uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 3: @ St. John's

uneblinstu

I got quite a chuckle this morning wading through some of the takes.  Specifically about Briedenbach.   Shoot, he didn't suck any more or less than anyone else last night.  Tie that to the fact that he is coming off major knee surgery less than a year ago, and two major knee surgeries within approximately two years.  Shoot all he does is bust his nuts trying to help his team.  

I guess some player needs to take the heat.  However, I vote that this was a total team debacle, especially in the second half.  Just saying...

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

The players on this team need to figure out what their strengths and weaknesses are and play in a way to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.  For instance, Gary shot five 3s last night (0-5) and is now 1-9 on the season.  Him shooting a 3 is a wasted possession.  Nobody shot well from 3 yesterday except Keisei, but we still need our best shooters shooting and our grit/energy players gritting and energizing.  Even though CJ is only shooting 33% on 3s so far this year, I still want him shooting when he is in there.  And if Keisei is going to play, then he needs to shoot.

The real struggle for Fred is finding a way to get his very limited number of shooters open.  This team has so many non-shooters that the defense can sag off them when they are on the perimeter and focus on our shooters.  Right now, the only players who have shown to be decent shooters are CJ, Keisei and maybe Bando.

Griesel has only made one 3 all year (1-5).  This is part of the reason that guys like Gary are shooting so many 3s.  Griesel isn't a great shooter, but he is better than most the other options.  He has to find a way to get up some 3s.

The team is now shooting 41% on FG, 28% on 3s and 61% on FTs.  Some things never change. 

Hoiberg has yet to have a team where I felt guys were honestly held accountable to their strengths and their weaknesses. Which is a massive concern to me. Is he afraid to have those conversations? Do they philosophically believe those conversations aren't necessary and the guys will figure them out? 

Gary needs to be a "shoot one, if it goes in, you get to shoot another," guy. Miss it, and you have to get to the paint and get fouled before you can shoot another one. 

I think with Sam, they might need to move him off the ball. Sam would work fine at Point Guard if we were running some Princeton/Bellarmine offense where he just needed to get us in the right set, initiate it correctly, and manage tempo. He's not that, "let's let this guy loose in transition and/or give him some ball screens and watch him go," guy. Kinda crazy they ever thought he could be, too.... Obviously, just not sure they have any other options. 

I do actually think this team looks better with Walker in. I think they're only barely able to stay "in system" right now with Kieta and/or Wilhelm in there. I have a feeling Walker is going to keep them in system more. 

10 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I got quite a chuckle this morning wading through some of the takes.  Specifically about Briedenbach.   Shoot, he didn't suck any more or less than anyone else last night.  Tie that to the fact that he is coming off major knee surgery less than a year ago, and two major knee surgeries within approximately two years.  Shoot all he does is bust his nuts trying to help his team.  

I guess some player needs to take the heat.  However, I vote that this was a total team debacle, especially in the second half.  Just saying...

Briedenbach's issues and lack of awareness in his abilities/skills were prevalent against Maine, UNO, and then shined brightly against St. John's. 

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

The players on this team need to figure out what their strengths and weaknesses are and play in a way to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.  For instance, Gary shot five 3s last night (0-5) and is now 1-9 on the season.  Him shooting a 3 is a wasted possession. 

This year is different, everyone is being held accountable, blah, blah, blah ...

Gary is a career 18% shooter on 3s. Let that sink in. And yet he took 5 3s last night. He's third on the team in 3pt attempts. He should never launch a 3 again this year, except at the end of the shot clock. How in the world can this team turn it around when the coach is oblivious to what is going on or sees it and refuses to change it? 

14 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Honestly, I don’t know about this.  We can thank St Johns as much for our first half as we can thank ourselves.

