Nebraska (2-0) vs. St. John's (3-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Seems like Molly Hatchet opened for somebody at Pershing back in the '70s, but maybe I'm not remembering that quite right.

GettyImages-862431374-crop-6abc232.jpg?q

They opened for Blue Oyster Cult in Omaha in the late 70s or early 80s also.

Edited by BigTate

20 hours ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

St. John’s opens as 9.5 point favorites over the Huskers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what's really interesting is that the O/U was set at 159.5 - that seems absurdly high.  Unless there is overtime, I struggle seeing this many points.  I think we are more competent defensively this year (at least we play harder) and we will still likely struggle to score at a super high clip.  Maybe St. John's is a horrible defensive team and this will be a track meet but I'm skeptical.

8 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I think what's really interesting is that the O/U was set at 159.5 - that seems absurdly high.  Unless there is overtime, I struggle seeing this many points.  I think we are more competent defensively this year (at least we play harder) and we will still likely struggle to score at a super high clip.  Maybe St. John's is a horrible defensive team and this will be a track meet but I'm skeptical.

According to barttorvik.com, we are both top 25 in pace. In fact, last i checked St Johns was #2. I think the only way we are in the 60's is if we turn it over a bunch and/or shoot horribly. Both of those would mean we lose by 20+

1 hour ago, MichHusker said:

According to barttorvik.com, we are both top 25 in pace. In fact, last i checked St Johns was #2. I think the only way we are in the 60's is if we turn it over a bunch and/or shoot horribly. Both of those would mean we lose by 20+

Yes, good points and it will be interesting to see how the game flow unfolds.  My guess is that our current pace has been more dictated by the quality of our opponents then hopefully a concerted effort.  Hoiberg's style has always been fast but my hope, possibly a pipe dream, is that he's learned that against Big 10 and higher quality teams that unless you really have the dudes to outscore someone, you're best bet is to ugly the game up and win with defense.

The pre-game talk was all about St. John's pressure, but it's worth pointing out that Nebraska is forcing turnovers at a higher rate than St. John's does. The Johnnies are a little above average in that area after being 33rd last year. They have, however, been shooting the ball at an outlier level for them to this point. Their offense has been better than their defense to this point against low-level competition. 

3 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Yes, good points and it will be interesting to see how the game flow unfolds.  My guess is that our current pace has been more dictated by the quality of our opponents then hopefully a concerted effort.  Hoiberg's style has always been fast but my hope, possibly a pipe dream, is that he's learned that against Big 10 and higher quality teams that unless you really have the dudes to outscore someone, you're best bet is to ugly the game up and win with defense.

You can focus on defense while still pushing the pace strategically. If Nebraska is going to struggle in the halfcourt offensively, they're going to need to steal some easy points wherever they can, and trying to beat the defense down the floor is one way to do that. I think Griesel has done a good job of slowing the tempo down when the situation calls for it. I'm not convinced Nebraska has the personnel to be good enough on defense to consistently hold teams in the upper 50s or lower 60s; they're going to have to find a way to generate points. What they can't do is force shots early in possessions and force tempo that way (which they're not; KenPom has them 255th in average possession length through two games). 

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

The pre-game talk was all about St. John's pressure, but it's worth pointing out that Nebraska is forcing turnovers at a higher rate than St. John's does. The Johnnies are a little above average in that area after being 33rd last year. They have, however, been shooting the ball at an outlier level for them to this point. Their offense has been better than their defense to this point against low-level competition. 

The last couple of teams weren't exactly crumbling under their often out of sync pressure.  They threw zone at Central Connecticut to take control.