Forecasting 2023-24 lineup

Norm Peterson

Signing day made me think about who we're bringing in and where they might fit in a couple of years.

We have three seniors and two juniors who will absolutely be gone two years from now:

Srs: Griesel; Walker; Bandoumel

Jrs: Gary; Tominaga

That's basically your rotation right now with underclassmen CJ, Wilhelm and Blaise thrown in. And Denim. And they're gone in 2 years.

So, 2 years from now, if ppl stick around, we'll have:

Srs: Wilcher; Breidenbach; Keita

Jrs: Dawson; Lawrence; McPherson; Kojenets

Sos: Lloyd Jr.; Rice

Having looked at video on Rice and Lloyd today, I have to be honest and say I hope we see them both on the roster 2 years from now. A couple of 6'6-6'7 dudes who can shoot and score. Neither of them appear to be strictly spot-up shooters like CJ. I like the fact that CJ can get hot. I like the fact that CJ can get his shot off quickly without a lot of space. I don't think we've seen the best version of CJ yet, not by a long shot. But I don't think he's ever going to be that guy who can put it on the floor and drive to the rim.

From what little I've seen, I feel like Lloyd and Rice have the ability to contribute at this level. I could even see them on the floor at the same time. Wilhelm can certainly fill the role of being the big. I don't see the PG in that group, though. If Ramel is supposed to be that guy, it'd be nice to see him in the rotation this year getting backup PG minutes. Am I wrong for being skeptical?

Edited by Norm Peterson

@Norm Peterson I typically have no idea what I'm going to have for lunch on any given day, how the hell do you expect me to forecast something like this? 😁

I guess my answer would have to start with who's the coach?  If it's Hoiberg then I'd expect that approximately 100% of the names on the roster starting in 2024 will be 13 guys none of us have ever heard of before and it almost certainly will not be anyone that's on the team now or signed.

If it's another coach; well, honestly, it's probably the same answer.

32 minutes ago, 49r said:

@Norm Peterson I typically have no idea what I'm going to have for lunch on any given day, how the hell do you expect me to forecast something like this? 😁

I guess my answer would have to start with who's the coach?  If it's Hoiberg then I'd expect that approximately 100% of the names on the roster starting in 2024 will be 13 guys none of us have ever heard of before and it almost certainly will not be anyone that's on the team now or signed.

If it's another coach; well, honestly, it's probably the same answer.

No one except Walker, right?

But, seriously, IF Ramel can become the point guard he's been touted as potentially becoming, he'd be a third-year player. He'd be 6'6. We'd have CJ as a SG at 6'5. Then you'd have Rice as a SG/wing at 6'7. Probably Wilhelm somewhere at 6'10. And then ... someone.

That's a group that could potentially be a tough out. I'd like to be able to see what could develop. I'm getting tired of the turnover. It would be nice to see some stability, and those guys have some tools that would make them some clay you could work with.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

But, seriously, IF Ramel can become the point guard he's been touted as potentially becoming, he'd be a third-year player. He'd be 6'6. We'd have CJ as a SG at 6'5. Then you'd have Rice as a SG/wing at 6'7. Probably Wilhelm somewhere at 6'10. And then ... someone.

That's a group that could potentially be a tough out. I'd like to be able to see what could develop. I'm getting tired of the turnover. It would be nice to see some stability, and those guys have some tools that would make them some clay you could work with.

I like the very very small sample of what I’ve seen from Lawrence as well. Agree it is a good core if he gets another year and they see the vision and stick around

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

How sure are you Walker is still not on the team? 

Derrick Walker is the only player remaining at Nebraska who was on the roster 2 years ago. Going one step further, it's D.W., head coach Fred Hoiberg, and video coordinator Mall Holt as the only 3 who were a part of the 'crowd-free' 2020-21 Husker team.

Edited by AuroranHusker

16 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:
1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Who's coaching the team in this hypothetical scenario?

Whoever's in your avatar.

If we can keep the band together, that senior class could look real interesting. Especially if we can pick up some transfers with 1-2 years remaining over the next two years.

• 3 months later...

Love Ramel's video.  We need to keep him.

Looking two years down the road, this is what is see with the present roster:

Post Players:

Blaise Keita (sr.)

Oleg Kojenets (jr. - redshirt)

Wilhelm Breidenback (jr. - medical redshirt) -- can play power forward if we want a bigger line-up.

In two years, these 3 players should have the required bulk to guard the rim and rebound in the BIG 10.  None of them will be major offensive threats.

Perimeter Players:

CJ Wilcher (sr.)

Jamarques Lawrence (jr.)

Ramel Lloyd (soph - redshirt)

Quaran McPherson (soph - redshirt)

Eli Rice (soph)

In two years, these players will score the majority of our points.

Denim Dawson transfers out.  And for the 2024-25 season, we need to recruit a point guard and several bigs that can score both inside and out (wishing for John Bol (freshman) and Isaac Trout (sophomore transfer).  We still would have two open scholarships to fill needs.  The team is moving in the right direction.  GBR!!!

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

This is like a video of Fred Hoiberg's hell: someone making mid range jumpers

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the tweet clip. :nod: Maybe it will be like Fred's comment during an interview earlier this year that he didn't like 'floaters;' unless it was Keisei taking them.  🙏