unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 7: Florida State 

HuskerFever

Happy for the guys to pick up a win in Orlando - whoever called it the Happiest Place on Earth didn't go 0-3 in a tournament down there, clearly.

It certainly looks like a different team with Walker on the floor combined with the overall effort they give.

Hope we take care of business Wednesday in a very winnable game and then worry about what's coming later. Stay in the moment.

A big question for me is— does Walker change the outcome of OU or St Johns? It’s a hard question with no solid answer.  However, I believe that he could have.  We’re now 1-1 with Walker.  

Wednesday is big!  BC is probably better than FSU and is hovering around where we are in KenPom.  The next three after BC are very likely losses, so it’ll be important to grab the BC game.

After seeing us play FSU, I believe we could give lower level B1G teams enough fits to pull out some W’s.  However we have no room for error as a team.  Unfortunately, we don’t have the luxury to have an “off night” and pull out a W.

Already mentioned in this thread, but Keisei has been a really nice piece to have off the bench.  So many wrote him off last year, through the summer, and earlier this month.  He’s this years version of Benny Parker, young Tai Webster, etc.  Every year we have someone who takes a lot of criticism because of their faults and doesn’t get a lot of praise for their good.  KT has his faults and areas of struggle.  But he’s not “just a shooter” for us this year.  He’s done a lot of good on the O end.  He does lack a little on the D end, but like I said.  Role players have faults.  He’s not an all star, but he’s definitely earned his spot.

4 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Already mentioned in this thread, but Keisei has been a really nice piece to have off the bench.  So many wrote him off last year, through the summer, and earlier this month.  He’s this years version of Benny Parker, young Tai Webster, etc.  Every year we have someone who takes a lot of criticism because of their faults and doesn’t get a lot of praise for their good.  KT has his faults and areas of struggle.  But he’s not “just a shooter” for us this year.  He’s done a lot of good on the O end.  He does lack a little on the D end, but like I said.  Role players have faults.  He’s not an all star, but he’s definitely earned his spot.

Interesting you should mention that.  Benny Parker was a ferocious defender (but lacked scoring punch - kind of the opposite of Keisei).   I noticed some times where Keisei would jump/hop in front of the player he was defending (maybe to try to disrupt/block his shot), but while he was hopping the player would go right around him (while he was in the air).  I don't know whether that can be coached out of him, so as to stay in front of his player better.

5 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

So very happy for this team and these players. I like every single one of the guys. An incredibly fun game to watch.

This season has been HCFH best, from a coaching perspective, season. 

This is what I imagined his first season would have been like.

OMG yes. Great point.

We almost turned the entire roster over, so it's not inconceivable that he could have built a roster in year 1 much like the one we're fielding this year. As much as any of us might criticize Keisei for being a defensive liability, is there anyone who would prefer Matty Kavas? Yeah, me neither. I wouldn't even take Jervay over Keisei. And I would definitely take Sam Griesel over Cam Mack even though Cam was more of a natural PG.

The biggest apples-to-oranges critique is that Banton would have been immediately eligible if he was entering the program now. But, I mean, generally speaking, this is more like what I would have thought we'd be building on.