uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, prologue: @ Colorado

uneblinstu

Didn’t see a ton.  Had kid duty too.  Got the ole “it’s just an exhibition” talk lol.

1.  Oleg will be a positive role player sooner rather than later.

2.  For a team that’s going to have to win games on the end of the floor where we don’t control the ball, we can’t spot teams a 10-0 lead or get down 15-20 points.

3.  It’s an exhibition.

4.  Please don’t lose Walker but also hope he’s ok.  It didn’t sound promising. But I could be reading into the Hoiberg quote too much.

5. How long before we see some shakeup in the starting line up?

6.  Keisei with bad percentages but will play an important role on this team.  My fear is that he tries to do too much when in there.  He needs to be a 6-9 PPG guy who shoots 40% from 3.

7.  It’s just an exhibition.

8.  I don’t know that this team will lose games to the likes of Southern Utah or Western Illinois.  I just don’t know if we’ll win many against P5 competition.

9.  Colorado should be pretty good, so I’m happy with the fight.  We didn’t roll over and die and very well could have.  This team doesn’t have a stud.  Honestly there’s good and bad throughout the top 10-12 players.

10.  It’s an exhibition.

Edited by hskr4life

This was an exhibition game.

We played without DW.

we played vanilla, at best.

Oleg played well.

We played hard.

We have to establish a rotation.   We may need to tweak the starting group.  We struggled at the start of both halves again.

Shooting was poor.  We need a couple shooters (CJ) to find their rhythm. 

We fought for rebounds but lost the battle often.

I sort of liked how we defended.  I say sort of because Colorado missed some open looks.

On the positive side we played a good team on the road (first road game)  without our starting center and shot 3 for 10 on free throws and only lost by 11.

We had defensive possessions where all 5 guys were down in stance ready to guard.  (did not happen much last year)

We had guys with some hustle plays like hitting the O boards and so on.  (did not happen much last year)

Need to get Wilcher shots.  (should see more sets for him in regular season)

Oleg surprisingly can do some things. 

Why can't Nebraska teams make free throws?

If Joe Hurlburt came to Nebraska he would not be able to guard Juwan Gary in practice. 

This is a team that can't turn the ball over, (which we did early), must rebound better, can't give up easy buckets (which we did early)  and again, can we make a free throw once in a while?

I wonder if we have a zone defense ready for the regular season?

I watched the entire game on the stream.

Good to see Tominaga hit early but then he pressed when he was in. 
J. Lawrence came in and jacked up two quick shots without passing and was pulled.

I don’t mind being aggressive but hope our shorts are better than those.

I was high on Oleg last year in warm ups, anyways. He’s not polished but is 7 feet tall.

Sam will create some issues for smaller guards. His behind the back move into a two handed dunk was impressive.

WB still looks a bit rusty, which is to be expected.

Juwan and Dawson will be our glue guys and actually thought Baundumel had a nice game.

All right, on to the games that count!!

Hope Walker is Ok!! 

9 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Conspiracy time.

"Healthcare reasons" is kind of an odd term don't you think?  Perhaps the issue isn't his???  Or perhaps it had something to do with altitude?

To be fair, Kent asked the question quickly as Fred was leaving the table. Fred answered quickly, then walked away. A lot of thought wasn't really put into it. 

I second your opinion, tcp.

This team is almost certainly a last-place team again, which will solidify Hoiberg as  statistically the worst coach in the history of modern basketball among the so-called power conferences (he already is according to official basketball statistics).

This year's iteration will struggle to find six wins. I think it is more likely they win five games than fifteen, and this in the coach's fourth year! Truly astonishing.

To disabuse the optimists of any future success under Hoiberg, NU has been slipping back into their historically lowly position with recruits too. No longer do we see our name alongside good programs for high-school talent which we had with his "friend" Coach Abdelmassih. With Coach A, we at least had a chance to hope that his talented "head-cases" would do something....

This year's team can't shoot, rebound or even play good defense. I've watched this team practice, and have been suffering through NU basketball seasons for decades. This team and program is a joke- worse than any of Collier's, Sadler's or Miles'. An example of the idiocy is that Tominaga is on scholarship at a Big Ten school. This is unhinged. Hoiberg's vision is unsound. He belongs in a commentator's booth where he doesn't have to coach or recruit. He is bright and interesting, but then so am I as are many of you, but I know I don't possess skills enough to coach a basketball team, Mr. Hoiberg, alas, does not.

I am wondering if or when Hoiberg will recognize what long-suffering fans have known for quite some time now: that he can't coach. Or will he be stubborn and stupid like Frost and force the A.D. to fire him? How much humiliation can one man take? He has millions. He could quietly retire and comfortably be forgotten without any worries about his finances.

One depressing example of our ineptitude against CU was the meager production we saw w/ Keita against CU. He (Keita) was a first-team Junior college All-American given a chance to show what he can do with Walker not playing.  Only at NU will a player with those accolades be a minor-to-non factor. I know it is only the second game, but can anyone with any knowledge of basketball think of a first team Juco All-American who plays for a shitty team without any post players and only ends up scoring two more points than a dead man? Breidenbach appears to be a total bust as well.

