2022-2023 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

I know they have a prettier record than us, but can anyone here say that Wake Forest (17-9) has a clearly better resume than us? They are on Joe Lunardi's next 4 out list. Their resume...

Q1: 1-6 Q2: 4-1 Q3: 4-2 Q4: 8-0

Best wins: Home vs Duke, home vs UNC

Bad losses: Neutral bs Loyola Marymount, Neutral vs LSU

9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think some folks might be confused that the people complaining about NET rankings don't understand how NET rankings are computed. Let me just say I don't care HOW the rankings are computed; I only care that the results make sense. And it doesn't make sense for an Ohio State team that is 2-10 in Quad 1 games, and has a Quad 4 loss, and lost to us head-to-head, and has fewer conference wins than us is ranked 35 spots ahead of us in the NET rankings.

I don't care how they tabulate their rankings. I'm saying those tabulations require some tweaking to avoid some of these absurd results.

I think some folks confusion and frustration comes from the fact that using quads to decipher NET rankings does not take MOV into account, while the NET itself does.  This is not friendly for us.  

8 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Our big win bumped us all the way up to…. 91… lol

It is so much determined by how much you win or lose by over the course of a season.  It is very hard to change it a lot at once.  Have to hope other things are helping decide things and if we keep winning it might.  

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

OSU remains at 64.  That one is so weird.

Shows that the committee can't use NET as an end-all, be-all & won't be the primary resource they use, thankfully. It is merely 1 tool in a toolbag. I just hope NU can keep rollin' with it and stacking dubs. It will take a rather long win streak, I'm afraid. Perhaps sweeping through the BTT is the best way to 'make it' in 2023. GBR

Edited by AuroranHusker

30 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Shows that the committee can't use NET as an end-all, be-all & won't be the primary resource they use, thankfully. It is merely 1 tool in a toolbag. I just hope NU can keep rollin' with it and stacking dubs. It will take a rather long win streak, I'm afraid. Perhaps sweeping through the BTT is the best way to 'make it' in 2023. GBR

This was KP.  NET probably won’t be out until tomorrow morning.

Net: 92

Q1: 3-11, Q2: 3-3, Q3: 1-0, Q4: 7-0

Our Company 90-94

Furman, Hofstra, Us, Indiana State, BYU

Notables

#68- Ohio State

#76- Wisconsin

Our quad games left- 4, 2, 1

Since the NET is awful, we probably need to stick it to Minny as much as we can next week.  If we’re up by 20, we need to go for 30 and 40.  Don’t call off the dogs.  Starters in until the final whistle.  Since that’s what the NCAA wants.

One interesting one to watch is Nebraska. The Cornhuskers are now 14-14 and 7-10 in the Big Ten after a 3-game winning streak. If Fred Hoiberg's squad can find a way to take down Minnesota and Michigan St. in their next two games they'd find a spot in this bracket. 

https://nitbracketology.blogspot.com/2023/02/feb-19-nit-bracketology.html

On 2/16/2023 at 9:14 PM, hhcmatt said:

The NET rankings aren't based on quadrant wins and loses, they're based on adjusted net efficiency. 

I know. I'm pointing out how flawed it is as a metric that is used to determine which teams get into the NCAA and their potential seedings. We are being punished because we got blown out in a lot of games during a time period while we where adjusting to losing 1 starter and then another for the season.

Edited by Ron Mexico

16 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

What's the excuse gonna be when we finish 4th place this time? Big 10 certainly isn't weak

Screenshot_20230220-154020_Chrome.jpg

I honestly think if Nebraska is seriously in contention for a spot in the tournament (18 or 19 wins), this is the year they get in.  The Keisei factor of being able to bring a million eyeballs in Japan to the table (that otherwise wouldn't watch) will get the attention of the NCAA and their TV partners. The backroom politics could actually work in our favor for once if only we can win a few more games. 

Edited by HuscurAdam

5 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

I honestly think if Nebraska is seriously in contention for a spot in the tournament (18 or 19 wins), this is the year they get in.  The Keisei factor of being able to bring a million eyeballs in Japan to the table (that otherwise wouldn't watch) will get the attention of the NCAA and their TV partners. The backroom politics could actually work in our favor for once if only we can win a few more games. 

I’ve been thinking this as well.  Keisei helping a darling of a story win their first NCAA game could draw a lot of eye balls this year.  We’ve just got to give them a reason.  All starts Saturday.  Win Saturday and your virtually guarantee yourself not to have any bad losses.  Then it’s all about collecting the wins.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:46 PM, MichHusker said:

For the sake of my sanity I have to believe we don't need like 7 more Q1 wins just to be a bubble team. 

Just like the '17-18 season when we where the FIRST team ever from the BIG (or major conference?) to win 20+ games and finish in the top 4 of the conference and not make the NCAA? To protect the "integrity" of their super secret hidden formula they will most certainly keep us out. If they do let us then give us some brutal 1st round match up with a team like Baylor.