Ramel Lloyd

TourneyBound

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Good question as hard to say.  Could be there are pulling his redshirt to fill in for Gary's injury or he is just saying he is working hard and waiting for his time to come.  

Please tell me no. We don't have enough of a season to salvage to justify yanking his redshirt. I think he is a talented kid and I would love to see him on the same roster with the Rice kid next year. Both as freshmen.

19 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Please tell me no. We don't have enough of a season to salvage to justify yanking his redshirt. I think he is a talented kid and I would love to see him on the same roster with the Rice kid next year. Both as freshmen.

I agree with you but a coach trying to save his job isn't looking at next year.  He's just trying to win enough games this year to be here next year.  Honestly, I have no clue what he is saying but have seen kids get pulled from redshirt years late in season.  Hope that isn't the case here.

59 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

There seems to be some misconception here that Hoiberg is going to pull Lloyd's redshirt.

If RL is going to play, it's because he decides to. 

Looks like just some run of the mill 'i'm out there working' tweet

Hopefully he's out there working on that shooting form. Yikes. Hey, if it goes in, I'll take it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hoiberg on Ramel Lloyd Jr. today:

“We thought about it. We talked to him, and just the decision moving forward with that is you’ve got to do what's best for the kid. Do you pull the redshirt to get him to play 10 or 11 games, a third of the season? I just don't think that's the right thing to do. His mindset would be a complete shift of running other team’s things, which has been great for Ramel. He's learning the league every game, every day, seeing what other teams are running, being the featured player in those systems. You’ve got to shift to get into our stuff, which he obviously hasn't gotten a lot of reps with that with the decision being made to redshirt this season. So yeah, I thought thought about it, had a really good talk with him, and for right now we're going to keep him in his redshirt.”

44 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

“We thought about it. We talked to him, and just the decision moving forward with that is you’ve got to do what's best for the kid. Do you pull the redshirt to get him to play 10 or 11 games, a third of the season? I just don't think that's the right thing to do. His mindset would be a complete shift of running other team’s things, which has been great for Ramel. He's learning the league every game, every day, seeing what other teams are running, being the featured player in those systems. You’ve got to shift to get into our stuff, which he obviously hasn't gotten a lot of reps with that with the decision being made to redshirt this season. So yeah, I thought thought about it, had a really good talk with him, and for right now we're going to keep him in his redshirt.”

Do you have an honest assessment of how he’s looked in practice? Usually we hear about redshirts if they’re giving the rotation players all they can handle. Haven’t heard anything about Ramel. 

59 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

He doesn't need to redshirt in order to transfer. If we thought he was leaving, we'd have an incentive to burn his redshirt just to have another warm body. Our incentive for him to keep the redshirt is if we think he's going to stay.

He's running the scout team and gets to portray each opponent's featured offensive player. I bet he's pretty good at that. And, as Fred says, he's learning each of our conference opponents, which can only help him.

15 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Do you have an honest assessment of how he’s looked in practice? Usually we hear about redshirts if they’re giving the rotation players all they can handle. Haven’t heard anything about Ramel. 

Zero intel here, but the kid has basically the same build as Sam.  I’d love to see if we could get away with him at PG.  Having Sam bully other teams PGs while allowing us to stay long/physical on defense/glass has been a huge advantage.  There have really only been a couple of games where Sam was exposed a bit.  St. John’s comes to mind.  But Sam has mostly been a fantastic mismatch.  I can’t imagine Lloyd’s handles would be much different, and the offense is mostly safe handoffs from the PG to initiate the offense.   

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If you're a guy who redshirted to maximize their college career why would you transfer from a Power 5 school where you seem like a lock to play major minutes?

maybe to transfer to a Power 5 school where you would be a lock to play major minutes and also have a legit shot at making the NCAA Tournament some time during your career?

5 minutes ago, 49r said:

maybe to transfer to a Power 5 school where you would be a lock to play major minutes and also have a legit shot at making the NCAA Tournament some time during your career?

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If you're a guy who redshirted to maximize their college career why would you transfer from a Power 5 school where you seem like a lock to play major minutes?

kids playing major minutes transfer all the time... just hard to speculate. Time will tell.

46 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Not automatically, but it's not often a 4-star recruit redshirts in basketball, so when it does, it raises some alarm bells.

I mean Justin Patton redshirted, so there's an example right there.

But you're right...it doesn't happen often.

3 hours ago, 89Husker said:

maybe because it was clear Griesel and Bandoumel were going to get 80-90% of the backcourt minutes? Next year, if he's that good, he will get 80% of the minutes.

Early in the fall, he was struggling picking up the offense. Then he got that going but was still lagging on picking up the defense. By the time the season rolled around, he'd made good strides in both, but perhaps he just thought he needed more time. Sometimes people (perfectionists, for example) want to wait until they feel like they are ready. Perhaps he's one of those perfectionists.

16 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I get it, I'm just saying it doesn't happen very often that a player of his caliber comes in and voluntarily sits.

The key word here I think is "voluntarily."

If it's his choice to sit, why would he be upset enough with sitting to transfer?

29 minutes ago, atskooc said:

The key word here I think is "voluntarily."

If it's his choice to sit, why would he be upset enough with sitting to transfer?

I think the argument is... he didn't decide to redshirt until after practices started. Sometime in October-November. Maybe that's also when he decided he was going to transfer. If you're going to transfer, why waste a year of eligibility? His transfer portal stock is probably still higher now, being a fairly highly thought of high school recruit, than it would be if he played minimal minutes on a ~.500 team.   Anyway, someone recently said Ramel is 100% N so let's hope that is true.