I hear you, but I saw a lot of things in the first half that go a long way towards winning games. They played defense, rebounded and were aggressive. Obviously, they have to make more shots. They did basically none of those things in the second half. If they do more of what they did in the first half for 30+ minutes a game, something they're capable of doing, I believe, they'll win some games, especially at PBA. Getting DW back will help a ton. Kieta is fighting the JUCO transition. They won't face many defenses that frenzied, either.

38 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Briedenbach's issues and lack of awareness in his abilities/skills were prevalent against Maine, UNO, and then shined brightly against St. John's. 

You've said it, he is one of many members of the team suffering the same malady.  For example, I love Gary's motor, especially around the rim.  But what is his perimeter shooting percentage?  I do not want to focus on the individual (as many wishes to do on WB and a few others), this has been and remains a systematic issue.  

Perhaps things will change.  I sure hope it does.

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, HB said:

Right.  Come back in 3 months and we'll see if I was out of line.  I'm 3 for 3 the last three years knowing we suck and this product is an abomination.  

You won't have to wait 3 months. It will all be over for HCFH before Christmas.

Unfortunately which ever assistant takes over won't be able to undo what's already been done.

For all those people bagging on Wilhelm Breidenbach, I'd just like to remind you that Adrian Martinez has 6 TD passes to only 1 INT this year. And he's the starting QB for a top 20 FB team. Sometimes the way the tools perform is the result of the carpenter using them.

I'd also like to remind y'all that, in terms of game experience, he's essentially a first-semester freshman.

I don't know about top 50 recruits. But I'd say he was certainly worthy of Rivals 150 inclusion.

Go easy on my man.

2 hours ago, HB said:

Right.  Come back in 3 months and we'll see if I was out of line.  I'm 3 for 3 the last three years knowing we suck and this product is an abomination.  

HB, I will vouch for your predictive accuracy that NU would suck entering each of previous three embarrassing Hoiberg-led years. Incredibly, this year will likely be Hoiberg's worst, a noteworthy accomplishment should it come to pass. I don't see NU winning more that two conference games. It is more likely they win none.

Currently Hoiberg is the worst coach in modern, power-conference history. The statistics do not lie. If I hadn't been an NU follower my whole life I'd not have believed it was possible to be this bad consistently for this long. Where does Fred find the stamina to face the media every week for years? Every press conference we hear the same claptrap. Does he actually believe it or is he refusing to resign because the money is too good?

The Hoiberg-related contributions to NU baskeball now stand at thirteen years of losing basketball. His maternal grandfather Jerry Bush "led" Nebraska for nine years and never had a winning record. He percentages were .380 and .333 for overall and conference records respectively. Now Fred comes in and takes NU to even worse depths: .280 and .153! This is a man who makes $3.25 m. each year to produce laughable, embarrassing teams. If Alberts doesn't fire this man I don't know why anyone would waste money on tickets, concessions, merchandise or time and fuel costs. In protest I haven't spent one dime on NU basketball during Hoiberg's career, and I will continue the boycott until Alberts hires a coach who can give the fans a modicum of hope. NU men's athletics (big three sports) are a national joke. Athletic expenses are in the top-20 in all of Div. I sports yet they field losing teams (nearly) every year. Last night the announcers humorously asked the national audience to guess the last time NU won a tournament game, at which point he laughingly delivered the punch-line: NEVER! Something we who frequent this grim ghetto of cyberspace know, but is now a factoid many hundreds of thousands more know. Nearly all fans know how shitty the football program is, but at least the basketball team could fail in relative obscurity.... 

Does anyone not dropped on their head as a child think this team has any potential for success this season? What is success at NU? Thirteenth place in the conference? HB and I know the answer. I'm guessing Norm knows the answer too. Stop lying to yourselves. Even though NU under Hoiberg is the worst, it could get even more grim. They could fail to win a conference game, and then do it again next year. (Look at who they having coming back!) Say what you want about Abdelmassih but at least he brought talented players to the program. Granted Hoiberg did nothing with these recruits, but the type of players Hoiberg is involved with now are back to Collier and Sadler levels. Case in point: only at NU could a first-team Junior College All-American come in an be as worthless as Keita. Truly astonishing!

Alberts fired an incompetent three games into the football season. What is he waiting for? 

17 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

HB, I will vouch for your predictive accuracy that NU would suck entering each of previous three embarrassing Hoiberg-led years. Incredibly, this year will likely be Hoiberg's worst, a noteworthy accomplishment should it come to pass. I don't see NU winning more that two conference games. It is more likely they win none.

Currently Hoiberg is the worst coach in modern, power-conference history. The statistics do not lie. If I hadn't been an NU follower my whole life I'd not have believed it was possible to be this bad consistently for this long. Where does Fred find the stamina to face the media every week for years? Every press conference we hear the same claptrap. Does he actually believe it or is he refusing to resign because the money is too good?

The Hoiberg-related contributions to NU baskeball now stand at thirteen years of losing basketball. His maternal grandfather Jerry Bush "led" Nebraska for nine years and never had a winning record. He percentages were .380 and .333 for overall and conference records respectively. Now Fred comes in and takes NU to even worse depths: .280 and .153! This is a man who makes $3.25 m. each year to produce laughable, embarrassing teams. If Alberts doesn't fire this man I don't know why anyone would waste money on tickets, concessions, merchandise or time and fuel costs. In protest I haven't spent one dime on NU basketball during Hoiberg's career, and I will continue the boycott until Alberts hires a coach who can give the fans a modicum of hope. NU men's athletics (big three sports) are a national joke. Athletic expenses are in the top-20 in all of Div. I sports yet they field losing teams (nearly) every year. Last night the announcers humorously asked the national audience to guess the last time NU won a tournament game, at which point he laughingly delivered the punch-line: NEVER! Something we who frequent this grim ghetto of cyberspace know, but is now a factoid many hundreds of thousands more know. Nearly all fans know how shitty the football program is, but at least the basketball team could fail in relative obscurity.... 

Does anyone not dropped on their head as a child think this team has any potential for success this season? What is success at NU? Thirteenth place in the conference? HB and I know the answer. I'm guessing Norm knows the answer too. Stop lying to yourselves. Even though NU under Hoiberg is the worst, it could get even more grim. They could fail to win a conference game, and then do it again next year. (Look at who they having coming back!) Say what you want about Abdelmassih but at least he brought talented players to the program. Granted Hoiberg did nothing with these recruits, but the type of players Hoiberg is involved with now are back to Collier and Sadler levels. Case in point: only at NU could a first-team Junior College All-American come in an be as worthless as Keita. Truly astonishing!

Alberts fired an incompetent three games into the football season. What is he waiting for? 

Why is it that you put so much effort into something that you so clearly hate?  I would suggest that you try finding a different hobby.  We'd all be so much better off for it.

49r, you state you know I put effort into something I hate?

One, you don't know how much effort I exert, and two, how do you know what I hate? It is obvious that if I put a lot of effort in to this (or any) endeavor it follows that I must not hate it, since it is a voluntary activity.

Another mistake is that you speak for everyone else when it is demonstrable that some have responded to my criticisms in the affirmative.

To your point, I wonder why you would spend any effort responding to me if you don't like me or my positions. You just stated it was not sensible that I do something I hate, yet you just did the same thing!

You argument brings into question the very purpose and function of a message board itself. It is for people to exchange thoughts. It appears you would like everyone to accept your positions and then shut down the board.

In spite of your kindergarten response, Hoiberg remains statistically the worst coach in Div. 1 history. We fans, who obviously care, merely desire a decent coach to lead the team we follow. Derp!

Perhaps you would do better to find a remedial book on logic rather than waste time as a muddle-headed scold on this board.

3 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

49r, you state you know I put effort into something I hate?

One, you don't know how much effort I exert, and two, how do you know what I hate? It is obvious that if I put a lot of effort in to this (or any) endeavor it follows that I must not hate it, since it is a voluntary activity.

