uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 11: vs. Purdue.

uneblinstu

I only got to see overtime of this one but twitter tells me the refs had a rough day. If the foul on Wilcher at the end is any indication, that's a tough pill to swallow. 

Walker is a load. Sam is fearless. Tominaga is too. 

This team may just have something here. 

Rest up, take it out on KState next week.

I LOVE this team! Trying to leave my anger in the game thread 🤬. They just don't quit. My expectations are now high. No one can convince me this team shouldn't make the post season in some form. BIGTEN was put on notice this week. Better be ready to battle when we come to play. Watch out if we start hitting FT's or our shots start falling at a miniscule better clip!

It’s a typical Purdue team, tough, physical and some good shooters. Painter is carrying on the Gene Keady Tradition.  That being given, we played them to a standstill.  The importance of the free throw line was magnified in this game.  Sure, we had calls go against us but if we knock down a shot we win.  We need these guys rewarded with some wins. The effort may not always be there without some success. 

Damn. Just looked at the stats. I didn’t realize how bad our shooting actually was during the game. We make a couple more, or a couple front ends and we probably win that.

Sam at times looked like he couldn’t walk and was an absolute warrior.

I don’t know that we have ever (since I’ve been really following) had a player that shoots the shots Keisei shoots and I’ve just expected them to go in. 

Refs sucked, that’s just always the case though.

Last Saturday if you said that we would win one, and go to overtime for another I’d have taken it in a heartbeat. Now I’m upset about it.

Gotta get CJ some swagger. Sam will get healthy. And we might do some damage in the big ten. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but this team has absolutely belonged on the court with three straight (ish) top ten teams

2 minutes ago, nuhusker7 said:

Damn. Just looked at the stats. I didn’t realize how bad our shooting actually was during the game. We make a couple more, or a couple front ends and we probably win that.

Sam at times looked like he couldn’t walk and was an absolute warrior.

I don’t know that we have ever (since I’ve been really following) had a player that shoots the shots Keisei shoots and I’ve just expected them to go in. 

Refs sucked, that’s just always the case though.

Last Saturday if you said that we would win one, and go to overtime for another I’d have taken it in a heartbeat. Now I’m upset about it.

Gotta get CJ some swagger. Sam will get healthy. And we might do some damage in the big ten. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but this team has absolutely belonged on the court with three straight (ish) top ten teams

No knock on Creighton— but they were no where near as good as IU and PU I don’t think.  Different level.  We played very well today!  Gotta start winning some of the close ones.

Had a chance to listen to the game rather than watch, so I don't have a lot to say about the officiating. But...make the free throws and wide open looks, the officiating becomes a whole lot less important.

On another note, it had been quite a while since I listened to a game. It was the most "homer" broadcast I think I've ever heard - and I loved every second of it! KP is an absolute treasure! 😂

56 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

5. This team could reach the post-season. I would not have expected that going into this year. But ...

a. they play harder than any prior Hoiberg team

b. they're more cohesive than any prior Hoiberg team

c. they play better defense than any prior Hoiberg team

d. they run the offense with more discipline than any prior Hoiberg team

These things times 10.   It is amazing how night and day different this team is from the group we had last year.  So much more fun to watch and really appreciate how hard they play.   #3 from Purdue is going to have nightmares about Emanuel Bandoumel for the next 6 months.   

Edey just changes the game SO much.   You have to help off so much that it takes incredible rotation hustle on D (which we did a great job of doing - but it still creates lots of open looks for their shooters.   Just the opposite on the other end because he is such a presence in the land and alters every shot within 10 feet.   I think you could expose this Purdue team on perimeter D except they don't have to worry about getting beat with Edey waiting at the basket.

We really battled today.   Disappointing to not get the W out of it - particularly given the chances that we had and the ridiculous phantom foul call at the end.   But good part is the place was rocking and this team is so much fun to watch it makes the games enjoyable.

Great effort by the team.  I won’t go on about the refs, but if we keep playing like this we are going to do some damage.

I think we have only had one game this year where Keisei and Wilcher both shot well (BC).  They are the only two legit shooters we have.  When they are both hitting we can give anyone fits.  Heck, we did that today without Wilcher hitting.

Time to focus on KSU.  Shake it off boys!!!!

I actually thought the loss on Wednesday at Indiana was a decent loss. Tough environment against a top 15 team coming off a loss to Rutgers. We were without our leader and primary ball handler. And we fought hard until the end. Made it tough on Indiana. Hoiberg's previous teams would've gotten embarrassed. I was proud of the team on Wednesday.

However, I'm not one who thinks a close loss at home against a top 5 team is a good loss (when you have a team that is capable of winning). I truly expected Nebraska to win that game. Purdue gave us so many opportunities to win that game. It'd be one thing if we played really well and Purdue just played better and earned the win. Purdue was very beatable today and we didn't take advantage. I wasn't super impressed with Purdue's defense. We got to our spots whenever and wherever we wanted. But missed SO MANY open looks en route to shooting 31% from the field. 

Purdue might be ranked #1 in the nation on Monday. And they'll likely just keep getting better as the year goes on, since their two lead guards are true freshman. But they won't go undefeated this year. Somebody who shouldn't beat them, will beat them. Probably a few teams will. We should have handed them their first loss today. Feels like a huge missed opportunity. Thing is, wins will be just as hard to come by when Northwestern, Penn State, Rutgers, etc come to Lincoln. Still proud of the team, but I'm disappointed that we didn't capitalize today. But I suppose it's nice to have those expectations again. I don't think I've felt like that after a loss since the KU game in 2017. 

1 hour ago, Nighthawk said:

Ok...based on what we have seen this year... to little to late or does Coach stay?  No guarantee that most of this team will be back next year. 

Ha! Funny you asked. I posted this in a different thread today - I really like what he's doing this year. Its unfortunate we're only seeing this type of team in year four. Even if he does come back next year the ugly truth is he's pretty close to being in coaching no mans land. He's not getting an extention. Its the same place Miles was at in his last years. Its a good thing there's a portal because that's likely Hoibergs only chance to turn this thing around if he's retained.

Last three opponents had: 

7'1 skilled and athletic big man (Kalkbrenner)

6'9 all-American big man (Jackson-Davis)

7'4 behemoth (Edey)

Derrick Walker took it to Kalkbrenner from the get-go. Took him 10 minutes to figure out how to score against Jackson-Davis after getting his first couple of attempts swatted. Had to be patient today against Edey and pick his spots, but he eventually reached double figures with some nifty post moves to score against Edey.

Someday soon (KSU) he'll encounter a team that doesn't have an All-American or a Leviathan at center and he'll have a chance to go off.

Be nice if we can just get CJ and Keisei going at the same time.

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Nighthawk said:

Ok...based on what we have seen this year... to little to late or does Coach stay?  No guarantee that most of this team will be back next year. 

He brought in some new assistant coaches.  If we continue to play like this, then at this point I’d vote for keeping him.