Jump to content

Forecasting 2023-24 lineup


Norm Peterson

Recommended Posts

I think Keita is a big time "keep" - those juco guys tend to make a big jump year 1 to year 2, so he's a candidate -- if healthy -- to improve quite a bit. That Spain trip could help him a ton with the extra practices, too, assuming he is healthy. I doubt he's practiced all that much since the injury.

 

Speaking of Spain - hopefully that'll be an enticement / bonus to draw in transfers. Need to get any of those transfers in the fold early so they can go along. I may be misremembering, but it feels like we had to leave one or two guys home when we went to Italy because of paperwork snafus or something like that. 

 

Edited by throwback
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • hhcmatt changed the title to Forecasting 2023-24 lineup
39 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Andy Katz mentioned on the broadcast last night that there might be some changes to NIL for overseas players.  Something to keep an eye on he said. 
 

Whether he’s in the know or is repeating a rumor, I have no idea.

 

I hope that's true. It's a dumb rule. However, we are not going to match what Japan is about to offer.

Edited by OmahaHusker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday wanted me to help Breidenbach and Wilcher pack their bags for them BUT in a the college world, consistency and guys who know the system is key.

I so badly want WB to figure it out. He just looks like Bambi on ice. Wilcher decision making is so frustrating.

Yesterday was so frustrating. But that can’t take away that this team played their butt off all year. I want to see a lot of these guys back. But we need depth and we need to replace Greisel and Walker.

Many seem to think Ramel Lloyd can replace Griesel.

I don’t think we can expect Breidenbach/Kojenets/Keita to replace Walker. They can all help but none of them seem to have the passing ability. Hopefully the Wofford transfer takes a look at us.

Still think we need to add another shooter.. not a spot shooter unless we feel we can improve our ability to drive.

I really hope they change the NIL rules so we can dangle some $$$$ in front of Keisei.

As of now, we have two scholarships. I bet at least 2 more open up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a bit surprised at some of the Kieta conversations.  In his limited action this year, I thought he was pretty serviceable.  Had some decent moves on the offensive end and was a big help on the glass.  His injury really hampered his ability to continue to develop this year.  However, get a grad transfer big to complement him and I think we have a great 1-2 punch with Oleg continuing to provide spot minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Yesterday wanted me to help Breidenbach and Wilcher pack their bags for them BUT in a the college world, consistency and guys who know the system is key.

I so badly want WB to figure it out. He just looks like Bambi on ice. Wilcher decision making is so frustrating.

Yesterday was so frustrating. But that can’t take away that this team played their butt off all year. I want to see a lot of these guys back. But we need depth and we need to replace Greisel and Walker.

Many seem to think Ramel Lloyd can replace Griesel.

I don’t think we can expect Breidenbach/Kojenets/Keita to replace Walker. They can all help but none of them seem to have the passing ability. Hopefully the Wofford transfer takes a look at us.

Still think we need to add another shooter.. not a spot shooter unless we feel we can improve our ability to drive.

I really hope they change the NIL rules so we can dangle some $$$$ in front of Keisei.

As of now, we have two scholarships. I bet at least 2 more open up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

There really is a balancing act between trying to develop a roster with some veteran leadership versus having to induce a bit of turnover in order to get some key upgrades.

 

You want players with experience in your system, but what if the vets just aren't very good.

 

I expected 4-star Wilhelm to be a bit better at this point in his career. The problem with Breidenbahc/Kojenets/Keita isn't simply that they don't pass as well as Walker. They also don't defend the post nearly as well. Keita might be able to defend, but if he's not on the floor because of his ankie boo boo, he's not doing you any good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Busch Light said:

It’s another complete roster rebuild. 

Given Hoibergs history and college basketball in general right now this is probably the most likely scenario. But I'm over here like Dr. Strange right now and I see a pretty reasonable path to a pretty solid roster next year without a "bunch"  of turnover. On the flip side we could be in a "thread the needle" situation here real soon too. 

Edited by cornfed24-7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

There really is a balancing act between trying to develop a roster with some veteran leadership versus having to induce a bit of turnover in order to get some key upgrades.

 

You want players with experience in your system, but what if the vets just aren't very good.

 

I expected 4-star Wilhelm to be a bit better at this point in his career. The problem with Breidenbahc/Kojenets/Keita isn't simply that they don't pass as well as Walker. They also don't defend the post nearly as well. Keita might be able to defend, but if he's not on the floor because of his ankie boo boo, he's not doing you any good.

 

They are also younger...  Two sophomores and a redshirt freshman.  Walker is a 6th year player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

I thought about that. But do you remember Derrick as a sophomore? He was stout defending inside. He was a dawg. These current guys aren't dawgs.

 

Wasn't he at Tennessee?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

I thought about that. But do you remember Derrick as a sophomore? He was stout defending inside. He was a dawg. These current guys aren't dawgs.

 

If healthy, Keita today is a better inside defender and rebounder than Walker.  Walker is a poor rebounder for a big man, and is an average at best inside defender.  There is a reason that NU always doubled the post, it is because Walker could not ever handle his man one-on-one.  Some of that is not his fault, he is a 6'7" playing center.  On the defensive/rebounding end I would say Keita is every bit the dawg that Walker is and probably more.

