Alcohol sales ?

HuskerBB

He was wrong.  Directly from the above article - the staffing at concessions has nothing to do with the university and is at PBA's discretion.  Those games have become minimal revenue events for PBA in terms of concessions, so they didn't attempt to aggressively staff them.  PBA simply wasn't going pay to staff every concession stand, or even half of them, in order to lose money. 

"The city also retains responsibility for choosing what concessions are sold at Husker home games, including all alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, though the university retains the right to provide its input.  The responsibility for setting prices and ensuring adequate staffing to handle Husker fans' hunger and thirst also falls under the city's purview, according to the agreement."

They could've easily staffed it much better had they desired to.  Alcohol profits to the tune of 90% per pour for the city/PBA is going to make a night and day difference in the amount of concession points of sale you see staffed this year.  Papa...not sure why you acted like you knew what you were talking about here, when you didn't.  

6 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Based on my personal experience being at different collegiate games (basketball and football) across multiple conferences, Big Ten included, many of these schools also partner with a local brewery to come up with their own branded beer in a can. So it becomes much faster to serve customers rather than pouring from a tap.

Doesn't the CWS serve both cans and from the tap? I know where we sit on the 3rd base side, there is a station the serves cans.

5 hours ago, HF_ said:

He was wrong.  Directly from the above article - the staffing at concessions has nothing to do with the university and is at PBA's discretion.  Those games have become minimal revenue events for PBA in terms of concessions, so they didn't attempt to aggressively staff them.  PBA simply wasn't going pay to staff every concession stand, or even half of them, in order to lose money. 

"The city also retains responsibility for choosing what concessions are sold at Husker home games, including all alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, though the university retains the right to provide its input.  The responsibility for setting prices and ensuring adequate staffing to handle Husker fans' hunger and thirst also falls under the city's purview, according to the agreement."

They could've easily staffed it much better had they desired to.  Alcohol profits to the tune of 90% per pour for the city/PBA is going to make a night and day difference in the amount of concession points of sale you see staffed this year.  Papa...not sure why you acted like you knew what you were talking about here, when you didn't.  

I am not wrong...sorry.  the arena is struggling hiring staff at certain positions.   Concessions in particular.  If you need a job, I would encourage you to apply.

Pinnacle BANK ARENAJOIN OUR TEAM!PART-TIME POSITIONSSTARTING AT $12/HR Custodians, Operations Crew Members, Concessions Workers, Cooks, Concessions Cooks, Building Security Guards, Dishwashers, Inventory Control Supervisor, Parking Attendants, Building Engineer Worker, Catering Attendance, Event Security, Event Staff.https://bit.ly/PinnacleBankArenaJobsEEO/AAE EmployerPinnacle Bank Arena

Edited by Huskerpapa

Staffing low paying jobs is a problem everywhere the last few years.   Seems like every fast food restaurant you see has a "hiring" sign in the door.   Was just in western Nebraska and saw a Taco Johns that was closed in the middle of the day with a sign on the door that said closed due to lack of staff.    People have continued to move out of those jobs as the should particularly duing covid  and we are not currently replacing that workforce.   Multiple reasons that has happened but it needs to be addressed in some way.   

Of course one option is to pay more than $12 an hour to concession workers.   With the prices that they charge they certainly could afford to pay more and still make a clear profit.  That will obviously be even more true if the open up alcohol sales.   I do expect that will create volume that will force them to find more staff even if it means paying more.   I do agree with HF that the lack of concessions last season was noticable and not a good economic decision.  I know I bought fewer concessons at the games last year simply because it was so hard to find an open stand and when you did the lines were so long.

Edited by HuskerBB