CREIGHTON GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

We got out hustled in the first qtr, and got way to far behind.             

Creighton's intensity/focus  is the difference.  We picked up our intensity in the first half.,,,but too late. But panic kind of set in in the second half.

The Gonzaga game was the same thing in the tourney.  ......I hope we learned a lesson.

And we got out shot by far.  We missed so many shots...that kind of surprised a little. 

The Big East officials see the game differently than B1G officials.  Issies patented move under the basket was called traveling ??   Lots of contact that wasn't called.

While the different officiating wouldn't win the game for NU...it did effect us some. 

Hoke can play, and can shoot. Will do ok this year. Molarity, Stewart, and others off the bench had good minutes. But we were trying to push the pace, maybe to far beyond what we're used to playing. But we an learn from that too.

Playing too weak opponents beforehand didn't help either.

On to the next couple, lets see if we can have more intensity and focus. No doubt the women will take this one to heart, next time out.

24 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Yikes. Will our men fare better in Omaha? 

Not likely.  Crayton has a system, plugs in players year after year and they run that system very well, usually to near perfection against Nebraska.  Fred certainly hasn't figured out how to deal with the way they play.

18 minutes ago, NUtball said:

Not likely.  Crayton has a system, plugs in players year after year and they run that system very well, usually to near perfection against Nebraska.  Fred certainly hasn't figured out how to deal with the way they play.

Our size this year has an opportunity to pose some issues for them. But they’ll be way more battle tested than we will by the time we play them with them playing possibly 3 or 4 ranked teams before coming back to Omaha to play us. 

Ladies will be fine. Needed a good test like this to see where they’re at. Need to emphasize defensive intensity going forward. 

Creighton has owned us for awhile.  I doubt any team goals were derailed last night.  With regard to team defense, we miss some departed players. Ruby, Scoggin, Cayton, and even Brown brought needed energy to the floor.  Bella was a stud.  Others need to step up. When Sam returns, and MM joins the team, that should help.  Like most years, buckle up.  BBall seasons are unique roller coaster rides.

I watched every painful moment.  Huskers seemed to have a plan but could not execute it against such active, aggressive, and adroit defenders.  I don't understand all the throwaways trying to get the ball to AM.  Surely that has been practiced 1000 times. I thought we really miss Bella's defense and Sam's ability to drive to the hoop.  When AW#3, attempted her drives, she was consistently cut off by a quick defender. I too am eager to see what MM can contribute, but I really don't think she would have made much difference last night. 

2 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Creighton has owned us for awhile.  I doubt any team goals were derailed last night.  With regard to team defense, we miss some departed players. Ruby, Scoggin, Cayton, and even Brown brought needed energy to the floor.  Bella was a stud.  Others need to step up. When Sam returns, and MM joins the team, that should help.  Like most years, buckle up.  BBall seasons are unique roller coaster rides.

I think Cravens is probably a bigger loss than some might have thought, although a few have mentioned it in other threads.  She was the player who did most of the dirty work down low and there isn't really a replacement for her on the roster right now.

opinions please .... what do you folks think of the effect on depth perception while shooting at Sokol?  The view of the basket from, say, the top of the key is different than the view in larger arenas.  Sokol, if i recall it correctly, is much more compact.  Nearly all players played their HS ball in smaller gyms and i am not sure what the UNL practice court looks like but I have heard it said that some players' depth perception is thrown off.  Opinions? 

10 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

opinions please .... what do you folks think of the effect on depth perception while shooting at Sokol?  The view of the basket from, say, the top of the key is different than the view in larger arenas.  Sokol, if i recall it correctly, is much more compact.  Nearly all players played their HS ball in smaller gyms and i am not sure what the UNL practice court looks like but I have heard it said that some players' depth perception is thrown off.  Opinions? 

https://huskers.com/facilities/hendricks-training-complex/16

I think that they built a really nice high school type gym.The funky Glass windows up high in the end zones gives them a nice home court advantage especially during day games. I have said this for years.  Nebraska never plays well there. But we need to adjust to the hand that is dealt us.  Also Connie Yori being an in game consultant really helps them also.

Outside of a poor shooting performance last year, and if they did not shoot so poor may have even won that game. When does Amy say to herself that she needs to rethink her approach to Creighton and teams similar to Creighton? I think Amy can be real predictable. How often has she changed her starters depending on opponent? Outside of illness, injury she sticks with the same group from the opening tip, to the start of the second half for the season. Yes there are the rare changes but not very often. Has she improved as a D1 P5 coach? Yes she has but she still has little things that seem to come back and bite us in the...well you know where I am going with this. Now I do think a loss like this can serve as a wake up call for us. I expect a better game at Drake.