uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, introduction: Chadron State

uneblinstu

It looked…. Oh…. I dunno. 

I think there’s some philosophical, X’s and O’s things they need to clear up on defense. I imagine what I saw is certainly not what is visualized by the staff, or, my god…. 

Think they need to figure out some personnel stuff. Not sure WB can play with another 4/5 on the court at the same time. I don’t think you can play KT unless he comes in and literally hits the first 3 he shoots. He just provides literally nothing else. Liked some of the new guys. All bring juice, length, toughness. Not really sure what to think about a few of them… BK specifically. Looks like he has the knees of a 45 year old and is a pretty raw/inexperienced player (plays hard tho). I hope people caught a glimpse of what I think Cale can do in the future. He was so close to making a couple things happen in his few minutes of play. When he capitalizes on that stuff I think he could have a role.

Last thing… I’ll take his word for it that there’s much more in the playbook. Cause if there’s not I’m going to be very frustrated. 

Edited by basketballjones

52 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Another season is here, which means a new season of the chatter is, too!

I had to take this year off from season tickets and don't have the streaming platform this game was on, so I didn't get to see anything of this one. How'd everything look?

Bad.

52 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Another season is here, which means a new season of the chatter is, too!

I had to take this year off from season tickets and don't have the streaming platform this game was on, so I didn't get to see anything of this one. How'd everything look?

It’s tough to gauge considering the lack of size of CSU. We attacked the boards really well, but one could argue that’s because we were just simply taller than all their players. The effort was definitely there tho. Gary looked really good. Sam had some great moments but some Summit League moments too. They need to shoot better than 23% from 3 to beat anyone with a pulse imo. 

It was an exhibition game against an undersized and underwhelming team.

I am going to put a positive spin on the scrimmage rather than focus on some of the negatives that existed.  I do this because last year was horrible and there were things I enjoyed seeing:

*  Overall effort was good

*  Rebounding effort and positioning was positive

* Ball sharing was better.  Hero Ball was not present.

*  Overall team athleticism is better.  Plus we appear to be stronger/bigger.

*  We have a good mix of youngsters and experience. 

---Dawson is an athlete---

These games are always "lose-lose" situations. Even if you win by 80 there isn't much excitement that comes from them. In my experience a team in Nebraska's position may not even scout the oppenent so it forces the guys to have to adjust to what they are seeing on the fly. Not saying they did that, but its pretty common.

Think the doom and gloom is a bit premature, saw a lot of good thing to go with the bad.. This game did not make me any more or less excited.

Dominated inside against a team we should, hasn’t been the case in recent years and Walker did not play much.

We have nice length across the board and good effort on Def for the most part.

Very few hero ball shots (CJ had one)

Good ball movement overall which led to good shots that we want but didn’t make (as it should against poor teams)

Fast breaks were run efficiently. How many 3-1, 3-2 breaks have we F’d up the last few years?

Were as basic as you could be on both ends.

Lloyd looked good handling the ball and Lawrence has a nice looking shot. Will be interesting to see if they get minutes. If KT does not shoot better one of them will get his.

Bad

3point shooting, which will probably be our killer all year.

Turnovers we’re mostly just lazy passes. Hope that improves when there is more intensity

Dribble drive defense, hope we see some zone or match up at some point but we were basic today

Hope Blaise would show more shot blocking and offense. He moved ok but tried taking a block every time. Him and Oleg need to get a little more physical.

Hope they stream CU game. Fred said they crushed a good Wyoming team

Edited by Art Vandalay

Doom and gloom after Hoiberg called the same play on offense and defense? It was an exhibition game, my God. 
1) great to be back at PBA. Strange to see my fellow fans with a beer but good for them!

2) Gary has a high motor. That counts. I won’t name names but last year players could literally loaf and not get benched.

3) We will be scrappy and defensive minded. I like that.

4) I expect there to be some rust. It’s a friggin exhibition game. Sam and Juwan were bright spots. Tominaga will play more because of his 3 pt shooting threat.

