unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 4: Arkansas - Pine Bluff

cornfed24-7

46 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Saw it one possession and Pine Bluff did not score and it kind took them out of their rhythm.  Not sure if they played again but sometimes a match up looks like a man.  I think we will see it more as the season moves on.

Our defensive style in general is so different this year compared to years past. The "no middle" defense is a wrinkle teams have to prep for.  When they shoot like APB did in the first half and we are slow to rotate it looks awful, not sure on the metrics but in general the guys seem bought into the scheme. I have to think that Howard's fingerprints are all over the defense but help me out if I am wrong

First time watching a game in person this year. The overall improved effort and toughness is apparent. Still some lack of discipline and accountability with the little things.

In pregame and halftime warmups, I only saw Griesel miss a couple threes. I only saw Gary make a few. Gary can take an uncontested three every possession because the opponents want him to. But if he’s gonna make <20% of them, maybe it’s time to stop doing that (I know that he was 2-5 today). I’d like to see Sam take those attempts. 

Running our offense through Sam on the left block in the second half was beautiful. He made excellent decisions in that role that led to a lot of production. Great job by Hoiberg getting him the space and opportunity to utilize his skillset. Seemed like he had more than 7 assists. Also had some hockey assists. 

UAPB gave Oklahoma and TCU real tough games. Good job weathering the storm by the Huskers today. 

Still can’t wait to get Walker back. 

18 minutes ago, mkroll12345 said:

Very impressed by Blaise this game, still very raw but I already am starting to see improvements, a lot more vision than I expected too, Walker 25 Keita 15 Splits is gonna be a fun 1-2

He missed 4-5 easily back cut passes vs SJ and in the first half today. Second half he made a couple nice ones. Still needs to work on how to post up better but I thought he’d have a learning curve and he seems coachable.

Likes in no particular order:

Griesel was dropping dimes today. Some no-look seeing-eye passes. He doesn't have the best handles ever (and that was evident against St. John's pressure) but he has a *feel* for the game that you just can't teach.

Blaise Keita was playing like the Blaise Keita we were hoping we were getting. Speaking of Griesel dropping dimes, it was Keita on the receiving end of most of Griesel's generosity, and isn't it cool to see a big man with soft enough hands to catch a pass. Remember our starting C a couple of years ago? Also spoke French?

Wilhelm. His line: 11 minutes, 10 points on 4-5 from the field, 3 boards, 2 turnovers, 1 foul. Hardly played in the 2nd half after hitting 4 baskets in the first frame, which was curious. But we were making our comeback with Keita, so I guess you don't mess with what's working? Anyway, he showed some nifty scoring moves today. Knee looks like it's holding up well.

This team is good defensively.  There is an identity and buy in on that side of the ball.  

Offensively we have no choice but to keep the ball moving.  When it stops so do we.  We don’t have the luxury of a guy who can simply win 1v1 matchups.  But they are an unselfish bunch and I think they’ll be slightly worse than average on O by mid season.  

I don’t have any high expectations, but if you play proper defense, you’ll beat the teams you’re supposed to beat like APB.  

12 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Griesel was dropping dimes today. Some no-look seeing-eye passes. He doesn't have the best handles ever (and that was evident against St. John's pressure) but he has a *feel* for the game that you just can't teach.

Blaise Keita was playing like the Blaise Keita we were hoping we were getting. Speaking of Griesel dropping dimes, it was Keita on the receiving end of most of Griesel's generosity, and isn't it cool to see a big man with soft enough hands to catch a pass. Remember our starting C a couple of years ago? Also spoke French?

Wilhelm. His line: 11 minutes, 10 points on 4-5 from the field, 3 boards, 2 turnovers, 1 foul. Hardly played in the 2nd half after hitting 4 baskets in the first frame, which was curious. But we were making our comeback with Keita, so I guess you don't mess with what's working? Anyway, he showed some nifty scoring moves today. Knee looks like it's holding up well.

