Omaha (0-1) vs. Nebraska (1-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

I would agree. Although they ultimately were beaten handily by the defending national champs in their home opener at Allen Fieldhouse, UNO was only down 50-43 with three minutes gone in the second half before the Jayhawks went on a couple of long runs in the second half. UNO had 4 players in double figures and Fidler didn't have a particularly good game. I'm sure they have circled this game since it was scheduled, so we had better be ready to battle from the tipoff or another egg may be laid.

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I would agree. Although they ultimately were beaten handily by the defending national champs in their home opener at Allen Fieldhouse, UNO was only down 50-43 with three minutes gone in the second half before the Jayhawks went on a couple of long runs in the second half. UNO had 4 players in double figures and Fidler didn't have a particularly good game. I'm sure they have circled this game since it was scheduled, so we had better be ready to battle from the tipoff or another egg may be laid.

Yeah but Kansas is battling through a severely harsh penalty, one so tough the program may never fully recover, so it's hard to gauge anything from UNO's game against them.

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

Yeah but Kansas is battling through a severely harsh penalty, one so tough the program may never fully recover, so it's hard to gauge anything from UNO's game against them.

If they really wanted to punish Kansas they’d make them wear Nebraska jerseys for five years. After getting screwed over by the officiating for that long their entire fan base would give up.

34 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

KenPom has Nebraska as a 17pt favorite an Bartovik has Nebraska by 20

If you look at HHCC, most of our fans on this board are expecting a MUCH closer game. I mean some on here were predicting a 2–3-point win. Most were within 10 points. Only a few had us winning by 15 or more.

It's very interesting what the last few years have done to our self-image.

17 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If you look at HHCC, most of our fans on this board are expecting a MUCH closer game. I mean some on here were predicting a 2–3-point win. Most were within 10 points. Only a few had us winning by 15 or more.

It's very interesting what the last few years have done to our self-image.

Omaha certainly could end up winning more than people expect from a national and/or analytics perspective but you're talking about a team with a first year coach and a roster full of guys who hadn't played a D-1 game until Monday night.  It's not that Nebraska is being overvalued here so much as Omaha is viewed as the 10th best team in a 10 team Summit League and isn't considered noticeably better than a team like Maine.

So yeah Nebraska could squeak out this game or even lose.  They could also win this by 30.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Omaha certainly could end up winning more than people expect from a national and/or analytics perspective but you're talking about a team with a first year coach and a roster full of guys who hadn't played a D-1 game until Monday night.  It's not that Nebraska is being overvalued here so much as Omaha is viewed as the 10th best team in a 10 team Summit League and isn't considered noticeably better than a team like Maine.

So yeah Nebraska could squeak out this game or even lose.  They could also win this by 30.

I think a lot of this pessimism comes from a lot of people that saw Omaha kept it close with KU into the second half.  Thing is, I've seen Washburn keep it close against them in early season games too...and that was even against KU teams that weren't suffering through the harshest penalties ever levied against a college hoops program like KU is right now.