Forecasting 2023-24 lineup

Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Interesting.  This will be his second transfer, so would he have to sit out a year?

It’s basically free agency these days.  The NCAA gives grants out like it’s Halloween candy.  Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the case here too.

Also, did he graduate with a degree?  Could he be considered a grad transfer?

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

The word on the street is that Wilcher is going to hit the transfer portal. We'll see what happens because guys change their minds.

That same word is that we didn't run him off; he's welcome to stay.   But he's not going to command a good NIL deal or any other accommodations.  

Gotta say I am surprised that CJ is considering leaving.  IIRC, he and Wilhelm were the two most vocal last off-season about wanting to stick around.  And while his playing time and usage rate did dip, he found himself back in the starting lineup at the end of the season.  Honestly we seem to be a pretty good fit for his skillset, and I am struggling to think of another P5 system that would be better for him.  I just don't know what greener pastures he could be looking for.  Maybe a smaller school where he can be the offensive focal point? 

45 minutes ago, HB said:

That same word is that we didn't run him off; he's welcome to stay.  

Absolutely, not sure why'd we want him to leave. He knows our system and can shoot.  How much he plays really depends on how well he shoots and he sure didn't shoot well this year. Getting pulled from outside forces, no doubt. Just like with everything else we'll see.

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Absolutely, not sure why'd we want him to leave. He knows our system and can shoot.  How much he plays really depends on how well he shoots and he sure didn't shoot well this year. Getting pulled from outside forces, no doubt. Just like with everything else we'll see.

Im guessing he sees the writing on the wall with PT. He knows we are in the market for a lead guard plus probably another wing. Then you have JL, Raamel, and possibly/hopefully KT coming back who all offer more rounded games. He was losing crunch time minutes to Sam H at the end of season to.

2 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

Im guessing he sees the writing on the wall with PT. He knows we are in the market for a lead guard plus probably another wing. Then you have JL, Raamel, and possibly/hopefully KT coming back who all offer more rounded games. He was losing crunch time minutes to Sam H at the end of season to.

CJ was basically starting at the 4 the last part of the season. And that is really the only spot he can/could play. We certainly don't want him handling the ball much. He was fine as a spot up shooter or a hard-working defender. If Gary is back, he will have bulk of minutes at the 4. And our 2 and 3 guards will have to be better options that CJ.

Good effort guy and good team plyaer.  Otherwise, he will not be missed.

I've looked and cannot find anything that says CJ is definitely gone.  Yet we are talking as if he is.  I know word is on the street that he may have made that decision; but has either Fred or CJ publicly confirmed it?

Has the post-season meetings taken place between Fred and the individual players?  Typically they took place after the dance.  Just wondering if those meetings moved forward.

People I have visited with indicated Keisei has not yet made any type of decision.   Perhaps the street has heard something different? 

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I've looked and cannot find anything that says CJ is definitely gone.  Yet we are talking as if he is.  I know word is on the street that he may have made that decision; but has either Fred or CJ publicly confirmed it?

Has the post-season meetings taken place between Fred and the individual players?  Typically they took place after the dance.  Just wondering if those meetings moved forward.

People I have visited with indicated Keisei has not yet made any type of decision.   Perhaps the street has heard something different? 

As someone who has posted about both KT and CJ it's hard to figure out how to word these properly to the point where people thought I was being too vague with KT though I'm just trying to convey my lack of confidence in information that isn't first hand on unmade decisions. For instance, it was well known that Trayce Jackson-Davis was going pro at the end of last season.  Mike Woodson was at the combine when TJD, after having covid for a few days and unable to travel, called him and decided this was a sign he should stay at Indiana.  The point is, you don't know for sure that someone is gone until they're gone.

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I believe the speculation was premised on the idea that we might not have NIL money to go around. If he’s not getting paid, the logic goes he will probably leave.

Makes sense we would keep our powder dry and use funds for players we want to get through the portal rather than spending on an underperforming player we already have.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:27 PM, HB said:

That same word is that we didn't run him off; he's welcome to stay.   But he's not going to command a good NIL deal or any other accommodations.  

Can you expand on what you’re saying here? And I’m not asking for CJ specifics or for you to spill the beans, just asking in more general what you mean. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Can you expand on what you’re saying here? And I’m not asking for CJ specifics or for you to spill the beans, just asking in more general what you mean. 

Gary Michaels isn't asking for him to be on a billboard whereas maybe a suit store on the east coast might.

4 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Dimes' response above is more creative than mine , and more succinct, but here goes.... 

Traditionally, at year end, (1) you have guys leave that you basically run off, or at least are very frank with them as to expected playing time assuming they'll get it and free up a scholarship; (2) guys that you are direct  with about roles and needed improvement but aren't encouraging them to leave; (3) some who go pro; and (4) some you actively re-recruit and do everything possible to keep them.  

I believe CJ is more in the second category than the first or fourth.  The modern day player has a lot of voices in their ear, whether it's a street agents, buddies, family members about why playing time is what it is, why they're not getting X many shots and sets run for them, etc. (hint:  most of them aren't hearing that they're the reason for any  problems, and struggle to self-reflect on it).   I wouldn't be shocked if there are voices in a couple of our players'  ears that they are listening to, and that would help cause them to consider transfer options.

The 4th category now involves aggressive conversations on the NIL side of things.   I believe 1890 is allocating  greater resources for obtaining portal transfers than we are for retaining our more average returnees.  If that causes them to move on, so be it. 

Edited by HB

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I’m more asking what is meant by how “command” is used and what accommodations means.

“Command” NIL means he’s good enough to keep his scholarship and stay if he wants, but he’s not gonna be on the high end of allocated NiL money.  If he can get more some where else, hey, go for it.  “Accommodations” more about playing time, offensive sets, position, etc.  Role player vs. The Man.  This is now pro basketball.  Henry Iba rolls over in his grave.