5) I’m not panicking yet 

Notes and quotes

Nebraska Coach Fred Hoiberg

Opening statement

“I was really pleased with our overall effort tonight. I thought guys came out and played the right way for the most part played extremely hard. It is what we were looking for out of this game was to come out and really try to establish ourselves on the defensive end. I thought we had some really key moments out there when Denim (Dawson) came in the game and Juwan (Gary) came in the game. Just all over the place and all over the glass picking up full court. Emmanuel (Bandoumel) was huge in that as well after a tough start offensively. We did not shoot the ball well although we kept that about as basic as you possibly can. For this game what we were looking to get out of it I thought we accomplished. Playing with great effort and having some good solid sustained defensive possessions. I thought the run that Chadron went on to start the second half was good. I thought the guys stayed together through that adversity which you have to have and then went on two big runs I think 13-2 and 21-0 in the second half to really open it up. So we are really pleased with the effort. We have plenty to clean up which we will get back to this week heading into our next opportunity against Colorado and hopefully be where we need to be when we open up on the seventh.”

On the struggles with shooting and defensive effort

“It certainly been the message early on in the season especially when that ball is not going in the hoop you have to find a way to string together stops and I thought what that did is it got us out in transition and then the second-chance points we got was a great sign. I talked about changing our philosophy on the offensive glass just based on personnel. I think you saw some of that tonight, but you have to get stops.  I thought (Sam) Griesel was phenomenal all game long. I think that is what you are going to see out of him as a stat-sheet stuffer all season long. We were efficient besides shooting the ball from the three-point line. I thought in transition we were pretty good.”

On Juwan Gary

“Juwan was all over the place. I am proud of him for his overall mentality of coming in the game and being a difference maker and a guy that can completely change the pace and the fabric of the game based on effort. His athleticism certainly showed but like I said, he and Denim (Dawson) I thought were terrific as far as changing the overall pace and getting into the ball and certainly giving us some opportunity. It was good to see Juwan (Gary) continue to shoot the open ones. They were playing way off of him. He has worked extremely hard on his three-point shot. We have looked at a lot of things from Alabama and he had a big shift on his left side. He has really worked on his balance, and he shot the ball very well especially on his open three-point looks so it is good to see him knock a couple of those down.”

Nebraska Forward Derrick Walker:

On adjusting to the game

“It was our first time playing with each other against somebody else. To go out guns blazing, that’s what we wanted to do, but we needed to settle into the game. There’s a lot of pregame jitters, and for a lot of people that was their first game in PBA. Getting the jitters out was the biggest thing for our group, we just had to settle into the game.”0

On the team's energy and togetherness:

“This team is amazing Everyone was standing because we were so happy for each other. We gel well together. To see our other guys get into the game, we got a team that everyone can be in the rotation or start. Knowing that everyone is bought in and playing together and happy for each other, that's our thing right now, we are all happy. We can't wait to put on a show for PBA and play for each other.”

Nebraska Guard Sam Griesel:

On the slow start to both halves:

“It’s just part of basketball. It’s a game of runs, obviously. In the second half we didn’t start the way we wanted to. I think coach said we went on a 21-0 run, so that’s basketball. Believing in your teammates. We have a really together group. I was talking to Derrick at the end of the game there, I love playing with these guys. When we can rely on each other and maybe we aren’t executing as we should be or shots aren’t falling, we have that trust built in and it showed today.”

On Juwan Gary’s performance:

“I think at some points they kind of guarded him disrespectfully based on his talent level. We have the utmost confidence in his shot making ability, and if teams are going to guard him like that, we will feed him. He brings that dog mentality, and that showed tonight on the offensive boards. He's a really confident player and coming off the bench he brings a certain level of juice with his game and that is very infectious for the rest of us.”

On his first game at PBA:

“I’ve been waiting for this day for a very long time. I didn’t sleep very well last night. I am just kind of glad we got the jitters out. Like Derrick said, to play against someone else. At the end of the day, it is just a basketball game, and it is important for a lot of guys to remember that.”

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

It looked…. Oh…. I dunno. 

I think there’s some philosophical, X’s and O’s things they need to clear up on defense. I imagine what I saw is certainly not what is visualized by the staff, or, my god…. 

