Forecasting 2023-24 lineup

Norm Peterson

40 minutes ago, HB said:

“Command” NIL means he’s good enough to keep his scholarship and stay if he wants, but he’s not gonna be on the high end of allocated NiL money.  If he can get more some where else, hey, go for it.  “Accommodations” more about playing time, offensive sets, position, etc.  Role player vs. The Man.  This is now pro basketball.  Henry Iba rolls over in his grave. 

*Bonus* points for the Hank Iba “Name Drop” 

Let's see who we have at this moment:

Guards -

Tominaga 

Lawrence

Hoiberg (walk-on)

Grace (walk-on)

Jacobson (walk-on)

McPherson 

Lloyd

Wings -

CJ

Rice

PF -

Briedenbach 

Gary

Burt (walk-on)

Post -

Blaise

Am I missing anyone? Sounds like we will have additional attrition.

Without being overly dramatic...Help!  Hey, we have some building blocks, but we need a successful off-season.

Edited by Huskerpapa

2 hours ago, HB said:

Dimes' response above is more creative than mine , and more succinct, but here goes.... 

Traditionally, at year end, (1) you have guys leave that you basically run off, or at least are very frank with them as to expected playing time assuming they'll get it and free up a scholarship; (2) guys that you are direct  with about roles and needed improvement but aren't encouraging them to leave; (3) some who go pro; and (4) some you actively re-recruit and do everything possible to keep them.  

I believe CJ is more in the second category than the first or fourth.  The modern day player has a lot of voices in their ear, whether it's a street agents, buddies, family members about why playing time is what it is, why they're not getting X many shots and sets run for them, etc. (hint:  most of them aren't hearing that they're the reason for any  problems, and struggle to self-reflect on it).   I wouldn't be shocked if there are voices in a couple of our players'  ears that they are listening to, and that would help cause them to consider transfer options.

The 4th category now involves aggressive conversations on the NIL side of things.   I believe 1890 is allocating  greater resources for obtaining portal transfers than we are for retaining our more average returnees.  If that causes them to move on, so be it. 

This begs the question, who is determining what amount of "resources" are allocated to which players/recruits?  Is it Matt Davidson?  The 1890 Board of Directors?  Fred Hoiberg?  Trev? 

Also, now that 1890 has diversified into many different sports, how does it decide how much to allocate to each program?  If the old "men's basketball collective" merged into the 1890, does that mean there are still separate funds available (or still being raised) just for Nebraska basketball?  Or is Nebraska basketball just one more sport in the "overall pot" of funds available?

If the answer is that Davidson/1890 has complete discretion as to the offer/allocation of funds, is this a good thing?  Davidson is obviously a football guy.  There are obviously a limited amount of resources available, so if he has to choose between a basketball player/recruit and a football player/recruit, can he neutrally make that decision? 

17 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

This begs the question, who is determining what amount of "resources" are allocated to which players/recruits?  Is it Matt Davidson?  The 1890 Board of Directors?  Fred Hoiberg?  Trev? 

Also, now that 1890 has diversified into many different sports, how does it decide how much to allocate to each program?  If the old "men's basketball collective" merged into the 1890, does that mean there are still separate funds available (or still being raised) just for Nebraska basketball?  Or is Nebraska basketball just one more sport in the "overall pot" of funds available?

If the answer is that Davidson/1890 has complete discretion as to the offer/allocation of funds, is this a good thing?  Davidson is obviously a football guy.  There are obviously a limited amount of resources available, so if he has to choose between a basketball player/recruit and a football player/recruit, can he neutrally make that decision? 

Not at all how it works.  Matt Davison (not "Davidson") is an employee  of 1890.  It is not "Davison/1890".  The Peeds own it and fund a bunch of it.   People with Matt paranoia or disdain overstate his role.  There are numerous people involved, at  multiple levels (both paid employees such as Joe Selig, and volunteers who help with the asks). 

While they want  to broaden the donor base, like anything else, a few big hitters are giving lots of money.  Some are more inclined to support basketball than others.  1890 and those involved know who those folks are (you can see some of them in the Nicolson seats at PBA).   When those asks are being made, specific players are discussed, and what it might take to get them.  These conversations are not directly involving Fred or Trev, and can't.    Yes, there are funds being raised for just basketball.   No, Davison can't just unilaterally decide to choose between a football and basketball recruit.   Say, for example, a  couple of bigs currently on the east coast have expressed interest in transferring.  And they are established, really good bigs (stay tuned).   People (way beyond Matt) know what it might cost, and the feasibility of raising it.  Let's say a certain bigshot gave $50k for the basketball collective last year.  Someone is talking to that bigshot now saying "we need $100k now.  We can get player X but need the money."  

