaggerated things when she called the cops.

If you think he's guilty and that he therefore shouldn't be employable now, the 2-3 years where he would hypothetically sit out shouldn't change your view and you should still consider him to be radioactive waste 2-3 years from now.

Does he have any prior history of domestic violence or protection orders? If he did, I assume we'd have heard about it by now. And then you'd maybe presume, OK, well, looks like he did it again. But if he doesn't have any such history, why should this one phone call to the cops where she now says it's been overblown (or whatever she's saying) end his employability?

14 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I think Chris Beard is a fantastic basketball coach.  IF he is cleared then he could be considered a potential candidate.  However, there isn’t an opening and I really don’t anticipate one at Lincoln this year.

If, hypothetically, there was an opening, would you want Trev Alberts to consider him?

22 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

But it is what it is. There's no reasonable way that I know of to separate out the ones where the guy is guilty and the girlfriend is recanting because she doesn't want the repercussions of him getting in trouble vs. where he's not guilty and she just exaggerated things when she called the cops.

If you think he's guilty and that he therefore shouldn't be employable now, the 2-3 years where he would hypothetically sit out shouldn't change your view and you should still consider him to be radioactive waste 2-3 years from now.

Does he have any prior history of domestic violence or protection orders? If he did, I assume we'd have heard about it by now. And then you'd maybe presume, OK, well, looks like he did it again. But if he doesn't have any such history, why should this one phone call to the cops where she now says it's been overblown (or whatever she's saying) end his employability?

I don’t disagree with you. I think he will get a job again somewhere eventually. 

Let's say Beard is cleared of any wrong doing. LEt's also say there's an opening this year or next at NU. Let's also say Trev is still the AD. I don't see Beard fitting the criteria he laid out when hiring the football coach, which I would expect to be similar to what he'd look for in hiring a basketball one. I don't think Beard will be a serious candidate here in the near future. Probably ever.

1 hour ago, hugh42 said:

Texas fired him with cause so apparently they felt there was enough evidence against Beard to do so. Good coach or not.

Not in today's political climate.  Especially in Austin, Texas. They'd fire him and dare him to sue.  I have no idea what happened, but the woke culture has decided innocent until proven guilty does not apply anymore. 

It is sometimes difficult to measure the correct responses and/or feelings in today's environment.   For example, does the belief of innocent until proven guilty still exist?  Does it exist for all alleged crimes, or just certain crimes?  I sort of believe that today, one is guilty until it is proven that you are innocent.  As a result, the allegation will stain a person with the figurative Scarlet letter.  Shoot, as soon as it hits social media (which is immediately) people take sides with rigid opinions. 

If what Beard is alleged to have done is true, it is reprehensible and he should not be allowed to lead a basketball team again.  If he is innocent...well heck, a significant number of people will still ostracize him.

It is a conundrum, with no easy answer.   A great reputation can take years earn, but seconds to be destroyed.   

Bottom line, whether innocent or guilty, Chris Beard could never work at Nebraska.  BUT, Mickey Joseph could, IF, he would be found innocent.   WHY, because he is a "Nebraskan" who has earned our trust.

I am not sure if this makes sense or not, but in my disintegrating mind, it kind of does.

He may be cleared, but no Power 6 program is going to touch him with a 10’ pole anyway. The point is moot. The issue is you put yourself in a bad enough situation that can tarnish your reputation when you shouldn’t have. And that’s reason enough for many universities when they’re offering to pay you millions. 

Everyone who thinks we should have signed Keontae Johnson but wouldn't touch Chis Beard, please exit to the left where a nice lady is waiting to give you a shot of Thorazine.

Florida's Keyontae Johnson Investigated by Police in Alleged Sexual Assault | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

11 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Everyone who thinks we should have signed Keontae Johnson but wouldn't touch Chis Beard, please exit to the left where a nice lady is waiting to give you a shot of Thorazine.

Florida's Keyontae Johnson Investigated by Police in Alleged Sexual Assault | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

If the police investigated, found evidence to support the accusation and arrested him then it would be the same and I would agree he is a no go. Surely you see the difference.

Even just an accusation is a red flag for me though. Who knows maybe it did play a part in our decision.

3 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

If the police investigated, found evidence to support the accusation and arrested him then it would be the same and I would agree he is a no go. Surely you see the difference.

Even just an accusation is a red flag for me though. Who knows maybe it did play a part in our decision.

You bald-faced hypocrite.

A woman made an accusation against Keontae Johnson for sexually assaulting her. She never recanted. He admitted having sex with her. He claims it was consensual. Witnesses say she was so drunk she was incoherent. She denies consenting.

Chris Beard's fiance denies he tried to strangle her and says she told cops that the night he was arrested.

Surely you see the difference.

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Please don't make disingenuous posts in random topics to try and win points in some other topic, please and thanks

https://www.alligator.org/article/2022/07/keyontae-johnson-investigation-halted 

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

Please don't make disingenuous posts in random topics to try and win points in some other topic, please and thanks

OK so you think it's wrong to expect people to be consistent across threads? OK.

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

From a different source:

The alleged assault occurred at an off-campus apartment Feb. 26. Johnson's accuser had reportedly been drinking hours before the party and during it. She contacted police Feb. 28 after undergoing a sexual assault exam.

Earlier this month, Gainesville police listened in on a phone call between Johnson and his accuser. The Florida basketball player said he had unprotected sex with the woman after she was intoxicated, according to Legacy-Cole. He said during the call that he had asked for her consent.

Two witnesses described the woman accusing Johnson of sexual assault as "heavily intoxicated" and "not making any sense" at the time the alleged assault occurred, according to police.