I noticed this also and actually wondered if he was hurt or something.  Would of like to see him get more playing time.  He needs it against some of these lesser opponents.  Wish it would of been asked post game.

1 minute ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I noticed this also and actually wondered if he was hurt or something.  Would of like to see him get more playing time.  He needs it against some of these lesser opponents.  Wish it would of been asked post game.

We were asking the same question.  My thought was that it may have been defensive lapses rather than on the offensive end.  Kind of the same with CJ.  

No insight, just guessing.

6 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I heard Fred say he thought WB played well but in the second half every time ABP took out their big guy we went with our small lineup. He appreciated WB selflessness as he provided energy from the bench after having a good first half.

Down 36-44, other FH teams would’ve folded. This one didn’t, so credit must be given and props to them for finishing in a major, major run.

I think Bandoumel is our only guy who may actually be able to drive hard, pull up and hit a mid range jumper, the rest of our guys don’t create for themselves.

SG played well and had a nice bounce back effort.

Tominaga looks like a jitterbug at times out there. He tried hard on defense, but his real contribution is bringing much needed energy off the bench. 

Hope Keita can build off that. It was nice.

Driving down to the game with my son I had a bad feeling about this game. Gad I was wrong.

As others have said, I like this team. 

It seems as if the entire team is made up of role players.

Noticed several times SG didn't bring the ball up the court, however he still ran the offense. 

Much better job of spacing and passing. Offense looked more organized.

When we are in zone, we need to do a better job of rotating to the ball. 

Hopefully Walker will be back son.

15 hours ago, millerhusker said:

First time watching a game in person this year. The overall improved effort and toughness is apparent. Still some lack of discipline and accountability with the little things.

In pregame and halftime warmups, I only saw Griesel miss a couple threes. I only saw Gary make a few. Gary can take an uncontested three every possession because the opponents want him to. But if he’s gonna make <20% of them, maybe it’s time to stop doing that (I know that he was 2-5 today). I’d like to see Sam take those attempts. 

Running our offense through Sam on the left block in the second half was beautiful. He made excellent decisions in that role that led to a lot of production. Great job by Hoiberg getting him the space and opportunity to utilize his skillset. Seemed like he had more than 7 assists. Also had some hockey assists. 

UAPB gave Oklahoma and TCU real tough games. Good job weathering the storm by the Huskers today. 

Still can’t wait to get Walker back. 

Maybe just maybe having Sam operate out of the post and Blaise getting more minutes will be a silver lining to Derrick not being available. 

Via UNL 

*-Nebraska’s 82 points were a season high, topping the previous high of 79 against Maine. NU averaged 1.53 points per possession in the second half. 
*-Nebraska placed a season-high four players (Juwan Gary, Wilhelm Breidenbach, C.J. Wilcher and Blaise Keita) in double figures.
*-Keita posted his first career double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds in 34 minutes. It marked his second double-digit rebounding effort of the season. 
*-With Keita’s 10 rebounds today, a Husker has grabbed 10+ rebounds in each of the last four games, the first time that has happened since the 2010-11 season. 
*- Gary reached double figures for the second time this season with 17 points (previous season high was 14 vs. Maine) and added seven rebounds and matched his career high with three steals.  His 17 points were two off a career best.
*-Wilhelm Breidenbach had a career-high 10 points on Sunday, all in the first half. That bettered his previous high of nine on two occasions, most recently against Maine in the season opener. 
*-NU has had seven different players in double figures during the first four contests.
*-Sam Griesel dished out a season-high seven assists, topping his previous NU best of four against St. John’s.
*-Nebraska committed a season-low 10 turnovers in the win. 
*-Nebraska won the rebounding battle, 37-25, including a 23-7 advantage over the final 20 minutes.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:03 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Also thought WB looked gassed in the second half when he did play. It will take some time for him to be back to 100%