What do you suppose Hoiberg's (unwritten) metric was?

Norm Peterson

59 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

Stay out of the 1st day of the B1G tournament

- OR - 

Finish at 0.500 record or better

- OR - 

Look like a competent & competitive team every night, even if the final record is a bit below 0.500

You will most likely get 7 to 10 wins and a team that looks like they forgot how to play basketball most nights.

On 10/20/2022 at 8:26 AM, cornfed24-7 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/heat-on-hoiberg-after-3-straight-20-loss-seasons-at-nebraska/2022/10/19/e987a0ac-4fd0-11ed-ada8-04e6e6bf8b19_story.html

"The 24 wins under Hoiberg are fewest among Power Five teams the last three years and the Huskers have three straight 20-loss records after never having had any in 123 previous seasons. They also have five losses in home “buy” games, the ones where a low- or mid-major opponent is supposed to take a lopsided beating and leave with a paycheck."

Its crazy to me that another losing season and Hoiberg keeps his job. 

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't want Fred to be fired :( I'm fine giving him another year if the effort is better this season

10 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't want Fred to be fired :( I'm fine giving him another year if the effort is better this season

I don't want Fred fired either, but reality is his teams the past 3 years have lost at a historic rate at a place that lost a lot before he got here.

At least 95% of D-1 head coaches  -- and a huge chunk of D-1 assistants getting their first head coaching job -- could've easily duplicated what he did here the past 3 years in the W-L column. And that's ultimately what counts.

It's well past time to win at even a moderate rate, but I'd be stunned if this group can do it. Hopefully the new assistants have a huge influence.

Regardless of the metrics, if it doesn't improve quite a bit this year, it's clearly time to give someone else a shot. Just not sure how dedicated Fred is anymore to the grind that's required.

9 hours ago, throwback said:

I don't want Fred fired either, but reality is his teams the past 3 years have lost at a historic rate at a place that lost a lot before he got here.

At least 95% of D-1 head coaches  -- and a huge chunk of D-1 assistants getting their first head coaching job -- could've easily duplicated what he did here the past 3 years in the W-L column. And that's ultimately what counts.

It's well past time to win at even a moderate rate, but I'd be stunned if this group can do it. Hopefully the new assistants have a huge influence.

Regardless of the metrics, if it doesn't improve quite a bit this year, it's clearly time to give someone else a shot. Just not sure how dedicated Fred is anymore to the grind that's required.

I guess Blaise is the wild card for me. It's year 4 so I know better to buy into the hype but say he's all he's hyped up to be + Walker whos solid + Welch's who's solid + Grisel who's solid I guess I could see a way to .500 but then the problem is you lose 2 of those guys after this year so really where are you at as a program?

On 10/22/2022 at 11:45 AM, throwback said:

I promise you this: I could have easily -- EASILY -- led Nebraska to last place finishes in conference the last three years and I would have been willing to do it for HALF of what they paid Fred Hoiberg.

1 minute ago, 49r said:

To be fair, @Norm Peterson, they didn't finish in last place last year so...

True, but the difference between last place and where they finished isn't significant enough to justify paying someone else double what I would take to obtain basically the same results.

I feel I've been discriminated against. What, because MY grand dad was a farmer and not the 2nd worst coach in Husker hoops history? That makes him better? Psh. Not buyin' it.

On 10/19/2022 at 7:38 PM, nustudent said:

Sone stuff that might not be easily measurable:

-Be a ‘tougher’ team.  As in better defensively and on the glass. 
-Show a more sustainable/developmental recruiting plan.  
-Bud a roster that shows some development for the future and not another total restart.  

I don’t think Fred can go 10-22 and survive.   I also don’t think he has to finish above .500.   I can see him coming back with a 15-17 type record if some other intangibles are looking improved. 

This 

On 10/20/2022 at 1:36 PM, Cowboy Kermit said:

But in all seriousness the few quotes Trev gave about basketball last year involved playing style and wanting to see a team Nebraska fans can root for stuck out, and that’s what Fred and Co. have emphasized x10000 this off-season. b83f41d3d43d55126ab9f4ead25a25ae.jpg

Good find. Now thinking about that quote I want to point out this stretch of games. These games are incredibly important.

HCFH needs to be competitive in most of these games.

When my source told me HCFH would be gone before Christmas, this stretch of games stuck out to me.

How likely are we to win any of those games, or be competitive? How about a 20+pt loss to the Omaha team? What do you think the mood would be like for the fan base if we where to go 0-8 knowing that we would still have a the majority of our BIG games yet to play. A conference where we are projected to finish dead last. Think there will be much heat on TA?

Note that there is a 7 day break between when we play Purdue then KSU.

image.png

25 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Good find. Now thinking about that quote I want to point out this stretch of games. These games are incredibly important.

When my source told me HCFH would be gone before Christmas, this stretch of games stuck out to me.

How likely are we to win any of those games, or be competitive? How about a 20+pt loss to the Omaha team? What do you think the mood would be like for the fan base if we where to go 0-8 knowing that we would still have a the majority of our BIG games yet to play. A conference where we are projected to finish dead last. Think there will be much heat on TA?

image.png

The TBA game will be one of Fla St, Ol Miss, Stanford and most likely Siena if we drop the first 2.

4 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

image.png

Nobody should expect them to be competitive with Creighton this year so take that one out of the equation. They're on another level compared to all the other games on this list. 

Win at least one game in Florida.

Beat BC

Don't Embarrass Yourselves against IU and Purdue (Purdue isn't a juggernaut, going to IU will be tough)

Beat or lose close to K-State

1 hour ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Nobody should expect them to be competitive with Creighton this year so take that one out of the equation. They're on another level compared to all the other games on this list. 

Beat BC

Don't Embarrass Yourselves against IU and Purdue (Purdue isn't a juggernaut, going to IU will be tough)

The Florida tournament is very important to come out of that with at least 1 win.

I'd fell better about this season if this group had been able to play together for at least 1 season.

This just all falls like rinse and repeat from last season.

Except this season we have no real scoring threat and once again we have a 2 guard playing bult minutes as a pg.

Edited to Add:

That Omaha game is very important for us to be competitive.

Last 2 trips to Omaha we have lost by 24 and 19. Many in the AD and boosters are tired of losing this game year after year. 

Edited by Ron Mexico

3 hours ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Beat BC

At this level, I expect to be competitive against everyone.  Including the blue turds.  This is a rivalry game.  This is a Big 10 team.  This is a coach in year 4.  We shouldn’t EXPECT blowout losses and to “hopefully” win a few.

I'm sick and tired of hearin' about what a great basketball team the Bluejays have.

Screw 'em! — Herb Brooks