So Many Questions

NUdiehard

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

I think it dates back to the incident Cipsucks remembers in the old thread I revived (by mistake) today.

Pro tip for ya @jimmykc

You can go back to that post and click on the three little dots in the upper right corner and select "Delete" and it will un-revive that thread.  As long as no one else posts in it before you delete your post.

We are going to be so much better than most people here think.  Simply trying very hard and having guys that have fire taking the defensive end of the court seriously will help so much.  It is also impossible to run when getting the ball out of the hoop unless you are Per Stumer.  It obviously won't be an offensively gifted bunch, but Fred can coach offense and generate shots.  We will get open shots.  I am looking forward to watching us play as good of defense as we have seen since Craig Smith left.  

25 minutes ago, royalfan said:

We are going to be so much better than most people here think.  Simply trying very hard and having guys that have fire taking the defensive end of the court seriously will help so much.  

I am in this camp until proven otherwise.  I believe jettisoning Matt A is equivalent to getting rid of Frost and Chinander.  Getting the kids the right leadership from the coaches will get everyone moving in the right direction as a TEAM.  And if certain kids don’t get with the program the coaches should be able to not play them, which I heard was a bit of an issue with Matt A as well.  

We shall see but I am a huge believer that coaching matters a ton.  That’s why they are paid millions of dollars to do it.  

38 minutes ago, royalfan said:

We are going to be so much better than most people here think.  Simply trying very hard and having guys that have fire taking the defensive end of the court seriously will help so much.  It is also impossible to run when getting the ball out of the hoop unless you are Per Stumer.  It obviously won't be an offensively gifted bunch, but Fred can coach offense and generate shots.  We will get open shots.  I am looking forward to watching us play as good of defense as we have seen since Craig Smith left.  

Gawd I 🙏 pray that you are correct 

4 hours ago, busticket said:

I am in this camp until proven otherwise.  I believe jettisoning Matt A is equivalent to getting rid of Frost and Chinander.  Getting the kids the right leadership from the coaches will get everyone moving in the right direction as a TEAM.  And if certain kids don’t get with the program the coaches should be able to not play them, which I heard was a bit of an issue with Matt A as well.  

We shall see but I am a huge believer that coaching matters a ton.  That’s why they are paid millions of dollars to do it.  

See, this confuses me.  Matt was/is a friend of Fred's and was employed by Fred.  Fred is the ultimate decision maker and holds accountability/responsibility for HIS team.  Correct?  We are blaming Matt for something that the leader of the team is ultimately responsible for.  Correct?

That said, I do buy into the theory of addition by subtraction.  By no means this should fall on Matt's shoulders.  The man that ultimately sets the recruiting strategy is the head coach.  I am hoping that egos have been decreased and hustle, defense and team first attitude increases.

Edited by Huskerpapa

On 9/30/2022 at 10:47 AM, hhcmatt said:

You seem to be giving Wilhelm credit here for being a more willing 3pt shooter. Another way to phrase that might be you aren't giving Gary enough credit for having better  shot selection based on his skillset.  If you look at WB's limited outside shooting and FT numbers, they're bad.  Why would defenders sag off of Gary and not WB?

To me the pairing of Gary/Walker and WB/Keita makes the most sense because Walker and WB have proven they can pass the ball. 

I agree Wilhelm has not proven he is a reliable 3-point shooter in his very limited playing time.  I am going more off of what Fred says and seems to think about Wilhelm as a shooter.  Wilhelm competed in the 3-point contest both last year and this year (and for what little it is worth he did make 13, which was 3 more than Bando, who will most likely be our most prolific 3-point shooter this year).  Fred has repeatedly talked about Wilhelm's ability to step out and shoot the ball, and in a recent interview, when he talked about players he wants to shoot when they are open, he mentioned Wilhelm along with guys like Wilcher and Keisei.  I just get the strong sense that Fred thinks of Wilhelm as a stretch player, and we know he likes players that can shoot and spread the floor.

With that said, I agree with your thought that Wilhelm is a better pair with Keita since he is a better passer, so maybe that is the tradeoff.  We will see.

On 9/30/2022 at 8:08 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm not worrying about guarding the PG, we can switch everything with our size. Might occasionally get caught in a mismatch with Walker's man, but that's a small price to pay for cutting off drives and giving up open 3s. We have a starting group that can play bully ball, like Houston or UConn, but is it going to? That's my first question. 

If we continue to push pace and shoot 3s, this team is not going to be good. Just not enough offensive talent. At some point we'll need somebody to put the ball in the basket. Bando seems like the best option at this point, but keep in mind he was the 4th scorer on a team that won 1 game in the NIT. His highlights show mainly spot up jumpers, with occasional drives after somebody else got the defense out of position. And for all the offseason kumbaya talk, how together will this team be when 3 or 4 guys are competing to be "the man." That's my second question. 

