Maggie Mendelson

Fastbreaker

5 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

So Mendelson, a supposedly all world middle blocker, got beat out by a freshman from little Waverly High School and has not seen the court in a month.  Come to the basketball team Maggie. I know you would get more playing time.

Allick was the 6th rated player in the 2022 class (also rated the number 1 middle blocker).  Mendelson reclassified late to this class.  She might still be 17 years old, not sure. It was her choice, to play both sports.  If not allowed to play volleyball, she would be wearing some other schools jersey.

Maggie Mendelson has performed fairly well for a 17 year old freshman on a top 5 volleyball squad. She could likely be a big part of the equation in 2023 for John Cook (since Kaitlyn Hord's eligibility will have been completed).

I'm not seeing the problem with her competing for both NU volleyball and NU basketball. If Nebraska hadn't allowed M.M. to try both, she wouldn't be in Lincoln... end of story.

Mendelson will not ever see the court unless it is to replace an underperforming starter. Cook has too many high level players (23 class again ranked #1) coming in here at MB or RS attacker. Allick was on an USANT as was Mendelson. Allick will be a multi AA when she is done at NE. I think she will settle on WBB in a couple of years.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:27 AM, Fastbreaker said:

My whole point is that the BB team has one center.  Markowski gets in foul trouble or is injured, we are in a would of hurt.  Mendelson could help the BB team rather than be a volleyball bench warmer.

The problem is not Maggie.  Coach Williams should have brought in a transfer player that could play forward or center.  

1 hour ago, Tinpanalley said:

The problem is not Maggie.  Coach Williams should have brought in a transfer player that could play forward or center.  

Sorry but I don't see that there is a problem.  Coach Amy isn't going to blink an eye when she has a chance to get a top 100 player.  Particularly a 6-5 inside player.  

Maggie or anyone else.

This whole discussion is silly.....over and out on this thread.

3 hours ago, Tinpanalley said:

I don't disagree.  We lost Cravens (big loss) and Tatiana Pope (another roster spot).  Not sure what our scholarship numbers are, but you would think there was 

room for another body.  Having room, and finding a good fit, probably easier said, then done.  Throw in the Covid year, not sure we lose anyone this year (other than Sam). We need to have room for some new recruits or transfers.  Roster management probably turns hair gray.  Not an easy task.

That's right, Cazzie.  I think that Bella left because she saw her role diminishing.  During last season, AM moved ahead of her and into the starting lineup.  Then she noted the coming arrival of MM and the probability that by mid-season she would be #3 at the position.  And just as BC saw that, any prospective similarly sized and talented player in the transfer pool would have seen it too.  Players transfer for many reasons, but high on the reasons list is that they want to play.  So a 6-3 or so post/forward who enters the pool because she isn't playing enough at her existing school goes looking for a new home. She is alerted the NU, scans the roster and sees a 6-3 conference freshman of the year and a 6-5 top 20 (or so) incoming freshman and ...... keeps looking for schools with better prospects for playing time. 

We really are a guard, small forward heavy team. Amy should have looked for a transfer (4-5) to come in. I hope Alexis has just a minor problem with her back and is able to play through it. If the VB team play in Omaha I think it was stated Maggie was taking a couple of weeks before starting her BB season. That would put her after Xmas just in time for the Michigan game. Coley is not a front court player, and Stewart can be a liability on the defensive end. If we lose Alexis or Issie for a few games or longer it would be tough sledding until Maggie gets here. 

I really dont see this as a problem. Our Non-Conference really isnt that much. If we dont win most of our games outside of Creighton we have a problem any way. And MM wouldnt really help much with Creighton either. 

We wont need MM till Conference play this year so I am not to worried about it this year. 

I also believe if MM isnt playing volleyball she wont be at Nebraska so again it wouldnt matter again. 

19 hours ago, redsteve said:

Sorry but I don't see that there is a problem.  Coach Amy isn't going to blink an eye when she has a chance to get a top 100 player.  Particularly a 6-5 inside player.  

Maggie or anyone else.

This whole discussion is silly.....over and out on this thread.

On June 17th, 2022 you stated in Potts' thread that she is "a power forward we need".  We do not lose any of our bigs this year but yet we "need" this one for next year.  Confusing.