 

The areas where Walker far exceeds Keita is (1) passing ability, (2) dribbling, (3) touch around the rim, (4) decent hands and (5) defending the perimeter.  Replacing that combination is going to be difficult, and maybe not possible.  But its not like NU's offense MUST continue to operate through the high post.  Just because Fred adapted to Walker's strengths this year doesn't mean it always has to be that way. 

 

Keita is not much of an offensive threat at all, at least not right now.  He could develop that a bit over the next 2 years tho.  I definitely think Keita is a keeper, but I would feel much better if he is a keeper coming off the bench because we get another big man in the portal who is better than him.

Edited by NUdiehard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Breidenbach has definitely struggled and can be very hard to watch.  BUT, we have seen a few young big men come through this program who look worthless their first few years but then develop into something valuable to the team.  Brandon Ubel is a prime example.  I would say Wilhelm compares a lot to Ubel.  When Ubel was a freshman and sophomore, most of us really struggled to see why he was even on the team, let alone getting playing time.  But by his senior year, he was a solid contributor and most of us were wishing he would have redshirted his freshman year so that he would be able to return for another year.  I am counting on WB getting a medical RS for last year, which means he probably is just a freshman this year.  Even though it is rough watching him play, it is too early to give up on him.  He may be a much different play 2-3 years from now. 

 

I have no idea what to do with Oleg.  He is really tall and has some skill, but he is sooooo skinny and weak.  He gets pushed around so easy, even by much smaller players.  He also really struggles to defend the perimeter.  But, unless they can get someone better in the portal, Fred may hang on to him just to see if he can develop and get stronger. 

 

Edited by NUdiehard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Breidenbach has definitely struggled and can be very hard to watch.  BUT, we have seen a few young big men come through this program who look worthless their first few years but then develop into something valuable to the team.  Brandon Ubel is a prime example.  I would say Wilhelm compares a lot to Ubel.  When Ubel was a freshman and sophomore, most of us really struggled to see why he was even on the team, let alone getting playing time.  But by his senior year, he was a solid contributor and most of us were wishing he would have redshirted his freshman year so that he would be able to return for another year.  I am counting on WB getting a medical RS for last year, which means he probably is just a freshman this year.  Even though it is rough watching him play, it is too early to give up on him.  He may be a much different play 2-3 years from now. 

 

You had me on the Keita post. You lost me on this Breidenbach post. 😂 Not because I think he is unsavable. He could develope. What frustrates me is his decision making/not playing within himself during games. Right now he needs to limit himself in what he tries to do. Try to do something really well and go from there. Right now he tries to do a whole bunch of stuff and he does nearly all of it below average. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Breidenbach has definitely struggled and can be very hard to watch.  BUT, we have seen a few young big men come through this program who look worthless their first few years but then develop into something valuable to the team.  Brandon Ubel is a prime example.  I would say Wilhelm compares a lot to Ubel.  When Ubel was a freshman and sophomore, most of us really struggled to see why he was even on the team, let alone getting playing time.  But by his senior year, he was a solid contributor and most of us were wishing he would have redshirted his freshman year so that he would be able to return for another year.  I am counting on WB getting a medical RS for last year, which means he probably is just a freshman this year.  Even though it is rough watching him play, it is too early to give up on him.  He may be a much different play 2-3 years from now. 

 

I have no idea what to do with Oleg.  He is really tall and has some skill, but he is sooooo skinny and weak.  He gets pushed around so easy, even by much smaller players.  He also really struggles to defend the perimeter.  But, unless they can get someone better in the portal, Fred may hang on to him just to see if he can develop and get stronger. 

 

 

I will fully admit that this may be revisionist history tainted by recency bias, but I don't think I have seen any player struggle like Wilhelm did last night.  Wilhelm was the defender on nearly every single play during Minny's first half run.  It was unbelievable.  They were running their offense like a a quarterback who knows that one of the other team's corners can't cover anyone.  Just kept attacking him over and over, to the tune of something like 12 for 14 shooting during that stretch. And he was either the primary defender, or got beat forcing a teammate to rotate over (thereby leaving their own assignment resulting in an uncontested shot) on every one of those baskets that I can remember.  Maybe I need to watch that stretch again, but in the moment it seemed like he singlehandedly spurred their run for them.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

 

I will fully admit that this may be revisionist history tainted by recency bias, but I don't think I have seen any player struggle like Wilhelm did last night.  Wilhelm was the defender on nearly every single play during Minny's first half run.  It was unbelievable.  They were running their offense like a a quarterback who knows that one of the other team's corners can't cover anyone.  Just kept attacking him over and over, to the tune of something like 12 for 14 shooting during that stretch. And he was either the primary defender, or got beat forcing a teammate to rotate over (thereby leaving their own assignment resulting in an uncontested shot) on every one of those baskets that I can remember.  Maybe I need to watch that stretch again, but in the moment it seemed like he singlehandedly spurred their run for them.    

Couldn't agree more.  In the moment I thought he was absolutely killing us and was going to be the reason the game went down to the wire.

 

Having said that, as some have mentioned, WB hasn't had a healthy offseason in years.  Perhaps an offseason of hard work and weight training allows him to take a big step forward next year.  I love his motor and effort and do think their is potential there but he needs to put the work in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Busch Light said:

I think the only piece that we can heavily rely on for next year is Lawrence. It’s another complete roster rebuild. 

 

Not that it's actually worked out this way, but wasn't the Hoiberg model coming into Nebraska going to be a rebuild every year anyway? The OG guru of the transfer portal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...