uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 1: Maine

uneblinstu

Listed to our favorite PBP Kent,

1.  This team must have balanced scoring and I think they will.

2.  Can’t wait for Walker to return.

3.  Tominaga has a role on this team and in this league.  Don’t try to tell me otherwise.

4.  Sam with a quietish 22.

5.  Gary double double with 8 O boards. I remember when teams used to do that to us.

6.  Hate to see Maine get back into it, but love that we fought.

7. Games get tougher from here.  Starting Thursday.

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Listed to our favorite PBP Kent,

1.  This team must have balanced scoring and I think they will.

2.  Can’t wait for Walker to return.

3.  Tominaga has a role on this team and in this league.  Don’t try to tell me otherwise.

4.  Sam with a quietish 22.

5.  Gary double double with 8 O boards. I remember when teams used to do that to us.

6.  Hate to see Maine get back into it, but love that we fought.

7. Games get tougher from here.  Starting Thursday.

My fear is that Tominaga is good against teams like Maine. And will struggle again vs B10/P5 competition.

-Gary and Sam will absolutely compete in the BIG. I think Bando will as well. I know DW can assume he can come back and be healthy.

-WB has a ton of great skills, just need to hone them in. He has the skills, but with his foot speed he needs to anticipate early. I think he has all the tools, but just needs to catch up because of his injury.
-The game looked extremely fast all around. Maybe I’m just getting old.

-Keisei might win us 3-5 games this year, and might lose us 1. I love KT on this team

-I love DD’s 

3 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Our help and recovery was really burned early In the 2nd half. It seemed to me that Maine had better shots than we were able to generate.  I had bad feelings when the lead was cut to 2 early in 2 nd half.  But a win is a win and they will be rare. 

It still seems like we over help like Doc pushed.  I was hoping most of our guys could guard better straight up.  

A lot more energy. A lot greater sense of urgency than last year.

Gary is clumsy with the ball and doesn't have a deft touch around the rim. But he's an amazingly quick leaper with long arms and can snag offensive rebounds. It's almost as though he's using his first shot as an opportunity to pass the ball to himself off the rim so he can go back and get it and put it in.

I like the Griesel kid. I'm glad he's a Husker. I think we'd have been better off as a program if he'd been here all along. Better late than never. We won't win many games without him.

Defense is troubling. Like very troubling. We're collapsing inside and lowly Maine is kicking it out and reversing it and finding open shooters and we're either not closing out fast enough or biting on pump fakes, leaving our feet, and flying by the shooter to give them a 5 on 4 advantage. What's going to happen when we play someone good?

There's not really anyone on this team who is a bucket. No kid who's just going to go get you points. But we have unselfish players who are willing to run the system and wait for their shots rather than force the action so they make sure they get theirs. I will probably forever resent Verge and McGowens for their selfish play. I look at this group and think, man, if we just had a lightning-quick PG who could make seeing-eye passes and a long, smooth shooting guard who could get to the rim and shoot from outside, we'd be competitive. Well, we had those guys last year but they were soooo focused on trying to make sure they got theirs that they sacrificed the team. We'll be a better *team* this year without them. If only they had bought in. Character flaws. 

Keisei had a night. Happy for him. Quit trying to draw fouls on three-point attempts and just go play.

We made some in game adjustments that seemed positive.  We play hard, but need to play a bit smarter at times.  This was said earlier, Sam's scoring was quiet.  The points pretty much came to him.  He only forced a couple shots due to time clock issues.  Gary did force a few, but the dude has a great motor.

This team does not have anyone with the natural talent of Bryce McGowens - BUT we have kids that play much harder and are fun to watch.    As talented as they were it was hard for me to enjoy watching Bryce M. and Alonzo V. play last year.   But it is really fun to watch Juwan Gary, Emmanuel Badoumel, Sam Greisel and Denim Dawson play basketball.   I agree that with our schedule and this group a 500 record would be a success - but this are certainly players that you want to root for at least.

I liked a few things, still a lot of improvement but it’s early on. 

Baundumel, Dawson, and Gary are Big 10 league players, at least athletically. 
Collier would’ve loved to have just one of those guys.

Sam is sneaky crafty around the hoop. Looked at times like he didn’t have a high motor but then at times he did. A guy next to me said it looked like he was distracted. But he did lead the team in scoring.

Someone tells me KT 30 had 19 and I would’ve guessed all threes or free throws. He had 10 points in the paint, a few nice cuts and some nifty drives and finger rolls. And I know it’s Maine. But if we’re gonna give praise to the other players for playing well against Maine, I don’t want to hear that KT30 is only going to do this against teams like Maine. He definitely has a role on this team and I have to wonder if his increased role had something to do with Ramel redshirting??? Anyway, fellas, a win is a win

I liked when Maine went on a run we did not just jack up shots. We went to the rim and scored. I also thought after that run we played them more straight up on defense and looked a little better doing that. Overall happy with the game and W.

Concerns on 3pt shooting, teams that press us (St John’s), and giving up dribble penetration and slow rotations

Get a W on Thursday

I ragged on Wilhelm after the Colorado game so so feel like I need to give him some props tonight.  He was a lot better!  Hopefully he continues to improve. Wilcher was a disappointment tonight. Hopefully he gets it figured out. Wasn’t overly impressed with his defensive effort out there. 

Edited by ConkintheCorner