Game Day Essentials: Game #10 at #14 Indiana

hhcmatt

Nebraska Cornhuskers (6-3) at #14 Indiana Hoosiers (7-1)

Date: Wednesday Dec 7th, 2022
Time: 7:30 pm
Arena: Assembly Hall

Broadcast:  BTN

Indiana Info

70922132002.gif
Head Coach: Mike Woodson
Conference: B1G
Nickname: Hoosiers

Rotation Depth: 8+

Last Game: Loss at Rutgers

KenPom: 10
Line: Indiana by 13.5

A couple of Famous Alumni: Isiah Thomas, Former Nebraska assistant Michael Lewis

Other:  

• There are 8 former NBA coaches currently coaching in Div 1 and we have 2 of them in Fred Hoiberg and Mike Woodson
  • Nebraska opens conference play at Indiana for the 3rd time in 4 years
  • Nebraska faces yet another former assistant as Kenya Hunter is on the Hoosier bench.
  • Indiana was the B1G media preseason pick to win the conference

KenPom Analysis:  Indiana is a well rounded team. Their elite eFG% is built on transition offense and running into the paint, a couple of things Nebraska can possibly slow down. In theory this a team where you can go after offensive rebounds but you have to wonder if we'll bail back on defense like the Creighton game.  Nebraska's ball handling will be a big concern in this one.

image.png

Player to watch: C Trayce Jackson-Davis

TJD was named to the Pre-Season All-American team and the B1G Pre-Season player of the Year and has lived up to the hype, leading the Hoosiers in points, rebounds, and blocks.  The only thing he doesn't do, make 3s, is secretly a strength for this Indiana team as otherwise he'd be in the NBA.

Player to watch: PG Xavier Johnson

The onetime Nebraska basketball commit is running the show in Bloomington again and has slowly turned himself into a dangerous 3pt shooter, hitting 9-19 on the year.  If freshman ball handler Jalen Hood-Schifino is out again, Indiana will be vunerable to ball pressure whenever Johnson is off the floor. On the floor, it will be quite the battle between a couple of hardnosed workers in Johnson and Bandoumel.

KenPom most used lineup

PG SG SF PF C Pct
0 Xavier Johnson
6-3  200  Sr
1 Jalen Hood-Schifino
6-6  213  Fr
12 Miller Kopp
6-7  215  Sr
25 Race Thompson
6-8  235  Sr
23 Trayce Jackson-Davis
6-9  245  Jr

Others to watch

• Former NW Wildcat sharpshooter Miller Kopp is stroking this year, hitting 52.9% of his 3s
  • Stretch 4 Race Thompson does everything well except shoot from outside, just 2-16 on the year. 
  • 5 star freshman Jalen Hood-Schifino is potentially the Indiana PG of the future. His outside shot isn't there yet. JHS is questionable to play
  • 6'4" glue guy guard Trey Galloway likely draws the start if JHS is out
  • 5 star freshman post Malik Reneau has been playing high level minutes as the backup 4/5
  • 6'4" SG Tamar Bates comes off the bench for shooting
  • 6'6" wing Jordan Geronimo is a glue-guy wing

UNL Game Notes

Probable starters for Nebraska
5    Sam Griesel    G    6-7
25  Emmanuel Bandoumel    G    6-4

0   C.J. Wilcher    G    6-5

4   Juwan Gary  F  6-6

13  Derrick Walker    F    6-9

Bench

15   Blaise Keita C   6-11

30  Keisei Tominaga    G    6-2

32  Wilhelm Breidenbach    F    6-10

10  Jamarques Lawrence - G  6-3

12  Denim Dawson - F  6-6

33  Oleg Kojenets    F    7-0
12   Sam Hoiberg    G    6-0

31  Cale Jacobsen  G  6-4

35  Henry Burt  F  6-6

24  Jeffrey Grace III  G  6-3

Injured

3   Quaran McPherson   G   6-3 - Out for the Year

Hoiberg Presser

Bandoumel Presser

The Skinny: 

Hey, anyone out there still excited about that Creighton win? One of the downsides to a big victory is that next game you're prone to having a hangover of sorts. Puffed ego, lack of concentration, etc. If you watched those presser videos with Hoiberg and Bandoumel you think that perhaps this won't be a problem with Nebraska. Despite best intentions,  it's hard to fight human nature (like apparently running guys up to the AD to pick up Blackshirts). We'll see.

