Walker's injury

Norm Peterson

19 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Just spit ballin' here. A few posts elude to this being about medical marijuana. And the phrase "healthcare" issue continues to be used. An aside, I have worked in healthcare for 20+ years. Never, not once, have I heard any person use the phrase "healthcare" issue. Not a Dr, RN, PT, OT, CNA, Case Manager, Administrator, and not one patient EVER. 

So here is my pure speculation from the info from this board(you are all my only sources 😉). I am wondering what the NCAA policy is on the use of Medical Marijuana. Now I understand it's probably pop (+) and you're suspended (purely a guess). But let's say a player has a UA scheduled. Player also has a documented medical Rx for Cannabis. Tells coach this before they pee into a cup because it's gonna be (+). The player then doesn't pee in a cup (or does). The player is then given a month (time still generally thought for THC to metabolize) to give a "clean" urine sample. And since the marijuana is a prescribed medication what we have now is a "healthcare" issue.

4 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Just spit ballin' here. A few posts elude to this being about medical marijuana. And the phrase "healthcare" issue continues to be used. An aside, I have worked in healthcare for 20+ years. Never, not once, have I heard any person use the phrase "healthcare" issue. Not a Dr, RN, PT, OT, CNA, Case Manager, Administrator, and not one patient EVER. 

Believe the "medical" part of the post was in jest as medical marijuana is not legal in Nebraska.

Imagining this team for any stretch without Walker is a scary thought. He is a defensive difference maker and it seems like we want to play through him in the post again on offense. Hell he even brought the ball up for a possession against Chadron St which looked designed, not to mention he seems to be the leader and face of the team. Any list of most indispensable players has to start with Derrick

4 hours ago, Breslin Petteway said:

Imagining this team for any stretch without Walker is a scary thought. He is a defensive difference maker and it seems like we want to play through him in the post again on offense. Hell he even brought the ball up for a possession against Chadron St which looked designed, not to mention he seems to be the leader and face of the team. Any list of most indispensable players has to start with Derrick

Agree 100%.  

Huskers can probably survive if Walker is out for 4 games or less.  If Nebraska can manage 3-1 in their first 4 (playing 3 buy-in games), then it would probably be the same record of 3-1 with or without Walker after 4 (going to be very difficult to beat St. John's on the road with or without Walker).  But anything more than that may end this thing before it evens get started.   The 5th, 6th and 7th games are the ESPN Invitational, all against high quality opponents.  If Walker plays, Huskers would have a chance to secure at least one upset and gain a little mojo for the rest of the season.  Without Walker, any chance at a upset is highly unlikely and a few blowouts are possible, killing morale and momentum for the season.   After that tourney, Huskers play Boston College, Creighton, Indiana, Purdue and K.St.  Brutal.   Even if Walker comes back after the Invitational, he would have to integrate into the team with all the new players on-the-fly against 5 straight power 5 schools.

PLUS, Fred has said that late last year he changed the entire offense to focus more on Walker.  Not just dumping it into the post, but running the offense through him on the high post, along with a good dose of pick-and-roll.  Fred recently said they continued this emphasis of running the offense through Walker this year.  Walker is a good passer, and is mobile enough to roll to the basket, and has decent hands.  Keita and Oleg are taller, but are less athletic, are more traditional centers, are not as skilled and do not have the experience or ability to be the focus of the entire offense.  If Walker is out for 7 or more games, not only do the Huskers likely lose 3-4 of those games, but the new players do not get any game experience playing with Walker and running the true offense that Fred wants to run.  They would have to re-learn the entire offense one-third of the way through the season, with new players on a new team, etc. 

39 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I get a lot of information from a lot of different people, yet I have not heard anything regarding DW.  Nothing. I did get confirmation that he is day-to-day.  

Here is my issue, if someone has concrete information, please share.  But rumors and innuendo that besmearches a kids reputation is pretty mean spirited.   I guess it is a reflection of the current environment. 

Yup...until we know what's going on...the topic of Walker should probably be put on mute. 

15 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I get a lot of information from a lot of different people, yet I have not heard anything regarding DW.  Nothing. I did get confirmation that he is day-to-day.  

Here is my issue, if someone has concrete information, please share.  But rumors and innuendo that besmearches a kids reputation is pretty mean spirited.   I guess it is a reflection of the current environment. 

Current environment?  Filling a void of concreate information with hearsay or innuendos has been happening on this website its entire existence. 

It's pretty plain to see that Nebraska isn't going to release any information and likely cannot as a "healthcare issue" is going to require signoff from Derrick as we're talking about a HIPAA issue which creates a vacuum that is being filled.  I would advise people to be cautious as always in issues like this but while there is nothing on here that I'd be comfortable tweeting out I really can't push back against anything and am working off the assumption that Derrick is going to miss a chunk of games to start the season.

Edited by hhcmatt
Acronym correction

14 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

And really it isn’t any of our business.

Just saw this on Facebook....seemed relevant:

Here's why you should not GOSSIP.

In Ancient Greece, Socrates had a great reputation of wisdom. One day, someone came to find the great philosopher and said to him:

- Do you know what I just heard about your friend?

- A moment, replied Socrates. Before you tell me, I would like to test you the three sieves.

- The three sieves?

- Yes, continued Socrates. Before telling anything about the others, it's good to take the time to filter what you mean. 

I call it the test of the three sieves. 

The first sieve is the TRUTH. Have you checked if what you're going to tell me is true?

- No, I just heard it.

- Very good! So, you don't know if it's true. 

We continue with the second sieve, that of KINDNESS. What you want to tell me about my friend, is it good?

- Oh, no! On the contrary.

- So, questioned Socrates, you want to tell me bad things about him and you're not even sure they're true? Maybe you can still pass the test of the third sieve, that of UTILITY. Is it useful that I know what you're going to tell me about this friend?

- No, really.

- So, concluded Socrates, what you were going to tell me is neither true, nor good, nor useful. Why, then, did you want to tell me this?

"Gossip is a bad thing. 

In the beginning it may seem enjoyable and fun, but in the end, it fills our hearts with bitterness and poisons us, too!" 

- Pope Francis