What do you suppose Hoiberg's (unwritten) metric was?

Norm Peterson

USA Today apparently won a thing under the Freedom of Information Act to get the metrics of what Scott Frost needed to do to get back his $5 million/year salary AND a 1-year extension. Apparently, it was put in writing when his contract was redrafted. HOWEVER, Fred Hoiberg's metrics were not put in writing, so USA Today didn't get those.

Frost's metrics were that he had to show improvement, win six games, and get to a bowl game. That seems like a very modest objective for him to have to achieve in year 5.

What's your best guess on what Hoiberg would need to do? If his metrics had been reduced to writing, what do you supposed they would have been?

After ruling, Huskers AD publicizes metrics in Scott Frost contract (espn.com)

56 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

USA Today apparently won a thing under the Freedom of Information Act to get the metrics of what Scott Frost needed to do to get back his $5 million/year salary AND a 1-year extension. Apparently, it was put in writing when his contract was redrafted. HOWEVER, Fred Hoiberg's metrics were not put in writing, so USA Today didn't get those.

Frost's metrics were that he had to show improvement, win six games, and get to a bowl game. That seems like a very modest objective for him to have to achieve in year 5.

What's your best guess on what Hoiberg would need to do? If his metrics had been reduced to writing, what do you supposed they would have been?

After ruling, Huskers AD publicizes metrics in Scott Frost contract (espn.com)

.500 season minimum 

Hard to say given the program was as close to a shipwreck as you can get.  

I am guessing part of it is winning X number of games.  I am guessing post-season of some sort.  I am also guessing that some intangible improvement with effort.

If I were king for a day it would be NCAA tournament.  But perhaps that would be totally unrealistic. 🤔 

Sone stuff that might not be easily measurable:

-Be a ‘tougher’ team.  As in better defensively and on the glass. 
-Show a more sustainable/developmental recruiting plan.  
-Bud a roster that shows some development for the future and not another total restart.  

I don’t think Fred can go 10-22 and survive.   I also don’t think he has to finish above .500.   I can see him coming back with a 15-17 type record if some other intangibles are looking improved. 

43 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Given that Frost's metric to get his contract back to the previous level was to make the postseason, I'd assume Frost had the same metric.

I'd also assume that Hoiberg doesn't need to hit that metric to get another year.

That's why the decision to fire him after the Ga Southern more understandable.  Losing to GA Southern is unacceptable.   Gives you a reason to cut ties.  Not firing him runs you the risk of Frost getting to 6 wins.  That could cost you 9 million (not sure on how many years he had left.  I thought 4.  Plus his extra year of 5 million).  The metrics did not mean Frost gets to keep his job.  It just means we are on the hook for a bigger buyout if he gets to that metric.  

Same goes for Hoiberg.  Only, his metric might be a postseason berth.  We could miss out, but show improvement to keep Hoiberg.  Just because he misses the metric doesn't mean he is automatically fired.

To the original ? I say it is make the postseason.  NIT or NCAA.

It would appear that Scott's demise had some extenuating circumstances which were known in addition to the published contract content. Fred does not have these additional factors to consider. This is pure speculation, but that is what message boards are for. A more competitive team on the court with a legitimate chance for a post season invitation should suffice for Hoiberg this year. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/heat-on-hoiberg-after-3-straight-20-loss-seasons-at-nebraska/2022/10/19/e987a0ac-4fd0-11ed-ada8-04e6e6bf8b19_story.html

"The 24 wins under Hoiberg are fewest among Power Five teams the last three years and the Huskers have three straight 20-loss records after never having had any in 123 previous seasons. They also have five losses in home “buy” games, the ones where a low- or mid-major opponent is supposed to take a lopsided beating and leave with a paycheck."

Its crazy to me that another losing season and Hoiberg keeps his job. 

I think, at a minimum, he should have to get a post-season invite and be top 10 in the Big Ten. And that's not asking a lot.

Unless we're just giving him a pass on the first three seasons and hitting a reset button that says, for some reason, we believe in you and think you'll get it done here so we'll give you more leeway than we've given any prior coaching staff and let you start over in year 4.

But, to say you'll keep him even if he doesn't produce a single winning record in his first four years here, provided you get close to a break-even record this time and the team shows improvement, would be an unacceptably low bar in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

three straight 20-loss records after never having had any in 123 previous seasons

I mean, that right there is more than cause enough to get fired IMO.  The only reason he's even still around is simply because of the horrible malfeasance on Bill Moos' part in writing a ridiculous contract.

Can anyone explain to me WHY people went so hard on this? Who the F cares? It seems to me like there's something else going on here (potentially from Frost's camp? Lawsuit coming?) that we don't know about. 

As far has Hoiberg's go - It's near .500 and a vague, general sense that the team is playing they're hardest, defending, and players are engaged/seem to be improving. That's why it's not written down. Just wants to see progress. TA has zero, 0.0% interest in firing Fred Hoiberg. Desperately wants to see him succeed. 

14 hours ago, nustudent said:

Sone stuff that might not be easily measurable:

-Be a ‘tougher’ team.  As in better defensively and on the glass. 
-Show a more sustainable/developmental recruiting plan.  
-Bud a roster that shows some development for the future and not another total restart.  

I don’t think Fred can go 10-22 and survive.   I also don’t think he has to finish above .500.   I can see him coming back with a 15-17 type record if some other intangibles are looking improved. 

Effectively 100% correct. Shoulda read the thread before I posted. 

16 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Can anyone explain to me WHY people went so hard on this? Who the F cares? It seems to me like there's something else going on here (potentially from Frost's camp? Lawsuit coming?) that we don't know about. 

As far has Hoiberg's go - It's near .500 and a vague, general sense that the team is playing they're hardest, defending, and players are engaged/seem to be improving. That's why it's not written down. Just wants to see progress. TA has zero, 0.0% interest in firing Fred Hoiberg. Desperately wants to see him succeed. 

I don't think it is anything nefarious.  Or other legal issue outside of just the AD not complying with the FOIA request.  

Not complying with the request is the bigger issue for the publications than the issue itself.   Cover-up is worse than the crime type deal.   And I don't believe either side is in the wrong.

13 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I think USA Today went all in right after the Frost firing to get these public record metrics. Little did they know that literally no one cares among the fan base that Frost got fired, so the metrics and story aren't near the click bait they thought it would be. From the outside looking in, you have a native son getting fired 3 games in. For us, we all expected it anyway.

And in regards to Hoiberg's metrics, no one cares regardless. I'm surprised they even looked into those in the first place. They just need to pass the eye ball test, show progress, and get close to .500 is what I'm assuming Trev is looking for.