Speaking of hangovers, that might have been some of the problem with Indiana on their trip to Rutgers after soundly defeating North Carolina at home.  Rutgers double-teamed TJD and dared Indiana to make 3s in the RAC which led to a 63-48 loss. Hangover? Maybe.  Will they come back on Wednesday geeked up for Nebraska? Maybe though maybe not if some of the guys are already thinking ahead to playing Arizona in Vegas.

Defensively, I'd also expect Nebraska to make Indiana beat them from outside though they'll find Indiana to be more committed to scoring inside than Creighton. Nebraska fans tend to get into 'here we go again' ruts about certain things.  One of those things is guys breaking out of shooting slumps which is very likely to happen tonight because Indiana has several guys in slumps who likely will take shots. To me, having the guys who don't normally take shots seems like a sound strategy, right? 

Speaking of offense, I think you'll see Nebraska try and attack from outside as a tall team like Indiana isn't going to give Griesel great post looks and Walker likely won't push TJD straight under the basket.  We'll probably need good shooting nights from guys like Wilcher and/or Keisei to pull out a win. Will be interesting to see what the Huskers do on the offensive boards as you can find them vs the Hoosiers who will punish aggressiveness in transition. 

I think on the right night Indiana could win this game by 20 but I think Nebraska will show up most games and I don't think Indiana is overly concerned about this one.

Prediction: Indiana 68 - Nebraska 59 

View full article

36 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

This means I should probably go lay down $100 that Race hits four or five 3's tonight.

I can already see/hear it...

17:35 left in the first half... Announcer: "Annnnd Race Thompson hits ANOTHER ONE!  He had 2 threes coming into tonight and he's got three already this game.  He's up to 9 points."

7 minutes ago, Lohusker said:

Sounding like no Sam tonight due to illness that has been running through the team. Damn.

I did find it interesting who was in red for the husker hoops story on Facebook. I had originally figured they just picked random teams, but it appeared to be mostly starters plus Keisei. No idea if it means anything

I did find it interesting who was in red for the husker hoops story on Facebook. I had originally figured they just picked random teams, but it appeared to be mostly starters plus Keisei. No idea if it means anything

Hoping it stops here or most have already had it. Fred was sick last week for BC game (as was Walker). IIRC, most of the team was sick for Auburn last year and a few for Mich the game before (I think we were all sick after those 2 games ).

I’m just trying to keep my expectations in check. Even if we play our best ball it still might take some luck. I think we can be a competitive team this year, but it is difficult for any team to put a borderline top ten team on the road. I’m sure at least one top 25 team will get blown out at Indiana this year. 

I’m just trying to keep my expectations in check. Even if we play our best ball it still might take some luck. I think we can be a competitive team this year, but it is difficult for any team to put a borderline top ten team on the road. I’m sure at least one top 25 team will get blown out at Indiana this year. 

Completely agree. I’ve felt all along they could be a competitive team. But the Creighton win has thrown the casual fan’s thoughts out of whack (as did the SJU and OU games)

Are we going to be the 2013 - 14 team, who beat # 9 MSU on the road and goes 5 - 1 in the regular season on their way to an NCAA tournament team?

Or are we going to be the 2015 - 16 team, who beat # 11 MSU on the road and goes 2 - 9 in the regular season diminishing any hope for a postseason berth?

Are we going to be the 2013 - 14 team, who beat # 9 MSU on the road and goes 5 - 1 in the regular season on their way to an NCAA tournament team?

Or are we going to be the 2015 - 16 team, who beat # 11 MSU on the road and goes 2 - 9 in the regular season diminishing any hope for a postseason berth?

Assuming the record you are referencing for each season is conf road games? If so, and looking at the schedule, I think 4-6 would be a great road mark for this team.

7 minutes ago, Lohusker said:

Assuming the record you are referencing for each season is conf road games? If so, and looking at the schedule, I think 4-6 would be a great road mark for this team.

I should have said finished the season with those records.  We were 5 - 1 after the MSU game in 2013 - 14 and 2 - 9 after the MSU game in 2015 - 16.