Alberts simply needs to see if there is a coach who has the courage to take charge of the worst Power conference team in all of basketball. It shouldn't be too difficult to attract one. Remember, he will be paid a few million per year to follow the worst coach in basketball history. Perhaps Alberts takes action by mid-season, as he did with Frost. To be better, they simply need to hire the first applicant! Any coach not worried about his legacy should be happy to take millions per year to try to get NU out of the Big Ten cellar for a year or two. If somehow he has a year or two at thirteenth place in the league this will count as success.

By the way, I'd agree to a contract for a twentieth of the money Hoiberg makes- and will guarantee four straight abysmal seasons, as I'm sure many of you would as well.

As for the critics who will take issue with this assessment- go back and re-read my dire but completely accurate prediction of last year's team at the beginning of the season. The same fools who ineptly criticized me then will do it again this year. I was right then, and I will be right this year, and rather than offer a childish ad-hominim attack, try and offer a rebuttal to the statements made if you dare. Leave off with the kindergarten rejoinders. It makes you look dumber than you likely are. You are an NU basketball fan. inured to perpetual losing. You just don't want to be reminded.

1 hour ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

One depressing example of our ineptitude against CU was the meager production we saw w/ Keita against CU. He (Keita) was a first-team Junior college All-American given a chance to show what he can do with Walker not playing.  Only at NU will a player with those accolades be a minor-to-non factor. I know it is only the second game, but can anyone with any knowledge of basketball think of a first team Juco All-American who plays for a shitty team without any post players and only ends up scoring two more points than a dead man? Breidenbach appears to be a total bust as well.

"Try and offer a rebuttal to the statements made if you dare... It makes you look dumber than you likely are."

Ok, here goes.

Keita wasn't a first team All-American. He wasn't even second team, third team, or honorable mention All-American. Shoot, he wasn't even first team All-Jayhawk Conference - 2nd team all-conference last year and did not make the all-conference team his freshman year. 

Even so, it is an anomaly when a JUCO player (even a first team All-American) excels at this level, or even plays at this level.

It seems like your own lack of knowledge is the source of your anger here. 

2020/21 first team All-Americans and what they did in the 2021-22 season:

Deng Dut - Wyoming.  0.7 ppg  0.8 rpg 

Tyem Freeman - UCF.  5.0 ppg  2.1  rpg  0.9 apg

Tyrel Morgan - Texas State.  4.2 ppg  3.2 rpg

Rivaldo Soares - Oregon.  4.7 ppg  2.7 rpg  0.7 apg

Matt Mayers - Robert Morris.  6.0 ppg  4.4  rpg

Dalen Ridgnal - Missouri State.  2.7 ppg  2.9  rpg

Linton Brown - Coastal Carolina.  3.0  ppg  1.5  rpg

Malevy Leons - Bradley.  9.9 ppg  5.9  rpg

Dashawn Davis - Oregon State.  10.9 ppg  3.1 rpg  5.5  apg. Then transferred to Mississippi State.

Edited by millerhusker

3 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

The same fools who ineptly criticized me then will do it again this year. I was right then, and I will be right this year, and rather than offer a childish ad-hominim attack, try and offer a rebuttal to the statements made if you dare. Leave off with the kindergarten rejoinders. It makes you look dumber than you likely are. You are an NU basketball fan. inured to perpetual losing. You just don't want to be reminded.

Makes ad-hominin attack.

Next sentence...

Rails against ad-hominin attacks.

3 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Or will he be stubborn and stupid like Frost and force the A.D. to fire him? How much humiliation can one man take? He has millions. He could quietly retire and comfortably be forgotten without any worries about his finances.

Perhaps Alberts takes action by mid-season, as he did with Frost. 

As for the critics who will take issue with this assessment- go back and re-read my dire but completely accurate prediction of last year's team at the beginning of the season. The same fools who ineptly criticized me then will do it again this year. I was right then, and I will be right this year, and rather than offer a childish ad-hominim attack, try and offer a rebuttal to the statements made if you dare. Leave off with the kindergarten rejoinders. It makes you look dumber than you likely are. You are an NU basketball fan. inured to perpetual losing. You just don't want to be reminded.

It's not "stubborn or stupid" for him to force the AD to fire him. There is not a single person on this board who would quit, and leave millions on the table for the good of DONU.

Have it on pretty good authority that HCFH won't make it to Christmas. I'm just going to leave it at that.

It takes a certain lack of self awareness to include that last paragraph, when everything before it was mostly the venting of a frustrated fan. All of us have been there.

Seems to be that you have spent to much time on this message board,  and for your mental health I would suggest taking a break until sometime after Dec 17th.

Your wish is going to come true. At this point there is no need to pile on or exhaust emotional energy.