OT: If you missed the Westside vs. Gretna title game last night ... whoa.

Norm Peterson

That Westside-Gretna game was one for the ages. I've conferred with a fellow board member, and we agree it was maybe the best HS football game we've ever seen.

I'm still just marveling at it.

Gretna down 13 pts in the 4th quarter and they score two TDs, the last one coming with under 2 minutes left in the game, on the strength of their really tremendous QB who is a Okie State commit.

Then, Westside just needs to basically cross midfield because they have probably the best HS kicker to ever come out of Nebraska.

The kid had already made kicks of like 26, 42, 46 and 50 yards. The 50 yarder would have been good from 70th and A. I mean it hit high up on the net behind the goal posts, so easy 60 yard range.

With 4 seconds left, he has a 45 yard attempt from right between the hashmarks.

Never had a doubt. You knew it was good the moment it left his foot.

Westside wins 43-41.

Mickey called the Westside kicker after the game (which ended at like 10:30 p.m.) and offered him a full ride.

Entertaining game to watch.  Huskers let a good QB out of state...but I am sure Okie State will enjoy his talent.

Hope we can hold on to that kicker.  He is one of the best I have seen at that age.  CLUTCH!

By the way, Putney called the game, but who was the analyst?

Edited by Huskerpapa

3 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Entertaining game to watch.  Huskers let a good QB out of state...but I am sure Okie State will enjoy his talent.

Hope we can hold on to that kicker.  He is one of the best I have seen at that age.  CLUTCH!

Matt Vrzal was the analyst.  Putney did OK but had a major mistake early in saying Caleb Benning was a Husker commit.  He hasn't committed anywhere yet. 

Amazing game -hard to believe those two teams played a 7-3 game in the final last season.

And full-ride offering that kicker after the game was the biggest no-brainer decision on the planet. His kicks looked like NFL-level kicks last night. Brett Maher was a little jealous of the kid's range.

Edited by throwback

On 11/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, Huskerpapa said:

Larry Putney is a Fraternity Brother of mine & one Hell of a Break Dancer 🕺 

That Westside-Gretna game was one for the ages. I've conferred with a fellow board member, and we agree it was maybe the best HS football game we've ever seen.

I'm still just marveling at it.

Gretna down 13 pts in the 4th quarter and they score two TDs, the last one coming with under 2 minutes left in the game, on the strength of their really tremendous QB who is a Okie State commit.

Then, Westside just needs to basically cross midfield because they have probably the best HS kicker to ever come out of Nebraska.

The kid had already made kicks of like 26, 42, 46 and 50 yards. The 50 yarder would have been good from 70th and A. I mean it hit high up on the net behind the goal posts, so easy 60 yard range.

With 4 seconds left, he has a 45 yard attempt from right between the hashmarks.

Never had a doubt. You knew it was good the moment it left his foot.

Westside wins 43-41.

Mickey called the Westside kicker after the game (which ended at like 10:30 p.m.) and offered him a full ride.
Just hope the next coach honors the scholarship, if it isn't Mickey.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk