uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 3: @ St. John's

uneblinstu

Disappointed but not as disappointed as most of you.   We held off the pressure for awhile but ultimately it overwhelmed us.   Real problem is that our bigs play incredibly soft St John's figured that out and we had no answer.    Getting Walker will make a big difference with that part - but Wilhelm just seems lost at this level - and Keita has just as clearly not adjusted to D1 yet at a minimum.   

Did not expect to win this game and was really surprised to be ahead at half - particularly as poorly as we shot the ball (I know St Johns shot it worse in the first half).  But we needed a quicker whistle to take them out of their pressure game and give us a chance to keep our composure - and the opposite happened especially in the 2nd half.   

I do like that this team plays hard on D - even when things are going poorly and I still think they are much more fun to watch than what we saw the last couple years even if they are not as skilled in some ways as those teams.

Curbelo and that St. John's team are going to get humbled in a big way the first time they play a team with a good backcourt. They aren't going to be able to stop anybody in the Big East. Disappointed in the way Hoiberg decided to play this game. St. John's tries to speed you up, so we tried to slow it down and make it a halfcourt game. Thing is, I think we'd have been better off by taking what St. John's gives you. Their guards couldn't keep Sam in front of them the handful of times he decided to just go. Once he got them on his hip, they couldn't get back in front and he made good transition decisions in those situations that led to points. Almost all of his and Bandoumel's turnovers came in the halfcourt. I think Sam will figure out which passes he can and cannot make at this level and improve. Bandoumel, however, is not a natural ball handler at all. Ball gets away from his body any time he takes more than two dribbles. 

A very average Big East center made our posts look like children. Going to be a big issue until Walker comes back. And a big issue in the future unless we get a transfer or two. 

I'm afraid CJ is going to win us (or keep us in) a few games when he's hot, and be a non-factor in all the others.

Still looking forward to watching this team progress this year. 

Edited by millerhusker

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Utah is down 13-6 right now to Sam Houston. If Smith has a rough season at Utah does anybody think he would be dumb enough to take this job?

Would be awesome. I have a feeling there’s gonna be some big name teams going against us for coaches this off-season, tho. Syracuse and Georgetown are two of them. 

I know St Johns missed shots but there were possessions where our defense was outstanding.  We rotated well, took charges and played with intensity.  In the second half we were man handled.  They were physical, aggressive on the boards and took us out of our game.  Their defense got their offense going which didn't allow our defense to guard a slow half court game.  

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Dare I say I was…….. encouraged… by that game?

I think St John’s has a shot at being good. Mike Anderson is probably one of the most underrated coaches out there, and they’re one of the most physical teams I’ve seen play the game in a while. 

U gotta be kidding me.   Most of our players can’t shoot or dribble.  We can’t shoot free throws.  We gave up 21 offensive rebounds.  No handles.  Offensive “scheme” still involves lots of one on one, dribbling, and piss poor ball movement.  Trev should make Fred hide in a dark office and watch film of Creighton.  It’s called ball movement.  As in, have some.   This can’t end soon enough.