uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 2: Omaha

HuskerFever

8 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Bad shot selection and forced shots lead to run outs and better looks for Omaha.  

That got me thinking: are we taking better shots so far this year? We're ranked 190 in offensive shot quality (according to ShotQuality.com), compared to 205 last years, so there is some improvement. We were 248 in 2020-21 (lot of chuckers on that team, although Teddy, Delano and Trey could make tough shots).

If you want to pick one reason why Fred's teams have been so bad, shot selection might be the one.

The real difference so far this year is that our defense is 45th in forcing our opponents to take bad shots, so our shot quality differential is ranked 90. Rebounding is much improved too.

https://shotquality.com/team-standings

Edited by Chuck Taylor
addition

6 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Random question: Anyone partaking of those expensive beers yet, and any thoughts on the effect upon spectators noted? Maybe that's why the UNO guy was so obnoxious?

A guy the row ahead of me got a beer. And let's just say unless UNO guy laid down a Benjamin on his beer purchases, that's probably not the reason why.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

That got me thinking: are we taking better shots so far this year? We're ranked 190 in offensive shot quality (according to ShotQuality.com), compared to 205 last years, so there is some improvement. We were 248 in 2020-21 (lot of chuckers on that team, although Teddy, Delano and Trey could make tough shots).

If you want to pick one reason why Fred's teams have been so bad, shot selection might be the one.

The real difference so far this year is that our defense is 45th in forcing our opponents to take bad shots, so our shot quality differential is ranked 90. Rebounding is much improved too.

https://shotquality.com/team-standings

Interesting observations. I place shot selection right behind roster building on the list of criticisms of Fred's tenure. I get that he wants to give guys freedom to take shots but the light is a little too green for some. I agree that there is definite improvement this year already but we do not have a lot of guys that can blow by their man and get to the rim, which also means we don't have a lot of drive and kick to open shooters. Overall the offense looks better, but having to rely on set pieces to get good looks without a guy to create open looks off the dribble seems more difficult so I don't know if we should expect our shot quality ranking to improve that much. 

First, this team is so much more likable and enjoyable to watch IMO (at least so far 😁).

The good news is Nebraska missed 13 free throws and still won comfortably by 15.  The bad news is Nebraska missed 13 free throws.  Are free throws going to be the achilles heel for this team all year?  It is possible.  We have multiple players that have really struggled at the line so far--Gary, Dawson, Keita, Wilhelm.

Defense--  We are not the longest or the quickest or the most athletic defense, but it just seems like every single player on the floor gets down in his stance, bends his knees and moves his feet.  I thought Griesel did an excellent job moving his feet and cutting off penetration by their PG.  Griesel isn't the fleetest of foot, and he will get beat on occasion in league play, but it won't be because of lack of effort.  Same can be said for most all of the players based on what they have shown so far. 

As others have noted, there was a rough stretch in the first half where for some reason players seem to take turns wildly driving the lane into a mass of bodies and throwing up a desperation shot at the rim.  This is something that can be corrected and I think this team has the disposition to learn from their mistakes.  Plus, it seems that whenever the opponent goes on a run, ultimately it is Griesel that slows things down and makes a play.  He is the steady leader we have lacked the last 3 years.

Keita-- I have to eat my words on him.  Before the game I said he probably shouldn't play in this one.  I was wrong.  He was very, very solid.  He did have 4 turnovers, but other than that he did everything we could hope from him at this point.  The best part-- he boxes out!  There was one rebound where he had good position, and the ball bounced farther off the rim than usual, and he just backed up the defender all the way until he could secure the rebound.  This is so basic and fundamental, but something so few players today actually do.

CJ - was great to see Wilcher get it going.  He was hot and the team found him.  We are going to need him to continue to play with confidence and shoot when open because he is our best shooter by far.

Wilhelm looked good against Maine, but has struggled in every other game he has played (this year and last).  He reverted back to getting stupid over-aggressive fouls and just never got in a flow.  His solid performance against Maine showed his potential, but he has to get more consistent.

Bando was fun to watch last night.  Dawson is very athletic and plays hard.  He is offense is not pretty, but he did have a 3 and a dunk last night, so those are just bonus points. 

Concerns:  Are the nagging injuries already piling up?  Walker is out with some mysterious healthcare issue.  Gary apparently has been dealing with a shoulder issue for a while, who knows how serious or how much it effects his play.  And it seemed like Wilcher was half limping during the parts of the game and Fred seemed to allude to him having soreness or an injury as well.  This team simply does not have the luxury or the depth to have injuries, especially so early in the season.

