2022-23 Pressers

hhcmatt

A lot of good things said...defense, aggressive, unity, unselfish, physical, energy, rebounding, and so forth.

Now, if the words translates into action.

Two very key words...ball movement. (Please make this a reality)

Please, do not overreact to what occurs on Friday.

Edited by Huskerpapa

33 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

A lot of good things said...defense, aggressive, unity, unselfish, physical, energy, rebounding, and so forth.

I liked that Bandoumel dude, what an upbeat guy.

28 minutes ago, mkroll12345 said:

Obviously, there is a need to see it before I believe it, but I appreciate the talking points that seem to be points of emphasis this offseason, and if they translate over to game time this will be a much more fun / easier team to watch this year.

Agree, they said everything I would have hoped to hear and then some. Hope what we see matches what was said because I really want Fred to be successful here.

20 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

You mean like last year right after the Colorado game? 

1 hour ago, Nighthawk said:

You mean like last year right after the Colorado game? 

I'm guilty - I was trying to figure out whether we'd be a 3 or 4 seed for the NCAA tournament by the time we hit the 10-minute mark in the second half of the Colorado game. 

This year, I'm going to have way more self-control. I promise to wait until the last under-4 timeout in the Colorado game before I over-estimate our NCAA seed.

I like Fred’s press conferences.  Even though record-wise he has been very similar to Frost, he is night and day different as a coach.  He comes across as very knowledgeable and down to earth, talks about how the kids are doing with their injuries, and he talks about what they are trying to accomplish that is easy for the casual fan to understand.

Like many of you, I am sipping on the look-aid.  I really like our staff and player changes.  I think we will be pleasantly surprised with how this team does.  Since the schedule is pretty tough I am not sure what that means record wise.  I think before I said around 15 wins.  I’ll stick with that for now.  We might sneak in 20 wins if we accepted a CBI or CIT bid.  

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Bro...

lol…i know but just hear me out.  I am pretty sure you have to be .500 to qualify for the postseason, which will be tough.  IF we somehow pulled it off and accepted a bid to the CIT or CBI, those would be some of the easiest games on our schedule.  It would not be a pretty 20 wins but it counts.  However, power conference teams typically don’t accept bids to those tourneys.  

Not a likely scenario, but McDermott accepted a bid to one of those his first year at Creighton and it helped build momentum.  If this team is gritty and plays hard on defense I would enjoy watching them, even in a second rate postseason tournament.

World-Herald previews the guards

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/position-preview-breaking-down-the-guards-for-nebraska-mens-basketball/article_86a7452b-98c5-5854-9efc-af9a7bc82bf4.html

The guess here is that Griesel and Bandoumel start in the backcourt and Wilcher starts at small forward. 

Bandoumel will handle most of the backup point guard duties, too.

Then I’d guess the bench priority order goes like this: Tominaga, Lloyd, Lawrence, Jacobsen.

Another position will be previewed next week.

• 2 weeks later...

World-Herald's preview of the bigs: https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/position-preview-breaking-down-the-forwards-and-bigs-for-nebraska-mens-basketball/article_9ff62339-c813-57a4-884d-4a9c4614dbdc.html

Put me down for Walker and Breidenbach as the two starters from this group. Both will be empowered as playmakers.
I think one of NU’s big guards occupies the third front court spot, but Gary will likely see considerable time as an off-bench caffeine jolt.

Keita will play plenty, too, particularly during conference play, when his fearless physicality is most valuable.

Dawson earns time if his jumper improves, someone else’s fades, and/or if NU’s perimeter defense isn’t up to par.