Think they need to figure out some personnel stuff. Not sure WB can play with another 4/5 on the court at the same time. I don’t think you can play KT unless he comes in and literally hits the first 3 he shoots. He just provides literally nothing else. Liked some of the new guys. All bring juice, length, toughness. Not really sure what to think about a few of them… BK specifically. Looks like he has the knees of a 45 year old and is a pretty raw/inexperienced player (plays hard tho). I hope people caught a glimpse of what I think Cale can do in the future. He was so close to making a couple things happen in his few minutes of play. When he capitalizes on that stuff I think he could have a role.

Last thing… I’ll take his word for it that there’s much more in the playbook. Cause if there’s not I’m going to be very frustrated. 

Cale is well put together. Thought he looked better suited to back up Henrich or Reimer…I mean that as a compliment 

really have no complaints, fun time being at PBA again and watching a real "game", the only thing I really want to say is that Keisei as it currently stands is brutal, otherwise, a fun game with the insane Sam dunk the highlight and also the crowd giving off great appreciation for Gary after his gritty performance today

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We had 19 offensive rebounds today.  I know this was versus an undersized and undertalented squad in a game that didn't count but the previous high by any team in any game for Hoiberg at Nebraska was 17 vs McNeese St.

That was the one stat that stood out to me this afternoon. It felt like great effort was expended by Nebraska's squad on the boards. It wasn't a pretty ballgame but it was gritty. Juwan Gary epitomized that mentality, and I loved every minute of it. That beats the crap out of the nonsense from dudes last year who seemed to exude 'crap effort'.

After Griesel's dunk he sprinted back on defense. No staring down the kid he posterized or flexing to the crowd. He acted like he's been there before. Like that's just what was supposed to happen. Loved it. Last year, Trey had a similar dunk and proceeded to celebrate like we won the Big Ten championship while Western Illinois went to the other end and got an open three, then went on to beat us a few minutes later. Later in the year, Bryce had a similar dunk and started taunting his opponent while we were losing by 20+ points late in the game. Those little things are signs and symptoms of a losing team that won't get better until there's a mentality change. I get jealous/frustrated when I see other teams' players act the way Griesel did after a big play. 

There was almost no ball stopping on offense yesterday (pretty good considering we didn't run any sets). Very different from the previous 3 teams. No time where four guys stood around watching one guy display his dribble moves and unnecessary counters that his instagram trainer had him practice in the offseason. If you like the style of play you see in an all-star game, I suppose you won't enjoy watching this team. 

I saw more guys willing to scrap and fight for rebounds, and more guys get down in a defensive stance and give effort for the full shot clock, than Hoiberg's previous teams. You don't need to wait until conference season to be able to see the overall mentality and competitiveness of a team. How you do anything is how you do everything. I expect Colorado to handle us next weekend, but I don't care. This team will be more competitive throughout the year than Hoiberg's other teams and I suspect some of you negative nancy's will fall in love with this group before too long. 

Didn't listen to the game, but the game summary doesn't seem to match up with the extreme pessimism by the observers. The nice rebounding against an overmatched team would seem to balance out the putrid three-point shooting. I wouldn't have wanted to watch our team unleash a barrage of three pointers in their first exhibition. Does anyone know if the Colorado game is on tv anywhere so I can begin to lower my expectations?

39 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Didn't listen to the game, but the game summary doesn't seem to match up with the extreme pessimism by the observers. The nice rebounding against an overmatched team would seem to balance out the putrid three-point shooting. I wouldn't have wanted to watch our team unleash a barrage of three pointers in their first exhibition. Does anyone know if the Colorado game is on tv anywhere so I can begin to lower my expectations?

Colorado is not gonna be streamed it seems, only on the radio sadly

52 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Didn't listen to the game, but the game summary doesn't seem to match up with the extreme pessimism by the observers. 

Understandable. But the weaknesses were glaring and the "oh that's how we could potentially lose games" was obvious. 

Don't watch the Colorado game. That is how you ruin your mind for the year. Trust me.