uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 11: vs. Purdue.

uneblinstu

As far as I’m concerned, after what we did in Omaha, Coach Hoiberg bought himself quite a bit of grace.

combine that with our style of play and not giving up and fighting and being more than competitive, let’s build on it. Just need one or two knock down shooters- to compliment what we have now. Losing Walker will be a big loss

I don't think I've experienced a home game atmosphere like that in PBA for an entire game during HCFH tenure at Nebraska.

1. With out KT we don't make it to overtime and likely lose by 10. 

2. BK gave some good minutes while DW was resting on the bench.

3. What a gutsy effort by Sam. He did not look like he was feeling well.

5. Bando is on of the best, if not the best Husker on-ball defenders we've had.

6. 2 missed front ends of 1-and-1's was huge.

7. Down by double digits in the second half and we battled back. So.Very.Proud.

8. We just have to learn to expect that it is going to be someone different every game that will step up.

9. Nice piece of coaching by HCFH at the end with offense defense for KT and JG.

10. Purdue had very few open looks. Our defensive rotation off of doubling Eby in the post was a thing of beauty.

11. Did a nice job a couple of times of pulling Eby out of the middle to allow penetration to the bucket.

12. Purdue's offense is to feed Eby and have him pass to the open shooter and if they miss Eby gets that rebound and passes it back out again. I imagine we helped future Purdue opponents game plan to beat them.

Edited to Add:

My son won 1st place in a freshman only tournament in Lincoln on Thursday, going 3-0. He didn't give up a single point.

On Friday, the tournament that was originally scheduled for today but got moved up one day he finished 2nd place in a double elimination 12-man bracket. 

Edited by Ron Mexico

3 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

As far as I’m concerned, after what we did in Omaha, Coach Hoiberg bought himself quite a bit of grace.

combine that with our style of play and not giving up and fighting and being more than competitive, let’s build on it. Just need one or two knock down shooters- to compliment what we have now. Losing Walker will be a big loss

Would like to point out that Tim Miles last year at DONU we beat Creighton, and he was still fire. There's a lot of basketball left to play.

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Before the year— some didn’t think Keisei deserved a spot.

Before Florida— some thought Keisei needed to “show it” against high major opponents

I would say Keisei has more than earned his spot out there.  He takes some boneheaded shots at times, but a few of our guys do.

Tominaga is our best big shot maker.  Perhaps it is related to playing on the world stage. I am glad we have one more year of him.  

I think the biggest change to KT’s game was that he’s been allowed to show he’s not just a spot up 3 point shooter. His last layup this afternoon highlights that as a finisher, he’s quite capable. I’d rather have him driving than other guys. 
I know he wants that one shot I’m regulation back, the one he shorted right before he dropped the 3…

4 hours ago, busticket said:

Tominaga is our best big shot maker.  Perhaps it is related to playing on the world stage. I am glad we have one more year of him.  

And his defense is getting better. He has his physical short comings, but it looks like he is learning how to minimize them. 

Edited by cornfed24-7

11 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Bad news :  Outside of Minnesota, I see no sure conference wins.

Good news :  Outside Purdue, Iowa, and Rutgers road games, I see no sure conference losses.

After seeing us play on the road against Creighton and IU without Sam, I'm not so sure there isn't a road game that's a "sure" conference loss.  We have one more gimme win, a lot of toss ups and a few really tough roadies.  I still can't help but wonder what could have been had Walker played at St Johns and against Oklahoma.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Would it be sacrilegious for me to say that over the last three games, against three top 10 opponents, this team has played as well as if not better than any Tim Miles team?

I think that would be a bit of an overstatement Norm - the Shavon Shields & Teran Petttaway team that made the NCAA tournament was playing at a really high level at the tail end of that regular season.   That team took a really good shot from a final four level Wisconsin team on no-sit Sunday and beat them.   But other than that stretch I would not dispute your comment.   Perhaps one key difference is Pettaway really had a knack for making that really big shot each game to really ignite the crowd and demoralize the opponent.   This team seems to be able to get in a position to make that shot - but no one seems to be able to knock it down (save for KT's 3 pointer at the end of regulation today).

