uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 10: at Indiana

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:
11 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

We hung in there but for the first several minutes.  Our defensive strategy seemed to be adjusted and would have been successful but for a couple honyoks playing the games of their lives...we move on.

Honyok… great word Honyok

I thought my Dad was the only person that ever used that name.

22 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I thought my Dad was the only person that ever used that name.

Hmmm.  Are you my son?  It is sort of a last century term.

At a recent gathering, I turned to one of my family members and asked "what sayeth you?" And everyone sort of freaked out.  Yup, I am getting a bit long in the tooth...we'd better win an NCAA game pretty soon or I won't see it 🤔 

32 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Hmmm.  Are you my son?  It is sort of a last century term.

At a recent gathering, I turned to one of my family members and asked "what sayeth you?" And everyone sort of freaked out.  Yup, I am getting a bit long in the tooth...we'd better win an NCAA game pretty soon or I won't see it 🤔 

Let me check around.

42 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I think "honyok" is pretty interchangeable with "pissant" or "pekkerwood" in old fart's lingo. I think it is one step below a "jackwagon", but you'll have to check with Kent to be sure on that. 

Although I have, on occasion heard honyok used in more endearing terms.  The others mentioned, not so much. 😏

Honyok or honyock

A person who is foolish, stupid, oafish, wild, impetuous, or stubborn. 

Like other slurs that've been appropriated by their intended targets, today it is often used in a jocular or affectionate manner when addressing one's own family or friends.

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I think "honyok" is pretty interchangeable with "pissant" or "pekkerwood" in old fart's lingo. I think it is one step below a "jackwagon", but you'll have to check with Kent to be sure on that. 

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Although I have, on occasion heard honyok used in more endearing terms.  The others mentioned, not so much. 😏

Honyok or honyock

Like other slurs that've been appropriated by their intended targets, today it is often used in a jocular or affectionate manner when addressing one's own family or friends.

It seems that 'Honyock' more or less equals 'Bohunk.'   (I have not heard that term (honyock) in a long time, and never from anyone outside of SE Nebraska, or with some ties to that region (or maybe Czech communities).  Bohunk seems to have a somewhat wider geographical identity.  As HuskerPapa mentions, I've only heard the term, while derogatory, adopted in a 'friendly' rather than demeaning manner (sort of like, there but for the grace of God go I - but I'm sure many have heard it used as an intentional slur).  

image.png

image.png

Edited by Red Don

23 minutes ago, Red Don said:

It seems that 'Honyock' more or less equals 'Bohunk.'   (I have not heard that term (honyock) in a long time, and never from anyone outside of SE Nebraska, or with some ties to that region (or maybe Czech communities).  Bohunk seems to have a somewhat wider geographical identity.  As HuskerPapa mentions, I've only heard the term, while derogatory, adopted in a 'friendly' rather than demeaning manner (sort of like, there but for the grace of God go I - but I'm sure many have heard it used as an intentional slur).  

image.png

image.png

Since I am a Czech from eastern Nebraska, that must be where and how I became familiar with the term.  By the way, my grandmother came from the old country.  She always insisted she was Czech, not Bohemian and not a Gipsy.  

Okay, enough of that 🥴 back to basketball.

8 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Since I am a Czech from eastern Nebraska, that must be where and how I became familiar with the term.  By the way, my grandmother came from the old country.  She always insisted she was Czech, not Bohemian and not a Gipsy.  

Okay, enough of that 🥴 back to basketball.

The last time I heard the term I was in a bar in Austin, TX (a loooong time ago).  I said that was an interesting term she just used; and sure enough, she had grown-up in SE Nebraska.

Agree, back to Basketball !!!  ;)

7 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Honyok or honyock

My grandpa used the term quite often and to honor his memory I 'lovingly' address my many nieces and nephews as such.  Just because.