unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 6: Memphis 

cornfed24-7

Lack of quickness on the perimeter is a real problem.   Sam just not holding up well.   How many times did they force us to have Walker or Gary bring the ball up the court?    Great effort by Derrick - but you could see the rust and lack of experience playing with these guys in the 9 turnovers.   I think these last 2 games would have been very different if Walker had been playing the last few weeks  (like he should have been IMO).

So now that we have our best player back (Walker) and still got whipped, are there any who think they win more than five games this year? If so, which game(s)? Boston College is possible, but after that it looks brutal. If Alberts doesn't fire Hoiberg mid-season I anticipate eighteen-to-twenty losses in the conference which would leave his conference coaching record as the worst in Division I history. Who would have thought this possible four years ago?

3 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

If Alberts doesn't fire Hoiberg mid-season

Just now, tcp said:

i doubt he fires a second coach mid season, but if the rhule rumor has legs, trev'll be free to focus on getting another hoops coach in this season =and then tking a well needed break from major changes for a couple of years

The midseason firing of Frost was personal for Trev. I don't think Trev will do the same to Hoiberg.

1 minute ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

... which would leave his conference coaching record as the worst in Division I history. Who would have thought this possible four years ago.

Not me, but then I've bought in on every coaching hire, figuring, it has to get better someday. It may not be in my lifetime (+-30 more years) but someday...

1 minute ago, hhcscott said:

Not me, but then I've bought in on every coaching hire, figuring, it has to get better someday. It may not be in my lifetime (+-30 more years) but someday...

I actually have faith in trev. but we gotta be realistic. our "brand"(i hate this term, but...) is pretty tarnished at this point.

Still some good and bad, but in the end it came down to turnovers, and the main guys were the ones turning the ball over. Kept it within 4-6 for a long time, but eventually turning the ball over as much as we did was going to catch up. 

-Sam has been very disappointing these last few games. Might still be an adjustment period from NDSU to HM, but I have not been impressed. I still like him a ton and like what he brings, but he's turnover prone at times and isn't aggressive to score. I like that he tries to actually run the offense most of the time though, and he is great at pushing the ball on the break, just needs to be more comfortable in the half court, specifically vs pressure. 

-Despite it being a double digit loss, 3 ball was shot the same both ways with both teams making 9. Difference was Neb gave them 20 free possessions, with Memphis only turning the ball over 13 times. 

-Walker looked good out there, and I liked what he did at times and what he can do moving forward. He catches the ball and typically makes a decision on what he wants fairly quickly, whether it be DHOs, drive to the cup, or kickout to guards. 

-Keisei continues to be a sparkplug this team needs. When he gives you double digit points off the bench every night basically, that helps immensely. 

-While I love Dawson's defense, his offense was the determining factor for him playing a ton or not, and right now he seems indecisive. Wants to shoot it seems, but doesn't trust himself. 

-I do really like how often the team turns passes into buckets. 17 assists on 22 made buckets is a pretty good number honestly.

FSU on sunday and they're only 1-6, with losses to Stetson, UCF, Troy, UF, Siena, and Stanford. Their only win is vs Mercer, with it only being a 9 point win. I'm looking and it seems like a team that can be beat up on the glass. Matchup wise, I like it, just need to execute. 

5 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Midseason firing isn't happening. Football Team had a legit shot at a Bowl w/o Frost, basketball has no shot at anything of value. Trev can start his search without firing Fred. 

I'm not sure that's the reason.

I'm in the belief that we had a better chance of making a bowl game had we kept Frost through the entire season. But I also believe that Trev wanted to cut ties when the time was right not only because it "felt right" at that time, but also because he didn't want to allow Frost the opportunity to even have a shot at becoming bowl eligible and going through legal grey areas where he fulfilled his signed amendment to get back to full pay and "good" standing.

If there's nothing worth playing for with or without Hoiberg that actually favors just firing him now, not keeping him around.

2 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

I didn't watch today's game but judging from the comments it seems like another Hoiberg era game. I think we all know or have known how this will end unfortunately.

Yup. Regardless what Trev does with Hoiberg during or after the season were not far from "Who's the next coach gonna be?" threads.