Another mistake is that you speak for everyone else when it is demonstrable that some have responded to my criticisms in the affirmative.

To your point, I wonder why you would spend any effort responding to me if you don't like me or my positions. You just stated it was not sensible that I do something I hate, yet you just did the same thing!

You argument brings into question the very purpose and function of a message board itself. It is for people to exchange thoughts. It appears you would like everyone to accept your positions and then shut down the board.

In spite of your kindergarten response, Hoiberg remains statistically the worst coach in Div. 1 history. We fans, who obviously care, merely desire a decent coach to lead the team we follow. Derp!

Perhaps you would do better to find a remedial book on logic rather than waste time as a muddle-headed scold on this board.

Your definition of the worst coach in Div 1 is a coach who led his team to 4 NCAA tournaments, with a Sweet 16 appearance?

1 hour ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Yeah I think everyone knows this? Who on here is like, "Hoiberg is the man!!!"? 

3 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

He's the worst coach in Nebraska BBall History...wait...what?!? I doubt anyone on this site knew that or...or everyone already knew that and you just enjoy pouring salt.

HCFH is not getting another year. He's not even going to make it Christmas. TA has another very important matter that he's dealing with right now. Once that matter is resolved, he can attend to the Men's Basketball Team.

" In protest I haven't spent one dime on NU basketball during Hoiberg's career, and I will continue the boycott until Alberts hires a coach who can give the fans a modicum of hope."

Stunning and Brave. A true representative of the Nebraska fan base. One I have encountered many times before.

When the going gets tough, these fans pout. I seriously doubt @Norm Peterson or @HB have given up their season tickets, nor have I. I continued to support this program, and will do so into the future.

6 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

He's the worst coach in Nebraska BBall History...wait...what?!? I doubt anyone on this site knew that or...or everyone already knew that and you just enjoy pouring salt.

HCFH is not getting another year. He's not even going to make it Christmas. TA has another very important matter that he's dealing with right now. Once that matter is resolved, he can attend to the Men's Basketball Team.

" In protest I haven't spent one dime on NU basketball during Hoiberg's career, and I will continue the boycott until Alberts hires a coach who can give the fans a modicum of hope."

Stunning and Brave. A true representative of the Nebraska fan base. One I have encountered many times before.

When the going gets tough, these fans pout. I seriously doubt @Norm Peterson or @HB have given up their season tickets, nor have I. I continued to support this program, and will do so into the future.

As for me, I'll still go to every home game, still donate, and still watch all the other games on TV.  It's a habit I can't break at this stage of my life.   But as a 45 year season ticket holder, this 4 year product is the worst, by far, of anything I have seen.  Frustration, and a certain amount of venting, should be expected.  

5 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I feel like you need to read more of my posts and get a better idea of where I'm coming from and how critical I am of this team/coaching staff. 

I saw things on the defensive end as far as attitude, toughness, physicality, tougherness last night that I haven't seen for years. What they did in the first half, and not cave under what St. John's was doing, was also very impressive to me. Watching that fist fight, to come out with a nice lead going into halftime was pretty impressive to me. Kinda goes beyond the stats, score, etc... 

No, I read all of your posts, and agree with many of them.  And respect all of them. 

I just saw something completely different last night, from  the 15 minute mark of the first half.   And this offense.....can't stand watchin it.  Finally, I appreciate more togetherness as much as anyone, but I saw some really bad skills last night from multiple players, which no amount of attitude and toughness is going to overcome.  In year 4, we don't have players who can compete in our league.  And that is sad.

Edited by HB

4 hours ago, 49r said:

Why would you even bother to do that?

To enjoy the sweet, sweet taste of a Creighton loss.

I used to turn it on if I saw they were down by 12, but they turned around and won that game and I was sick for a week.  Lesson learned, I don't watch unless they are down 20.