unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 6: Memphis 

cornfed24-7

3 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

Still some good and bad, but in the end it came down to turnovers, and the main guys were the ones turning the ball over. Kept it within 4-6 for a long time, but eventually turning the ball over as much as we did was going to catch up. 

-Sam has been very disappointing these last few games. Might still be an adjustment period from NDSU to HM, but I have not been impressed. I still like him a ton and like what he brings, but he's turnover prone at times and isn't aggressive to score. I like that he tries to actually run the offense most of the time though, and he is great at pushing the ball on the break, just needs to be more comfortable in the half court, specifically vs pressure. 

-Despite it being a double digit loss, 3 ball was shot the same both ways with both teams making 9. Difference was Neb gave them 20 free possessions, with Memphis only turning the ball over 13 times. 

-Walker looked good out there, and I liked what he did at times and what he can do moving forward. He catches the ball and typically makes a decision on what he wants fairly quickly, whether it be DHOs, drive to the cup, or kickout to guards. 

-Keisei continues to be a sparkplug this team needs. When he gives you double digit points off the bench every night basically, that helps immensely. 

-While I love Dawson's defense, his offense was the determining factor for him playing a ton or not, and right now he seems indecisive. Wants to shoot it seems, but doesn't trust himself. 

-I do really like how often the team turns passes into buckets. 17 assists on 22 made buckets is a pretty good number honestly.

FSU on sunday and they're only 1-6, with losses to Stetson, UCF, Troy, UF, Siena, and Stanford. Their only win is vs Mercer, with it only being a 9 point win. I'm looking and it seems like a team that can be beat up on the glass. Matchup wise, I like it, just need to execute. 

Sam is really slow.  In not sure EB has the best handles but he seems to push the pace.  Wonder if him playing more pg would be better but then what to you do with Sam?  He's not a 3 point threat, this team is just so messed up still in year 4.  

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

'm in the belief that we had a better chance of making a bowl game had we kept Frost through the entire season.

Not to hijack the thread but how? Frost lost to NW and Ga Southern, the rest of the schedule was significantly more difficult...He maybe would have won 1 more game. 

6 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Not to hijack the thread but how? Frost lost to NW and Ga Southern, the rest of the schedule was significantly more difficult...He maybe would have won 1 more game. 

There is an element of "do the players care anymore?" that does need to be considered and hard to measure. And this is assuming it just wasn't a complete lost cause with the locker room.

But Mickey's overall wins matched Frost's worst seasons. And his conference record was right around where Frost typically ended up. It's the same team. It's not like Mickey had any different players or coaches than Frost had, so you're dealing with the exact same set of cards.

Our conference wins were against 1-6 and 2-7 (last and 2nd to last B1G East) teams prior to Iowa. If Frost didn't win those two games it would've been some other one we never would have expected. Regardless, the one thing you could rely on Frost for was to keep games close enough to give you hope they're not a complete wreck, then remind you the next week that they're no better than the bottom of the Big Ten.

8 hours ago, Craytonhater said:

Sam is really slow.  In not sure EB has the best handles but he seems to push the pace.  Wonder if him playing more pg would be better but then what to you do with Sam?  He's not a 3 point threat, this team is just so messed up still in year 4.  

Not to hijack the thread by talking about basketball, but I think you have to stick with Sam. We all knew going into the season that we'd struggle to score, so why push the pace? We may have lost to Memphis (29 KenPom), but we were competitive. We'll win a few conference games playing like this.

And not to be a broken record on this, but wtf is Gary doing shooting 3s? He's a >20% career shooter and he's SECOND ON THE TEAM IN ATTEMPTS. Blame Matt A all you want for the last 4 years, but it's obvious there's no accountability from the head coach.

47 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Not to hijack the thread by talking about basketball, but I think you have to stick with Sam. We all knew going into the season that we'd struggle to score, so why push the pace? We may have lost to Memphis (29 KenPom), but we were competitive. We'll win a few conference games playing like this.

And not to be a broken record on this, but wtf is Gary doing shooting 3s? He's a >20% career shooter and he's SECOND ON THE TEAM IN ATTEMPTS. Blame Matt A all you want for the last 4 years, but it's obvious there's no accountability from the head coach.

I agee on the accoutability piece.  Fred made his bed and now is lying in it.  He's the one the let Matt A do what he did for 3 years and is the reason the roster is what it is today.  Its gonna get ugly quick the next 2 weeks.

