unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 8: Boston College

uneblinstu

18 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Some funky business absolutely happened with Walker's fouls. He clearly picked up two early - announcers said it and the foul was on him watching it. I couldn't believe when he picked up his "3rd" in the first half that it got corrected to his "2nd." 

There was a kicking call that they thought was a foul.  You missed it 40 seconds later when the announcers corrected themselves.

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

After it got to 33-28 with about 4 minutes left in the first half, Fred called timeout. Whatever he said really worked.

After it got to 33-28, I was like oh shit we're gonna lose. Their big guy is out there knocking down threes and we're having trouble finding the rim.

Next thing you know, we're up like 20 and coasting. And it's like what in the hell just happened?

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

After it got to 33-28, I was like oh shit we're gonna lose. Their big guy is out there knocking down threes and we're having trouble finding the rim.

Next thing you know, we're up like 20 and coasting. And it's like what in the hell just happened?

I distinctly remember them coming out in the 2nd half just jacking up 3s which isn't sustainable for a bad shooting team like that.  That allowed us to live through our typical shaky 2nd half start.  Poor coaching/execution on their part doomed them and we very much took advantage.

22 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

It was absolute news to me that he is only a Sophomore. For some reason I thought he had some funky eligibility. 

If you think back to what Derrick Walker looked like 2 years ago and compare that to what he looks like now, there's a lot of reason to be hopeful about what we end up getting out of Blaise Keita. And if you look at their stats, don't forget Walker was competing for playing time against Yvan back then, so ...

13 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If you think back to what Derrick Walker looked like 2 years ago and compare that to what he looks like now, there's a lot of reason to be hopeful about what we end up getting out of Blaise Keita. And if you look at their stats, don't forget Walker was competing for playing time against Yvan back then, so ...

The thing I've noticed with Blaise is he needs to get a long stronger in his lower body. I know he's got some knee issues - hopefully they can correct those and get him stronger. Needs better flexibility and mobility in his hips/knee bend. 

18 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

The thing I've noticed with Blaise is he needs to get a long stronger in his lower body. I know he's got some knee issues - hopefully they can correct those and get him stronger. Needs better flexibility and mobility in his hips/knee bend. 

That pass he made to Gary was an eye-opener. If he gets his body worked out, he has some feel for this game.

10 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I listened to Fred’s postgame presser.

Quite a few questions related to KT.

To sum it up, he said he was very happy to see his guys were very purposeful in finding him because they knew he had the hot hand. He said “that’s a true sign of a selfish team” and I almost could hear him thinking ‘unlike last year’

He did say Keisei has quite a few tricks in his bag and it’s not just 3’s, it’s the runners and floaters. Said the floater he hit that he bounced it off the top of the backboard - that’s when he knew he had it going…

I think he said "unselfish" team.  

A few of us were discussing Keisei after the game.  He has unquestionably upped his game.  His defense, his consistency and his ability to get to the rim (and his creativity at the rim) seemingly all improved.

But, I think his number one asset is his annoyabilty.  He is like a flea that the opponent wants to slap away; but he just buzzes around.  We haven't had "that guy" for quite some time.  I hope that he can keep it up.  He certainly is, or is becoming a fan favorite. 

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I distinctly remember them coming out in the 2nd half just jacking up 3s which isn't sustainable for a bad shooting team like that.  That allowed us to live through our typical shaky 2nd half start.  Poor coaching/execution on their part doomed them and we very much took advantage.

It was fluky that they got the lead as it was largely those same type of shots that they were making at an unsustainable clip.  

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

It was absolute news to me that he is only a Sophomore. For some reason I thought he had some funky eligibility. 

In my mind he was a Junior. I like his progress. You can see him getting better from game to game. Uh oh. Here comes the unfounded optimism. STOP! Don't do this to yourself. PLEASE!😭

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

What a game. Great job fellas. If Keisei just keeps getting hot, he might be on track to prove my ass very wrong. Need to see it against quality competition, however. FSU/BC are really, really bad. 

Some funky business absolutely happened with Walker's fouls. He clearly picked up two early - announcers said it and the foul was on him watching it. I couldn't believe when he picked up his "3rd" in the first half that it got corrected to his "2nd." 

Looking back— wondering if they called him for kicking the ball on that one vs a foul.  The ref made the kicking motion.  

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

That pass he made to Gary was an eye-opener. If he gets his body worked out, he has some feel for this game.

His “And-1” finish on the pass early was eye opening too.  Can’t remember the last time we had a “big” that didn’t take a dribble and lose it when they got it in the paint.

BK seems to know when and when not to dribble.  Bball IQ!

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

And think if Oleg keeps getting better what that 1-2 punch could looks like in 2 years!!