Ramel Lloyd

TourneyBound

Not sure if there is anything to him not dressing but it occurs to me after watching Verge struggle and then become better at PG that if we want Lloyd to become our PG of the future it might benefit us both if he learns that position without using a year.

Also it occurs to me that he could redshirt and then bounce if Fred is fired.

Years of expecting the worst have left me to conclude that Lloyd will transfer, possibly in December. Everybody came here expecting to play a lot, because the team is bad. When you don't play, then you're ready to move on. In what world would Lloyd have thought, "I'm going to go to this 10-22 team so I can develop"? 

Hope I'm wrong.

Could be looked at as a good thing. Not many kids decide to redshirt, develop their game and wait their turn. If that's his intention, I love it. His dad redshirted (after transferring schools) and was a much better player after that year of development. 

However.... I didn't like his body language on the bench in the Colorado game. And it'd be hard to imagine a kid who had celebrities and NBA players at all of his high school games is ok with sitting out a year and being out of the spotlight. You guys are probably right. 

I have mixed feelings...if he realizes he is only going to play mop up minutes, then this move certainly allows him to build skills and allows him to play more meaningful minutes here or elsewhere next season.

He is a player who reconfirmed his commitment here after Matt was bounced and Fred was placed in the corner.  That sort of makes me think he would like to succeed here.

Players with that four and five star talent, tends to move onto pro ball before their full eligibility is up.  Five years in college seems rare.

If he is unhappy, he will likely leave at semester, if not sooner.

Leaving at semester doesn’t make the best sense in some regards, you’re still not eligible until next year (if I understand that correctly) and your options are more limited since many places are at the scholarship limit. Plus, wherever you go the coach could move on at the end of the year leaving you in the lurch. The only thing gained is a couple months of practice and assimilation, I wouldn’t see that it would be worth it.

5 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Leaving at semester doesn’t make the best sense in some regards, you’re still not eligible until next year (if I understand that correctly) and your options are more limited since many places are at the scholarship limit. Plus, wherever you go the coach could move on at the end of the year leaving you in the lurch. The only thing gained is a couple months of practice and assimilation, I wouldn’t see that it would be worth it.

I agree with this IF the coach you are currently playing for is expected to be around next year. If not then leaving at semester and going to a program where you know the coach you're getting and having a little more time to assimilate kinda makes sense. Especially if you're not gonna play anyway. Or you roll the dice and stay and maybe Hoiberg stays and you're part of his plan or he doesn't and you might not be part of the next guys plan.

6'6 kids who can pull this trigger don't grow on trees. I'd like to see if we can develop him, nurture him. Maybe there's background noise and somebody in his ear causing problems with their own agenda. That happens sometimes. Usually to a kid's detriment. But if he's redshirting to save a year to play somewhere else, then there's a good chance someone is running interference. Hope that's not the case. Because, again, 6'6 kids who can pull this trigger don't grow on trees.

If you didn't see Hoiberg's Zoom press conference today, here's what he had to say on Ramel.

“Just a conversation with Ramel. He’d had multiple conversations with his family on the subject, and it’s just what is most comfortable at this time. Obviously things can change; this isn’t something that has to be a season-long decision. If something changes with any type of circumstance where we would need Ramel, I talked to him about that.”

5 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

What's your thoughts on situation..???  That doesn't really tell me anything.

It caught me by surprise, though I wasn't exactly digging around asking about it. Seems like it was a choice made shortly before the season started. He was probably No. 10 in a 9-man rotation at the end of the preseason. I can't speak to his health situation. I thought there was a chance for him to crack that rotation if Tominaga doesn't take a step forward from where he was last year, or perhaps if the Bandoumel as back-up point guard thing didn't work out. But like Matt said, the most likely path to pulling that redshirt would be an injury to one of Griesel or Bandoumel. 

• 2 months later...