2022-2023 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, @49r, just for shits and giggles, can you include North Texas and Wyoming in your weekly updates? I mean, just y'know for comparative purposes as we progress through the season. "Here's how a couple of other random schools just happen to be doing during this same season." That kind of thing.

Ya know, I did something very similar starting in the middle of the 2012-2013 season believe it or not, I kinda had a gut feeling...

...just sayin'.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of change as you can imagine.  All of our conference mates cruised through their opening games winning by 30+ (except for Minnesota who struggled to put Western Michigan away, and us of course).  So it's not surprising to see everyone in the Big Ten stay pretty much where they were while Nebraska and Minnesota both drop.

Oklahoma stays roughly where they were after losing their game, but Florida State drops significantly after their loss last night

So, we've kicked the season off officially but not a whole lot to see here.  With all that said, Here we go!

KenPom rankings as of 11-08-22
=======================

B1G (0-0):
9. Indiana
20. Iowa
22. Michigan
23. Purdue
27. Ohio State
32. Michigan State
33. Illinois
38. Penn State
43. Rutgers
44. Wisconsin
49. Maryland
68. Northwestern
114. Nebraska
120. Minnesota

Non-Conference (1-0):
351. Maine - W
324. Omaha

---Gavitt Games---
37. @St. John's

357. Arkansas Pine-Bluff

---ESPN Events Invitational---
36. Oklahoma
28/46. Memphis/Seton Hall
53/60/87/239. Ole Miss/Stanford/Florida State/Siena

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
80. Boston College

29. @Creighton
73. Kansas State

---Battle In The Vault---
220. Queens University of Charlotte

Edited by 49r

Dropped a spot to 115.  Really not a lot of change, Michigan and Purdue swap spots but everything else is pretty much unchanged.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has noticed but we are currently on a 5 game regular season winning streak.  So we've got that going for us, which is nice.  That's all I've got for today so, Here we go!

KenPom rankings as of 11-11-22
=======================

B1G (0-0):
8. Indiana
20. Iowa
22. Purdue
23. Michigan
27. Ohio State
32. Michigan State
33. Illinois
36. Penn State
39. Rutgers
44. Wisconsin
49. Maryland
67. Northwestern
115. Nebraska
122. Minnesota

Non-Conference (2-0):
352. Maine - W
321. Omaha - W

---Gavitt Games---
37. @St. John's

356. Arkansas Pine-Bluff

---ESPN Events Invitational---
35. Oklahoma
29/43. Memphis/Seton Hall
51/59/85/239. Ole Miss/Stanford/Florida State/Siena

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
80. Boston College

26. @Creighton
73. Kansas State

---Battle In The Vault---
221. Queens University of Charlotte

17 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Thanks! That’s 3 bad losses, but if I remember right, KenPom takes into account size of win/loss too.

There's a lot of factors that goes into KenPom's rankings.  In general though, losing is bad and will hurt your ranking and winning is good and will improve it.

3 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

49r is underselling it. KenPom primarily takes margin into account as opposed to the win-loss result. 

Oh, no doubt MOV is a big factor, but there's other considerations at play too, including the last several years of results for a team.  That is one thing that is kind of "sticky". The Huskers could start off the season 5-0 or 7-0 or something and we'd still be artificially weighed down by our past years' performances whereas a team like, say Wisconsin could have the same kind of start and find themselves in the top 25 or so pretty quickly.

I wonder if there would be some usefulness in giving partial weight to the score differential with 2 minutes to play in addition to final MOV. Seems like final scores frequently look closer or like more of a blowout than the games really were because of scoring in the last couple of minutes. Like when a key player fouls out or when the trailing team starts fouling to stop the clock.

25 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I wonder if there would be some usefulness in giving partial weight to the score differential with 2 minutes to play in addition to final MOV. Seems like final scores frequently look closer or like more of a blowout than the games really were because of scoring in the last couple of minutes. Like when a key player fouls out or when the trailing team starts fouling to stop the clock.

That may be factored in to the "luck" metric, not sure.

But in the end it is probably about a wash.