conference 8.8 PPG 5.7 RPG 0.4 APG 2.9 TOPG

Sophomore year overall 12.0 PPG 7.3 RPG 1.2 APG 2.0 TOPG

conference 10.3 PPG 6.9 RPG 0.8 APG 1.8 TOPG

Wilhelm (per 40 mins)

Freshmen year overall 9.4 PPG 6.9 RPG 1.5 APG 1.8 TOPG 

conference 1 1/2 games too small sample size

Sophomore year overall 11.5 PPG 8.3 RPG 1.4 APG 2.4 TOPG

conference 10.2 PPG 7.8 RPG 1.0 APG 2.0 TOPG

Yes, offensively similar.  But that doesn't tell the story.  Wilhelm can't guard anyone.  If he was the second coming of Kevin Durant on offense then I guess you put up with his defense.  But he's just kind of there on offense and is a gaping black hole on defense.

3 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Yes, offensively similar.  But that doesn't tell the story.  Wilhelm can't guard anyone.  If he was the second coming of Kevin Durant on offense then I guess you put up with his defense.  But he's just kind of there on offense and is a gaping black hole on defense.

I really think it's strength and footwork issues with Wilhelm that limits him defensively.  He got pushed around last night and is not quick laterally.  He can definitely improve his strength and work on his footwork but is it enough to make him serviceable defensively?  Who knows but it's up to him to put the necessary offseason work in to find out.

WB on this team makes sense because there will be enough attrition to the point where it will be tough to replace his combination of skill set and institutional knowledge with someone willing to come off the bench.  It's up to him to raise his game enough to be a starter and up to the school to land someone capable of starting regardless of how his game might change.

At the end of the day he's a culture guy with the ability to play the 4 or 5 off the bench and that's something we can use.

Didn't say we should run him out of town.  Agreed that he seems like a culture guy, which at a minimum is a major boon during practice.  But I also hope we find enough capable 4/5 players to where he can be our emergency option, basically like Oleg was this year.  I don't think you can count on him being a starter despite DW graduating and BK's constant health issues.

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I really think it's strength and footwork issues with Wilhelm that limits him defensively.  He got pushed around last night and is not quick laterally.  He can definitely improve his strength and work on his footwork but is it enough to make him serviceable defensively?  Who knows but it's up to him to put the necessary offseason work in to find out.

I don't see anything in his defensive arsenal that can be built around other than his motor.  He does give you 100%.  But he defends with his arms and hands rather than his feet, he doesn't know how to jump straight up, his first step is slow (and gets faked into going the wrong direction too often), and he has no recovery speed.  He also needs to add bulk, but doing so would likely be even more detrimental to the rest of his list of defensive shortcomings. 

Honestly, I think he just doesn't fit into a man defensive scheme because I don't see very many P5 D1 players that he can hang with.  If we primarily played zone, I would feel differently.  I do think he has a nose for loose balls and zone rebounding, and playing zone turns his active hands into more of a strength rather than a foul opportunity.  Throw him in Boeheim's system and you've got something.  But you don't revamp your defensive philosophy based around one borderline rotation player, so that is a moot point.

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Let’s give him one offseason of strength and agility training. He has had 2 knee surgeries the last 2 years and has not had that. If he builds up his core and leg strength I think we will see a much better player.

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

The best way to describe Wilhelm's defense is probably ADHD.

I mean, he's very active on defense. Hyperactive, even. But he's everywhere and nowhere and frenetic all the time but maybe just not where he needs to be when he needs to be there.

He's like the opposite of the old adage about working smart, not hard.

Rinse and repeat, Wilhelm HAS NOT has an offseason since between his junior and senior year in high school.  Let's see if all the naysayers are singing the same tune this time next season after he has a full offseason to build his body and skillset. 

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Yeah, but you could always tell that Keisa could shoot the ball. BnB as a stand still shooter is poor & even worse off the dribble. He’s Tall & he’s scrappy & that needs to be enough. 

Wilhelm is not a 5-tool guy.

He needs to get really good at a couple of things.

And he needs to get bigger and stronger.

Right now he's this really tall jitter bug that can't hold his position in the post and fouls on the perimeter a lot.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Wilhelm is not a 5-tool guy.

He needs to get really good at a couple of things.

And he needs to get bigger and stronger.

Right now he's this really tall jitter bug that can't hold his position in the post and fouls on the perimeter a lot.

I agree Norm, & those couple things are Rebounding & Developing 1-2 Pet Moves around the Basket. As you said he’s never going to be a polished all-around player, but there’s an upside there for improvement. 

22 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I agree Norm, & those couple things are Rebounding & Developing 1-2 Pet Moves around the Basket. As you said he’s never going to be a polished all-around player, but there’s an upside there for improvement. 

I’m going to go against the grain here and posit that I want WB to continue to develop his 3 point shot and by his junior year I hope/expect him to be a 35%+ 3 point shooter 

If we are gonna start over with a new roster we might as well start over with a new coach.  The blow it up every year thing hasn’t worked for us. 

Wilcher plays more within himself off the dribble and takes his open threes rather than dribbling into pull up 2s he’s fine. 

BW gets a full off-season of training and trades in those shit corner threes for threes from the elbows and top of the key he will be fine too. 

Keita, I’m not sure about the ankle injury. They can be pretty tricky, boy we coulda used him that last game vs Minnesota though.  The offense will never be ran through him but I think there’s a chance he could be a defensive anchor where we wouldn’t have to double every post touch and he gobbles up a fair amount of boards.  He averaged 8 points and 14 boards over 40 minutes this year. 

for us to ever have any sustained success (18 wins per year) we gotta bring back 6-8 guys each year, no matter what we currently think of them. Consistency matters

10 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

for us to ever have any sustained success (18 wins per year) we gotta bring back 6-8 guys each year, no matter what we currently think of them. Consistency matters

Not disagreeing with your sentiment exactly, but we easily have 18 wins this year if we schedule a little softer in the non-con. I don't think overall wins tells us much. I think we have to judge success on B1G record / standings / postseason.

Going 9-11 in the B1G with that injured roster is more than good enough for Fred to get another year. And, trust me, I never thought I'd be typing that. I was done with him at the end of last year. But since he's still here ...

This group of assistants seems to have something. Whether they can find enough guys in the portal to keep it going and take another step forward is a separate question, but I think they did more than enough this year to earn another go.

Good or bad, I think roster turnover is simply the norm in college basketball now. So many of the top B1G players were transfers this year, it's just how the game works now.

Of the 11 guys on the first and second teams, more than half are transfers. And that's in the B1G, which feels like the most stable conference. Do PSU, Maryland, Illinois, and NW make the NCAAs without their transfers? Certainly not all 4 of them do.