Walker's injury

Norm Peterson

Has anyone heard anything about Derrick Walker?

The only thing I've seen was a kind of cryptic tweet from Robin Washut saying it was a medical issue and that Hoiberg declined to elaborate.

Oddly quiet on that front so maybe we can assume it was no big deal and maybe a precautionary, game-time thing. No reason to risk exacerbating anything during an exhibition that doesn't count, right?

OR maybe I've just been oblivious to the discussion, and someone posted about it somewhere else. If it's been posted somewhere else, I apologize.

42 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Has anyone heard anything about Derrick Walker?

The only thing I've seen was a kind of cryptic tweet from Robin Washut saying it was a medical issue and that Hoiberg declined to elaborate.

Oddly quiet on that front so maybe we can assume it was no big deal and maybe a precautionary, game-time thing. No reason to risk exacerbating anything during an exhibition that doesn't count, right?

OR maybe I've just been oblivious to the discussion, and someone posted about it somewhere else. If it's been posted somewhere else, I apologize.

it's been brought up in the post-game Colorado thread about the amount of games he might miss though not why

The word on the street is that he might be out until December.

If this was a typical basketball related injury issue, you'd at the very least year that he's dealing with a {body part} 

I'd assume that we'll hear something at the presser before the Maine game.

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That's sort of the first thought that crosses your mind....like if the website isn't working the first thought is probably I broke it trying to update it because that's happened before.

Of course it could be almost anything else too, let's be clear about that.  It just comes to mind when the coach makes a cryptic statement like he did.  Derrick's history suggests it could be a possibility.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Whatever it might be, losing one of the few proven commodities on this team (especially someone who can score on the block) is going to cost us Wins. Here’s hoping to a speedy return…

Wins?  As in plural?  That's implying we were going to win more than one game this year.  Guess you're now the optimist in these here forums. 

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Pure speculation on my part, nothing more.

Well, I hope your pure speculation is wrong and that it's something more like a nagging hamstring or something like that.

Because: 1) this dude got PAID to play this year; 2) his coach is CLEARLY on the hot seat; 3) he is one of the most important players on the team who we need to have do well if there's any hope for this season and, frankly, any hope for this staff.

If your speculation turns out right, then this guy didn't just let down his team. His absence could result in losses that become the nail in the coffin of the Hoiberg tenure. If he jeopardized the coach's job for THAT, I would be righteously pissed if I was a member of this staff.

There's a lot at stake for a lot of people so I sure hope he wasn't ... y'know ... doing what you said.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, I hope your pure speculation is wrong and that it's something more like a nagging hamstring or something like that.

Because: 1) this dude got PAID to play this year; 2) his coach is CLEARLY on the hot seat; 3) he is one of the most important players on the team who we need to have do well if there's any hope for this season and, frankly, any hope for this staff.

If your speculation turns out right, then this guy didn't just let down his team. His absence could result in losses that become the nail in the coffin of the Hoiberg tenure. If he jeopardized the coach's job for THAT, I would be righteously pissed if I was a member of this staff.

There's a lot at stake for a lot of people so I sure hope he wasn't ... y'know ... doing what you said.

He was on the bench in street clothes and looked to be in good spirits during the Colorado game. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

27 minutes ago, Crush78 said:

The healthcare issue phrasing makes it sound non basketball. Aren't there some medical conditions that can be exacerbated by altitude?

Sickle cell trait is a known issue exacerbated by altitude; Former NFL safety Ryan Clark ended up having his spleen and gall bladder removed after a game in Denver.

The one specific thing I heard is that this wasn't altitude related.