Edited by NUdiehard

43 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Random question: Anyone partaking of those expensive beers yet, and any thoughts on the effect upon spectators noted? Maybe that's why the UNO guy was so obnoxious?

Actually what I wonder is whether or not it affects the bars outside the arena. I stopped by Longwells for a quick pint before the game and was surprised that it wasn't packed.  I don't often get that chance so maybe that is the norm for a Thursday game vs a lower tier opponent.

50 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Bought one during the exhibition game.  Saw a bunch of people carry two of the large beers to their seats yesterday. They had the beer stands open for the exhibtion game but that's about it.  I don't know about the other side of the area as I haven't walked around, but looks like 90% of the consessions are closed. don't know if they just don't have enough people..or aren't selling enough food.  

16 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Actually what I wonder is whether or not it affects the bars outside the arena. I stopped by Longwells for a quick pint before the game and was surprised that it wasn't packed.  I don't often get that chance so maybe that is the norm for a Thursday game vs a lower tier opponent.

Gate was crowded before and after.

The reality is that our free throws weren't falling last night.  However, I'm not in panic mode yet.  Form looks good, releases look good, shots simply didn't fall.  Putting too much emphasis on it likely will create more issues then will be solved.

The two who may struggle more than others may be Gary and Blaise, but we shall see.

Nebraska Postgame Notes
*-C.J. Wilcher finished with a career-high 21 points, bettering his previous best of 17 against Auburn on Dec. 11, 2021. Wilcher also had a career best two blocked shots in the win. He had just four in his college career entering tonight’s contest.
* Sam Griesel reached 1,000 career points with his first basket of the night coming at the 14:58 mark of the contest and finished with 18 points, seven rebounds and three assists. 
*-Blaise Keita set season highs in both points (nine) and rebounds (12). It is the second time in as many games that a Husker grabbed 10+ rebounds in a game. 
*-With the win, Nebraska improved to 5-0 all-time against Omaha. 
*-Emmanuel Bandoumel had 18 points, including six points on a pair of 3-pointers in Nebraska’s game-opening 11-0 run. 
*-Nebraska has not trailed in either of its two games this season 
*-Nebraska has now had double-figure runs in each of the first two games

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Based on the photos I've seen of the beer selection, I'm disappointed they haven't partnered with a local brewery yet to create their own Husker branded collaboration.

This is a very common practice among many colleges who serve beer at sporting events.

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Based on the photos I've seen of the beer selection, I'm disappointed they haven't partnered with a local brewery yet to create their own Husker branded collaboration.

This is a very common practice among many colleges who serve beer at sporting events.

I thought they had Hail Ale on tap there, no?

15 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

They have Zipline's 'Dear Old Nebraska Brew' on tap

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

Is that sold just at Nebraska sporting events, or they sell that at the brewery as well?

Here's an example of another Big Ten school who's partnered with the athletic department/university:

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2018/Q3/purdue-and-peoples-brewing-introduce-boiler-black-beer.html

10 minutes ago, 49r said:

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

They have Zipline's 'Dear Old Nebraska Brew' on tap

First off, great to hear there's a good selection of local craft options. That was not very evident from what I had been seeing from people on the first day they sold beer. That's great!

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Strick was pretty tough on our shot selection last night during the BTN+ broadcast. And rightfully so. 

And we can all be pretty tough on Strick for whatever the hell he's been wearing to the arena for the first two games. The most 90s suit of all time. Almost looks like pajamas. 

5 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

And we can all be pretty tough on Strick for whatever the hell he's been wearing to the arena for the first two games. The most 90s suit of all time. Almost looks like pajamas. 

Please don't ruin the rest of our chances to hang out with Erick Strickland

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Sam Griesel's command. Favorite player of the Hoiberg era? Yeah, quite possibly. He doesn't have the best handles ever for a PG. He's not the best shooter ever. He isn't going to overwhelm you with athleticism.

Sam needs to take better 3pt shots, period. Kind of been annoyed by the ones he decides to pull the trigger on. He's completely capable. But the end of shot clock, one on one, step backs are not his game. I think he's a fully capable shooter if he would find a way to get better in-rhythm shots. 

I have actually been slightly impressed with his athleticism? He's a thick, 6'7" dude, and he moves around pretty dang well for his size.