1 hour ago, HB said:

Not at all how it works.  Matt Davison (not "Davidson") is an employee  of 1890.  It is not "Davison/1890".  The Peeds own it and fund a bunch of it.   People with Matt paranoia or disdain overstate his role.  There are numerous people involved, at  multiple levels (both paid employees such as Joe Selig, and volunteers who help with the asks). 

While they want  to broaden the donor base, like anything else, a few big hitters are giving lots of money.  Some are more inclined to support basketball than others.  1890 and those involved know who those folks are (you can see some of them in the Nicolson seats at PBA).   When those asks are being made, specific players are discussed, and what it might take to get them.  These conversations are not directly involving Fred or Trev, and can't.    Yes, there are funds being raised for just basketball.   No, Davison can't just unilaterally decide to choose between a football and basketball recruit.   Say, for example, a  couple of bigs currently on the east coast have expressed interest in transferring.  And they are established, really good bigs (stay tuned).   People (way beyond Matt) know what it might cost, and the feasibility of raising it.  Let's say a certain bigshot gave $50k for the basketball collective last year.  Someone is talking to that bigshot now saying "we need $100k now.  We can get player X but need the money."  

Another question since you seem to be very well informed on how all this works. Somewhere on some thread someone mentioned the possibility that the rules regarding student visas changing so foreign players can accept NIL money. Do you know anything about this? 

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Another question since you seem to be very well informed on how all this works. Somewhere on some thread someone mentioned the possibility that the rules regarding student visas changing so foreign players can accept NIL money. Do you know anything about this? 

Not specifically, although the last word i got was positive about Kesei coming back.   That's not "take it to the bank" or "done deal" type of stuff.  But I heard a relatively  decent  number on what it would take.  We would have no trouble coming up with it if we can work out the legalities.   I  don't know that they're counting on getting the rules changed in time.  Perhaps more of an interpretation of "international students can't receive money while here" kind of thing, and perhaps the endorsement side.   I think there is confidence they can make it work even without a rule change, but I don't know the details.  

Edited by HB

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Top of the rotation is pretty obvious to me imo 

Ulis

Keisei

Brice

Gary

Mast

After that is when it gets interesting to me. 

Lloyd (backup ball handler)

Lawrence (can be a primary or secondary ball handler)

Allick and/or keita (depend on opponent)

CJ (backup wing minutes eater) 

If Adrame comes, he could compete with keita. It looks unlikely for mulcahy, but another ball handler wouldn't be bad. This isn't accounting for Sam hoiberg or cale Jacobsen either. Very versatile lineup though as a few guys can guard up or down a position without losing anything offensively 

3 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

Top of the rotation is pretty obvious to me imo 

Ulis

Keisei

Brice

Gary

Mast

After that is when it gets interesting to me. 

Lloyd (backup ball handler)

Lawrence (can be a primary or secondary ball handler)

Allick and/or keita (depend on opponent)

CJ (backup wing minutes eater) 

If Adrame comes, he could compete with keita. It looks unlikely for mulcahy, but another ball handler wouldn't be bad. This isn't accounting for Sam hoiberg or cale Jacobsen either. Very versatile lineup though as a few guys can guard up or down a position without losing anything offensively 

If Ulis is the starting PG this team is in trouble. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 11:39 AM, Huskerpapa said:

Let's see who we have at this moment:

Guards -

Tominaga 

Lawrence

Hoiberg (walk-on)

Grace (walk-on)

Jacobson (walk-on)

McPherson 

Lloyd

Wings -

CJ

Rice

PF -

Briedenbach 

Gary

Burt (walk-on)

Post -

Blaise

Am I missing anyone? Sounds like we will have additional attrition.

Without being overly dramatic...Help!  Hey, we have some building blocks, but we need a successful off-season.

Hmm.  Subtracted Wilhelm and McPherson; added depth in power positions, wing and PG.

Not bad.

I am convinced that our break out player will be Lloyd.

If I have a concern, it may be the adjustment of our five new players to the team chemistry.  

Then again, we were a .500 club last year.  Perhaps it is our returning players that need to adjust.

16 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Hmm.  Subtracted Wilhelm and McPherson; added depth in power positions, wing and PG.

Not bad.

I am convinced that our break out player will be Lloyd.

If I have a concern, it may be the adjustment of our five new players to the team chemistry.  

Then again, we were a .500 club last year.  Perhaps it is our returning players that need to adjust.

FWIW, Washut says Lloyd is towards the end of the bench rotation as of now.