4 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

So....what did Walker say post game?  

There aren't any local reporters on site in Orlando to make a request to speak to him. They just pull quotes from Fred from the postgame radio show.

Have to wait until the next home game to make a request to talk to him. And he doesn't have to speak if he doesn't want to.

No local reporter is going to burn his/her bridges with the athletic dept to try to dig into an issue like this regarding a player if he doesn't want to talk about it, especially for the basketball program. Hell, no local reporter still has been willing to to dig into Frost's off the field issues, and those were way more obvious. Considering that, there's no way any of them are doing it for a basketball player.

I'd guess he may choose to speak after a game about the game at some point, but he'll refuse to specifically address what was going on, other than saying he had a "medical issue." They chose that wording for a reason, after all.

I'd guarantee that if he doesn't want to talk about it, the matter is officially over as far as the local media is concerned.

30 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Not sure if it makes any difference but wonder how we handle the pressure out there with Lloyd as another ball handler

Good idea. What do we have to lose at this point? Maybe he has already made up his mind and is ready to leave, so he wants to preserve the year. But if it's Fred's choice that's he's redshirting, we might as well try having him out there at this point. 

My thought going into the season was we would surprise a few teams and win some games because we would shoot it really well. I'd say we had one of our better shooting performances in this game and wasted it with 20 turnovers. 

Having Walker back helps the offense, and he'll take better care of the ball as he gets back in the flow, so we'll probably still steal a few games. But -- breaking news here -- that's nowhere near good enough in year 4.

Obviously a lot going to yesterday but was just putting it together today that Walker had 9 turnovers because he was effectively acting as the PG out of the paint because he was just whipping balls around. I'd expect him to get better as he gets more games under his belt and hopefully this will help us in relieving some of the pressure off of Sam. It's a strategy worth exploring because you can only go so far between offensive rebounds and Sam backing down small guards into the paint.

A very beatable Florida St team coming up next, especially if we can keep our composure for most of the game because that's a team that will self-destruct for you.

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Good idea. What do we have to lose at this point? Maybe he has already made up his mind and is ready to leave, so he wants to preserve the year. But if it's Fred's choice that's he's redshirting, we might as well try having him out there at this point. 

Lloyd is the one choosing to redshirt. He'd easily be playing 10+ minutes a game if we wasn't sitting out.

13 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm not sure that's the reason.

I'm in the belief that we had a better chance of making a bowl game had we kept Frost through the entire season. But I also believe that Trev wanted to cut ties when the time was right not only because it "felt right" at that time, but also because he didn't want to allow Frost the opportunity to even have a shot at becoming bowl eligible and going through legal grey areas where he fulfilled his signed amendment to get back to full pay and "good" standing.

If there's nothing worth playing for with or without Hoiberg that actually favors just firing him now, not keeping him around.

We fired him early because he quiet quit our flagship sports program. The guy pissed away the job.

12 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I still want to see those two on the floor together with Sam, Juwan & Emmanuel. 

My thoughts too.  At least be good at something.  Be big.  Murder the glass.  Be bullies.  

Keisei and CJ are very bad defenders.  Any of Sam/Juwan/Bando can guard the perimeter better. 

On 11/26/2022 at 10:08 AM, hhcmatt said:

Lloyd is the one choosing to redshirt. He'd easily be playing 10+ minutes a game if we wasn't sitting out.

I have this feeling that Fred sat him down and went 100% honest with him and said, "If you want to play this year I'd love to have you and there would be a place in the rotation for you.  But Ramel, chances are I won't be here next year so you can save your year of eligibility in case you want to transfer."

2 hours ago, hal9000 said:

I have this feeling that Fred sat him down and went 100% honest with him and said, "If you want to play this year I'd love to have you and there would be a place in the rotation for you.  But Ramel, chances are I won't be here next year so you can save your year of eligibility in case you want to transfer."

Not even Fred Hoiberg is this big of a boy scout. If it was up to Fred, Ramel would be playing

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Not even Fred Hoiberg is this big of a boy scout. If it was up to Fred, Ramel would be playing

Maybe the conversation was had but in reverse. "Look Coach...I think I want to save this year because I don't think you're gonna be here after this season. And then I'm probably gonna have to transfer."