If this team has a surprise star, who's it going to be?

Norm Peterson

Who will be the surprising star?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the surprising star?

• CJ Wilcher
    • Ramel Lloyd, Jr.
    • Juwan Gary
    • Sam Griesel
    • Jamarques Lawrence
    • Denim Dawson
    • Derrick Walker
    • Blaise Keita
    • Emmanuel Bandoumel
    • Keisei Tominaga
    • Wilhelm Breidenbach
    • We don't have that guy

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but found it interesting (humorous?) enough to share.

On a recent Pick Six Pocast, Sam McKewon asked Tom Shatel how many players do you have to go down Creighton's roster before you get to Nebraska's best player (in other words, how many Creighton players are better than Nebaska's best player). 

Shatel said . . . . 10

Shatel is such an unabashed Creighton A** kisser what else would you expect? Remember they’re only THREE ahead of us in the All-time series and that’s after throwing up a 9-1 in the last 10. The tables can turn back in our favor just as fast…

2 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but found it interesting (humorous?) enough to share.

On a recent Pick Six Pocast, Sam McKewon asked Tom Shatel how many players do you have to go down Creighton's roster before you get to Nebraska's best player (in other words, how many Creighton players are better than Nebaska's best player). 

Shatel said . . . . 10

Tom's answer is either completely disingenuous or idiotic.  In the modern era of annual roster turnover and immediate transfer eligibility, it just isn't realistic for one power conference team's entire bench to be better than the best player on another power conference team.  Maybe there are a couple exceptions when you talk about the top 2-3 most talented rosters in the country, but generally speaking you just can't hoard talent like you could in the 80's and 90's. 

No, Creighton's 10th best player is not better than Walker and Griesel.

Edited by aphilso1

7 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Shatel said . . . . 10

Well, who are our best three players? Who on our team would be in contention for a roster spot at Creighton? Or any other high major program?

I remember a year when Tim Miles said he had 4 guys who anyone else in the league would take. And not just take but would have probably started for at least half of the Big Ten.

Do we have anyone who would start at any other Big Ten program? If so, who?

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, who are our best three players? Who on our team would be in contention for a roster spot at Creighton? Or any other high major program?

I remember a year when Tim Miles said he had 4 guys who anyone else in the league would take. And not just take but would have probably started for at least half of the Big Ten. SMU?

Do we have anyone who would start at any other Big Ten program? If so, who?

I believe we hope that the collective will overcome the lack of individual standouts.  Not sure if any of our players start for another team but didn’t Bandoumel start for SMU?

Edited by Cazzie22
Spelling

Griesel went head to head with Scheierman and more than held his own. Gary was 6th man part time starter on a sweet 16 team. Walker was in the rotation on a great Tenn team. I’m guessing they would be wanted by a lot of teams and were recruited by many P5 teams in the portal. Lloyd, WB, Kieta were all recruited by a lot P5 teams.

We may not have a guy that would start for anyone but we are not void of talent. Shatel is an idiot if he thinks that (well he is an idiot anyway to be fair)

So Juwan Gary could be a part-time starter for 6 seed Alabama but couldn't have a roster spot at Creighton or any team in the Big Ten? 

McDermott tried to get Griesel this past offseason. Baylor is a better player, but Griesel certainly outplayed him in the Summit League championship game. I believe he would get playing time on just about every Big Ten team. Ohio State was after him hard. 

Every Big Ten team would gladly take 6th year senior Derrick Walker who knows his role and shot 68% from the field last year. 

I'm not sold on Bandoumel yet, but he did start for SMU. 

Keita and Lloyd would still be on a Power 5 roster if they didn't come to Nebraska. 

Unless Shatel is assuming every one of Creighton's freshman is better than all of our players, I have no idea how he came up with that. I do think Creighton has 4 players that are probably better than all of our players. But Shereef Mitchell's 3 ppg would not translate to being our best player. 

It's also not about the best or most talented player. It's about the right player. That's why Kevon Looney, who's 6'9 220 lbs, can't jump over a phone book and can't shoot or dribble, starts over prototypical NBA big man James Wiseman. Derrick Walker is the type of guy that would start and average 6 and 6 on a championship contending team. 

Edited by millerhusker

Not saying Griesel is as good as Scheierman but he certainly got the better of him in a landslide in the conference championship game to go to the dance.  If only Baylor came here, this would be a lot more interesting season.  If we got him and that Kansas St. kid we really would have had something.  But I digress.  This is Nebrasketball after all. 

Edited by royalfan

4 hours ago, royalfan said:

Not saying Griesel is as good as Scheierman but he certainly got the better of him in a landslide in the conference championship game to go to the dance.  If only Baylor came here, this would be a lot more interesting season.  If we got him and that Kansas St. kid we really would have had something.  But I digress.  This is Nebrasketball after all. 

Even just Scheierman and things are pretty different.

• 3 weeks later...

*If you are under the impression that Keisei doesn't deserve a spot on this team, stop reading here*

Don't know about a "star" so to speak, but my goodness has he been a nice bright spot.  Actually, I have loved how Fred has handled him this year.  Against UNO, he wasn't firing and Fred went a different direction.  

He's doing exactly what we need him to do though.  Happy with him so far this year.

11.1 PPG

1.3 RPG

54.5 FG%

42.9 3FG %

1 TO/Gm

18 Min/Gm

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

*If you are under the impression that Keisei doesn't deserve a spot on this team, stop reading here*

Don't know about a "star" so to speak, but my goodness has he been a nice bright spot.  Actually, I have loved how Fred has handled him this year.  Against UNO, he wasn't firing and Fred went a different direction.  

He's doing exactly what we need him to do though.  Happy with him so far this year.

11.1 PPG

1.3 RPG

54.5 FG%

42.9 3FG %

1 TO/Gm

18 Min/Gm

Tootin' my horn here. He was my choice 😁

* Clarification I deemed  "star" a relative term with this roster 😉

Edited by cornfed24-7

2 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

‘Where’d you see that? Great news if Walker is back

That’s who I think the Starters SHOULD be once Walker is back. It’s time we play the “hand we’re dealt” so to speak. Go with our Big Lineup & try to put as many athletes on the floor as we can at the same time. What we might lack in outside shooting they can hopefully make up for with Defense, Hustle Plays, & Put Backs. 

Edited by Handy Johnson

• 3 months later...