NEW 2023 Way to early TOP 25

redsteve

Yep, it's way early but here is ESPN's new way to early Top 25

Guess who's in the Top 25  ?

Nebraska and Creighton are in it. Huskers are 22, Creighton is 21       Iowa no, 6

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34086750/women-college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-2022-23

Edited by redsteve

• redsteve changed the title to NEW 2023 Way to early TOP 25
  • 2 weeks later...

in the final ESPN "Way-to-Early Top 25", huskers move up one spot to #21

"The Cornhuskers suffered a big blow late last month when senior Sam Haiby suffered a leg injury that will force her to miss the season, but coach Amy Williams has amassed enough talent to still be competitive in the Big Ten and earn a second straight NCAA tournament berth. Nebraska's top three scorers -- guard Jazz Shelley (13.1 PPG), center Alexis Markowski(12.8 PPG) and forward Isabelle Bourne (11.1 PPG) -- all return. They are joined by South Dakota transfer Maddie Krull, who could instantly be one of the Big Ten's top perimeter defenders, and 6-5 Maggie Mendelson, a top-35 basketball recruit and the country's No. 2 incoming freshmen in volleyball."

also, charlie creme's bracketology has #6 Huskers playing #11 usd.

i could end up being wrong, but, the only way i see USD getting to the dance is winning the summit league tourney. their schedule isn't one that is most likely to get them the net rating needed for an at-large berth. even if they have pretty good success.

5 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

in the final ESPN "Way-to-Early Top 25", huskers move up one spot to #21

"The Cornhuskers suffered a big blow late last month when senior Sam Haiby suffered a leg injury that will force her to miss the season, but coach Amy Williams has amassed enough talent to still be competitive in the Big Ten and earn a second straight NCAA tournament berth. Nebraska's top three scorers -- guard Jazz Shelley (13.1 PPG), center Alexis Markowski(12.8 PPG) and forward Isabelle Bourne (11.1 PPG) -- all return. They are joined by South Dakota transfer Maddie Krull, who could instantly be one of the Big Ten's top perimeter defenders, and 6-5 Maggie Mendelson, a top-35 basketball recruit and the country's No. 2 incoming freshmen in volleyball."

It's way to early, but  yes, Maddie may be a "player" this year, helping with the guard defensive perimeter (as well as Hake) Hake can be a three shooter looking at her HS videos.  And there's some others already on the guard bench that need playing time.

We'll be a bit different without Sam, but have some real talent to fill in for sure. Those 14 or so points/pg must be made up somehow or way. But even without Sam we're probably deeper this coming year.  When the B1G starts with Mendelson on board we'll be even deeper, especally in the paint.

1 hour ago, Fastbreaker said:
1 hour ago, Fastbreaker said:

Neither Stewart nor Bourne are proficient in the paint.

From what I have seen Stewart has a nice 10 to 15 ft jump shot and Bourne has a great drop step move to the hoop.  Probably will still use Coley there as well.

Probably semantics....

Maybe wasn't clear enough....Depth to me means more players (at a position) that have skills/experience, some starters, some subs.  ('Depth" doesn't mean they all are all "All B1G 10" caliber. )

At 6-5 Mendelson has national and  international experience, will add depth in the paint position (no matter necessarily who else plays in the post) ....and in the overall  picture, she will ad depth to the squad.

I've seen her play basketball.....you all well see this winter....she will help this team. More agile than 80% of 6-5 basketball players you'll see.

If as you say we  may be thin in the paint, wouldn't a skilled post player (and I think she's more skilled than only in the post)....add to depth at that position ?

Markowski was a freshman last year and was "B1G 10 freshman of the year," and she wasn't a top 50 nationally player out of HS. Fouled a lot because of her aggressiveness, and inexperience.. I'll take that any day.  As the season went on her fouling went down, as she got more experience at this level. Next season, expect her to be improved in all areas.

All the other B1G coaches seemed to think in a like manner. 

Mendelson was top 10 nationally at volleyball...AND top 35 or so,  in basketball.  She is going to add depth to the inside ...so it follows she adds to the overall squad also.

Edited by redsteve

No big deal...The paint is the lane (painted lines) from the free throw line to the end line of the court, and 12' wide space (stripe to stripe)..NCAA

When  someone shoots a free throw, by rule, you can't be in the lane, or paint.

On many courts the lane is actually painted a different color than the rest of the court itself....so it has now been generically (so to speak) called the "paint". 

PBA's lane has been red at times. Iowa's lane is black, etc etc  etc

yes, will be interesting to see how long it takes to get her "basketball" legs under her. i just get the feeling she might make more of an impact on the defensive side of the court. at least, this season.

i only saw a local news video of highlights from her championship game (i believe), so, didn't show much of Maggie. that's all i have seen. 

going to be interesting to see how coach handles her.

Maggie's vb game is starting to come around now...she was good, but, is playing better now. unless someone pulls the upset, don't expect she will be joining the squad till latter part of December.

I think in the 20s is a good place for us to start. Yes loosing Sam will hurt at some key moments but I feel we have more then enough talent to make up for the loss. I also agree we are thin at 4-5. Certainly once Mendelson joins the team ( hopefully after picking up some hardware in Omaha) I do think will be a great addition but I would have loved to see us picked up one from the portal. That said we just need to play within our selves and we should have another great year. Expect both Allison and Alexis to take a good jump this year. Jaz will be our floor general that makes this team so much better. 

52 minutes ago, HUD said:

If Kendall Coley and Kendall Moriarty can both make a big jump in support off the bench that will be a real plus for this team.  Both have been somewhat limited in minutes in the past.

Agree HUD.  Think they will add a lot indeed. Both have had time to "see" the college game speed and toughness. Both players improved last year and make us even deeper than last year.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:42 AM, Fastbreaker said:

I find the comments on paint depth interesting.  Outside Kate Cain has anyone ever played in the paint, for any amount of time and lets be realistic she avoided contact as much as possible, seriously she only got to the free throw line once a game on average.  Miss Amy likes 6-2 and above hanging out at the three point line offensively and defensively.  If we're in the paint it usually only cause Sam or someone else drove into the lane, so in that sense 1 person playing in the paint would be increased depth.