Forecasting 2023-24 lineup

Norm Peterson

This is almost exactly my thought, minus the inclusion of the actual transfer names.  Assuming Keisei is gone, I can envision JL, RL, and JG starting along with two new transfer starters - PG & PF/C.  If we land the impact transfers again and most of the role players do return (WB, BK, SH, CW, QP, etc), I think we have a very solid team that is very capable of finishing in the top half of the conference.

Is the thought Keisei is leaving?

I haven’t heard anything either way but seems like he is just hitting his stride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Is the thought Keisei is leaving?

I haven’t heard anything either way but seems like he is just hitting his stride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he is.

Walking on senior day. His parents coming to see him play. Rumored he was offered 500k last year. Hit an incredible hot streak this year. Feels like a strike while the iron is hot type situation.

vs

He has a dream to play in the NBA. I am not saying one way or another if he can make the NBA. But if that truly is his dream he'd be better served staying in college and building on this year. 

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

Are we confident that Lloyd can shoot well from distance?  

The highlights that were put out shows he shoots 100% from three so not sure why there would be any skepticism at all.  And, some of those were pretty tough shots so he likely shoots over 100%

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

The highlights that were put out shows he shoots 100% from three so not sure why there would be any skepticism at all.  And, some of those were pretty tough shots so he likely shoots over 100%

Depends on whether the shooting highlights are: Keisei just getting off a plane from the other side of the planet, and calmly making 20 straight threes..... or, the infamous Lat Mayen sinking 86 out of 100 in a lab. The two sides of a coin. Hoping Lloyd's proclivity from the land of plenty will be more like Tominaga's and less like Mayen's.

Guard and wing positions look strong assuming Tominaga does come back with Lloyd and Lawrence. We need to look to the transfer portal for size. Not sure we want to move forward with Breidenbach or Wilcher. Those 2 have too many holes in their games to overcome. Keita can play some defense, but is also a huge whole on offense. I see more a bench role for Keita on a successful team.

We don't win the Rutgers game or Iowa game without Wilcher.  We don't win the Maryland game without Wilhelm and Keita coming in and grabbing defensive rebounds.  Wilhelm and Wilcher have a spot.  They should not be starting but will be important role players for this team.  I don't see CJ shooting 31.0 percent from 3 next year.  

Gary, Lloyd, and Dawson need to be guys that need to get to the rim.

2 minutes ago, brfrad said:

We don't win the Rutgers game or Iowa game without Wilcher.  We don't win the Maryland game without Wilhelm and Keita coming in and grabbing defensive rebounds.  Wilhelm and Wilcher have a spot.  They should not be starting but will be important role players for this team.  I don't see CJ shooting 31.0 percent from 3 next year.  

Gary, Lloyd, and Dawson need to be guys that need to get to the rim.

In the day and age where anyone and everyone can transfer… hits beat to not run anyone off.  Guys will probably leave, but you’re probably right that we don’t need to force anyone.

Where would this year have gone had Keisei followed most of the advice he got at the end of last year?

21 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I know this is early, but here's who we absolutely need to come back next year.

Gary

Lloyd

Lawrence

Keisei

Keita

Players I would like to see back next year.  I would be sad to see them leave, but think we could survive in the portal without them.

Wilhelm

Wilcher

Oleg

McPherson

Denim

This is a great breakdown. And I agree.  And I think Keisei is the absolute #1 recruit Hoiberg needs if he is gonna have this team at least on the bubble. I stand firm on this. #2 is an adequate replacement for Walker. 

25 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I know this is early, but here's who we absolutely need to come back next year.

Gary

Lloyd

Lawrence

Keisei

Keita

Players I would like to see back next year.  I would be sad to see them leave, but think we could survive in the portal without them.

Wilhelm

Wilcher

Oleg

McPherson

Denim

Agree with this but Keita wouldn’t be as much of a huge keep for me.  Not going to make differences imo.  

Edited by royalfan

18 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I considered putting him down in the bottom list.  However, out of the 3 bigs, I think he is the biggest one to keep. 

Yup. Need size and out of the 3 he's the one I'd keep. Also, I'd probably put Wilcher on the list of coming back. Then take 4 dudes in the portal and run it back. I like that team. 

15 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I think he is.

Walking on senior day. His parents coming to see him play. Rumored he was offered 500k last year. Hit an incredible hot streak this year. Feels like a strike while the iron is hot type situation.

vs

He has a dream to play in the NBA. I am not saying one way or another if he can make the NBA. But if that truly is his dream he'd be better served staying in college and building on this year. 

could we not afford to pay him 500k? doesn't seem like much for a guy who basically just averaged 20 ppg in the big 10 and has a massive international following. i feel like fred would pay himself to increase his chances of a contract extension.

didn't we pay the DE from TCU 500k to get 3 sacks last year...

Edited by FredsSlacks

1 minute ago, FredsSlacks said:

could we not afford to pay him 500k? doesn't seem like much for a guy who basically just averaged 20 ppg in the big 10 and has a missive international following. i feel like fred would pay himself to increase his chances of a contract extension.

Of course we could.  If he was able to get NIL money, he would be one of the highest paid players in the Big 10.  Hopefully, they can change the rule before Japenese league teams ask for his services.  Knowing Nebrasketball, international players will be able to get NIL money the day after Keisei signs a contract with the Japanese league. 

14 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Of course we could.  If he was able to get NIL money, he would be one of the highest paid players in the Big 10.  Hopefully, they can change the rule before Japenese league teams ask for his services.  Knowing Nebrasketball, international players will be able to get NIL money the day after Keisei signs a contract with the Japanese league. 

oh wow. i had no idea international players weren't getting NIL money. that's insane.

but if his goal is to play in the nba, i would think his best option is to play another college season. 

Edited by FredsSlacks

1 hour ago, FredsSlacks said:

could we not afford to pay him 500k? doesn't seem like much for a guy who basically just averaged 20 ppg in the big 10 and has a massive international following. i feel like fred would pay himself to increase his chances of a contract extension.

I sure hope the rules change and we can pay him. I think keeping him is the best/easiest path to a successful season next year. 

8 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Dawson leave. Hasn’t had the best body language in the bench Since his playing time has been cut..  I think you need a PG and a big and possibly another good shooter.

You certainly could be right that he may choose to go closer to home to find more playing time, but I wouldn't read too much into his body language. He has more of a reserved personality than most of those other guys. Speaking from first hand experience, it's easy for others to misread your body language in cases like that. ( Shout out to my co-workers. 😁 )