uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 5, vol 26 - Iowa

uneblinstu

- Gesell is as steady a player as there is.  Don't give me that Webster or Fuller is better. 

Quite the statement seeing neither Webster or Fuller has played a collegiate game yet....

I've heard people make it.

And saying they're not better is different, how?  I'm just asking..... :)

It was more the statement that we have no use for Gesell since we've got Webster and such coming in.  

So, exactly what kind of screen is it that Ubel sets at the :05 mark?

The way Nebraska sets screens just bugs me.  They don't even bother trying to hedge the screen because they know Ubel won't really hold it and that he'll roll off of it before the on-ball defender even gets there.

On the bright side, Talley hit the shot, so ... we're all good.   :)

I love Kent's calls. He really is one of the reason I became such a big fan of Nebraska Basketball in the first place.  Back in the day, when I was new to the state I tuned in to hear the local U's BB team because that is what we did at home.  He made it exciting and drew me in.  The years when he wasn't on were just not the same.   I WANT my announcers to be homers.

In my world, they should be  B)

So, exactly what kind of screen is it that Ubel sets at the :05 mark?

The way Nebraska sets screens just bugs me.  They don't even bother trying to hedge the screen because they know Ubel won't really hold it and that he'll roll off of it before the on-ball defender even gets there.

On the bright side, Talley hit the shot, so ... we're all good.   :)

Its called a slip screen. Just saying, that is what's its called.

Not to nitpick the original post, but calling Gesell as steady a player as there is seems like quite a bit of hyperbole. I live in Hawkeye country, and he's having an OK freshman season. I'd love to have him in Lincoln, but he has a long ways to go before he's a steady point guard. There's a reason Iowa has been pretty brutal in close Big Ten games. Their point guard play hasn't been good enough. 

That being said, he's going to be a really nice four-year player for the Hawkeyes.

Great win today and love it that we didn't sub the entire 2nd half.  It's a big dropoff when we have to do go our bench.  If Miles could play the entire game with his starters staying out of foul trouble he would.  For those that think Parker is still a good player, watching him today should end that arguement.  I actually though Almeida would get more minutes today if nothing else than to bang against Woodbury and back him down.  Amazing how we went from playing so bad in the 1st half to much better in 2nd half.  What a turnaround.  No way I expected us to win at half and in fact, I expected people to start leaving early in 2nd half.  What a fun game and great comeback. 

Not to nitpick the original post, but calling Gesell as steady a player as there is seems like quite a bit of hyperbole. I live in Hawkeye country, and he's having an OK freshman season. I'd love to have him in Lincoln, but he has a long ways to go before he's a steady point guard. There's a reason Iowa has been pretty brutal in close Big Ten games. Their point guard play hasn't been good enough. 

That being said, he's going to be a really nice four-year player for the Hawkeyes.

I'll give you that I haven't watched Iowa much this year, but Gesell was pretty damn steady today.  Got his teammates in good position all day and was always under control  In the second half they just didn't make shots.

If we finish .500 overall can we get a CBI bid....

I would think that we'd be NIT bound.

Gotta win three of the next five (4 reg season games, Big Ten Tourney) to do that. 

Well, that's my point.  Of our remaining regular season games we have a couple top 20 RPI teams, a top 40, and Iowa.  Most likely our first round B1G tournament game will be against a top 20 RPI team too.  Like you say, if we get three of the next 5 (in order to guarantee at least a .500 finish) we'd have some reasonably impressive wins on the resume.  I think it'd be enough for an NIT bid.

I think it's legitimately possible for NU to get on a run... it's not likely to occur, but it is possible for the Huskers' shooting & rebounding to improve in these final few ballgames compared to what it's been like for much of the regular season. Hope Miles & crew can find a way to scrape out a W in Mad-Town & go from there... GO BIG RED !!

I love Kent's calls. He really is one of the reason I became such a big fan of Nebraska Basketball in the first place.  Back in the day, when I was new to the state I tuned in to hear the local U's BB team because that is what we did at home.  He made it exciting and drew me in.  The years when he wasn't on were just not the same.   I WANT my announcers to be homers.

In my world, they should be  B)

I agree completely.

I just re-watched the video again.

While he would have needed to get the ball over/around River's guy, Ray was open almost the entire time.  Not sure if Talley didn't seem him, didn't think he could get the ball there, or just figured he was going to take that shot.

I just re-watched the video again.

While he would have needed to get the ball over/around River's guy, Ray was open almost the entire time.  Not sure if Talley didn't seem him, didn't think he could get the ball there, or just figured he was going to take that shot.

I noticed the same thing when I watched it last night. 

My guess is Talley just wanted to put the game in his hands.  Glad he did.

I didn't get to go to the game and I'm not going to be able to make the last game at the Bob either and it isn't making me happy.

That said I did like what I saw from Ray in that highlight video. He didn't just sit at the 3 point line waiting around like I've seen him do in the past. He needs to drive more to keep defenses honest. I play a very similar style but that's because I'm old and lazy.

I hope Nebraska can somehow get into the postseason and get a home game I'd love to watch some more of this team. I'm not ready for basketball to be over yet.