As for the Koolaid, I don't think the talk of a bubble team is crazy at all. I see a group that Gregg Marshall could turn into a bubble team. But can Fred to it? That's my third question.

RoyalFan just made an excellent point in another thread.  It is very difficult to push the tempo in transition when you are a poor defensive team because you are always taking the ball out of the hoop.  If this team's strength is defense, and if they can consistently get stops, then why not push the pace and try to get some easy buckets?  Especially considering they are offensively challenged. Getting quick easy points in transition could offset their difficulty in getting points in the half-court. 

59 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

See, this confuses me.  Matt was/is a friend of Fred's and was employeed by Fred.  Fred is the ultimate decision maker and holds accountability/responsibility for HIS team.  Correct?  We are blaming Matt for something that the leader of the team is ultimately responsible for.  Correct?

That said, I do buy into the theory of addition by subtraction.  By no means this should fall on Matt's shoulders.  The man that ultimately sets the recruiting strategy is the head coach.  I am hoping that egos have been decreased and hustle, defense and team first attitude increases.

If we're being real we're hoping that Matt was the problem and it isn't Hoiberg because he's universally likable and has a $11 mil buyout.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

See, this confuses me.  Matt was/is a friend of Fred's and was employeed by Fred.  Fred is the ultimate decision maker and holds accountability/responsibility for HIS team.  Correct?  We are blaming Matt for something that the leader of the team is ultimately responsible for.  Correct?

Ultimately Fred is responsible for everyone and everything that happens in his program.  But if someone wants to cut him some slack (as I do), it could be viewed as follows:  Fred should get a bit of a break on the Matt A situation because Matt A was with Fred at Iowa St. and it worked out splendidly, so how could he know that it would be a disaster here--nonetheless, after seeing the problem, he addressed it by letting him go and bringing in new assistants and a new type of player/attitude.

I understand many don't see it this way and feel Fred has burned up all his goodwill and now it is 100% prove it with wins or move on.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm confused. So is it Matt's fault that we're losing? Or Fred's? Because either way we're losing.

Fred is supposed to be in charge so ultimately it is on Fred.  Matt may have had a big hand in the problem but the tab is Fred’s.  He should not have allowed the crap going on because he is the head coach.  I have no idea why he let it get that bad…I just hope all that nonsense is in the rear view mirror.  

I like Fred but it doesn’t reflect well on his leadership at all.  All I can do is hope Matt being gone and the new assistants and kids in the program get us going in the right direction.  Because honestly, I want to enjoy this upcoming season as long as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thinking about this today.

1. To what degree is style-of-play going to be influenced by personnel?  We have people pointing out maybe low scoring games might be in our best interest. They may be right.

2. Who's going to get the buckets? CJ is enough of a sharpshooter to spread the floor but it's always nice to have a guy who can attack the glass and draw in the defenders so that a guy like CJ can find an open look. Do we have a guy who can drive effectively? Where are the points going to come from?

3. So, it looks like Sam will run point. Derrick made his living on the P&R. How good is Sam at setting up a guy like Derrick for the P&R? Because Derrick isn't creating his own shots.

4. Will we have an identity? If so, what?

5. Will we finally have a group of players more concerned with team than individual success?

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Just thinking about this today.

1. To what degree is style-of-play going to be influenced by personnel?  We have people pointing out maybe low scoring games might be in our best interest. They may be right.

A lot of this is also directed by the coaches.  There are stubborn coaches who are going to run their system, come hell or high water.  That is successful IF you recruit your type of player (see Iowa, Creighton, Purdue).  Other coaches adjust their system to fit the players.  We seem to fit that category.

2. Who's going to get the buckets? CJ is enough of a sharpshooter to spread the floor but it's always nice to have a guy who can attack the glass and draw in the defenders so that a guy like CJ can find an open look. Do we have a guy who can drive effectively? Where are the points going to come from?

I think both our guards have this ability.  We will have to see if our freshmen have that skill set.

3. So, it looks like Sam will run point. Derrick made his living on the P&R. How good is Sam at setting up a guy like Derrick for the P&R? Because Derrick isn't creating his own shots.

I don't know if we can operate the offense the same as last year.  I am hearing stuff like we are moving the ball better, we are making the extra passes, etc.  Seems like we will perhaps see less isolation type plays.  Then again, who really knows?

4. Will we have an identity? If so, what?

I hope is has a defense oriented, tough as a $2 steak, junk yard dog identity and reputation.   

5. Will we finally have a group of players more concerned with team than individual success?

We better...and again, the team and coaches are saying the right things.  Will words become action?