In response to other comments I think unless we fall apart after the first of the year Fred certainly has done enough to stay.   But I am one that REALLY hates this pattern of starting over every 4-5 years.    We  will have to rebuild again next year losing Walker, Greisel and Bandoumel - but hopefully those three have started a culture that can succeed.  I think Fred's stint in the NBA made him think he needed to have NBA calibar players to win in college - but this team may be reminding him that to win in college he has to have guys willing to play defense and rebound.

I appreciate the effort - the way this team flies around on the defensive end is simply unreal - but we just have to find a way to win that game. PU was highly vulnerable today, and we needed to take advantage.

Just missed too many shots during key possessions. In the final 10 minutes of regulation, we had 12 shots during a possession when we were within 3 pts (potential chance to tie) and made 1 - Tominaga's shot in the closing seconds to tie the game.

• 0-4 on Layups 
  • 1-5 on 3 pointers
  • 0-3 on short jumpers
  • 2-3 on FTs (including missing the front end of a 1&1)
  • 2 turnovers

Brutal.

When a team that's as good offensively as PU only scores 7 points in the final 8-1/2 minutes of regulation - and uncharacteristically misses 3 FTs - we have to take advantage. So many chances to really put the pressure on them in the final 10 minutes & couldn't do it.

Great effort, but very much a missed opportunity. Fortunately, in the B1G, we'll get quite a few more opportunities, but this one is going to sting for a while.

2 minutes ago, throwback said:

I appreciate the effort - the way this team flies around on the defensive end is simply unreal - but we just have to find a way to win that game. PU was highly vulnerable today, and we needed to take advantage.

Just missed too many shots during key possessions. In the final 10 minutes of regulation, we had 12 shots during a possession when we were within 3 pts (potential chance to tie) and made 1 - Tominaga's shot in the closing seconds to tie the game.

• 0-4 on Layups 
  • 1-5 on 3 pointers
  • 0-3 on short jumpers
  • 2-3 on FTs (including missing the front end of a 1&1)
  • 2 turnovers

Brutal.

When a team that's as good offensively as PU only scores 7 points in the final 8-1/2 minutes of regulation - and uncharacteristically misses 3 FTs - we have to take advantage. So many chances to really put the pressure on them in the final 10 minutes & couldn't do it.

Great effort, but very much a missed opportunity. Fortunately, in the B1G, we'll get quite a few more opportunities, but this one is going to sting for a while.

Yikes.

And CJ Wilcher's performance was brutal today. He's like a FG kicker with the yips. He has basically one job and he's lacking confidence in his ability to stroke it.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yikes.

And CJ Wilcher's performance was brutal today. He's like a FG kicker with the yips. He has basically one job and he's lacking confidence in his ability to stroke it.

Agreed if you would have told me before the game that Wilcher and Sam would combine for 5 points I’d probably tell ya we lost by around 20.  We just have to get more offensive production out of those 2.  Credit to

Purdue though. They were really physical with CJ and he wasn’t able to get anything going.

14 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Would like to point out that Tim Miles last year at DONU we beat Creighton, and he was still fire. There's a lot of basketball left to play.

I’d say different expectations at the time, and certainly a different AD. Trev likes Fred and wants him to succeed. I think Trev will see the growth and development of the culture of the program and will give him time to build on it. We can lament why it’s taken him to tear four to figure it out, I know I do at times, but like he says, this is indeed a team Husker fans can be proud of. 

23 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Would it be sacrilegious for me to say that over the last three games, against three top 10 opponents, this team has played as well as if not better than any Tim Miles team?

Tim Miles tourney team at the end of year 2 has chucks of this Hoiberg team in its stool

On 12/10/2022 at 3:53 PM, basketballjones said:

Stop me if you’ve heard this before:

”Nebraska can’t make free throws and pivotal shots and get f***** by officials at home in loss.” 

The refs at the end stuck out but not as much as missing the front end of two 1 on 1s and that sequence where we gator armed 5 straight shots off 4 offensive rebounds. 

23 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Ok...based on what we have seen this year... to little to late or does Coach stay?  No guarantee that most of this team will be back next year. 

It's still too early to make that kind of call either way. Generally seems more possible he returns than at the start of the season.