uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 5, vol 26 - Iowa

uneblinstu

I'm glad we got a game like that before they closed the doors on Nebraska basketball at the Devaney Center.  For as bad as that first half was, and it was as bad as I've seen in a long time, the second half was awesome.

- I don't know when the last substitution was in the first half, but Miles didn't substitute anyone in the second.  Talley, Gallegos, Shields, Rivers, Ubel the whole time.  Miles said he doesn't think he'll do that again, but felt it was the best chance for NU to comeback and it worked.

- Iowa came out in the first half playing like they smelled a tourney spot.  They won every loose ball and played like a confident, poised group.  They played like it was their building, and at times, it sounded like it.

- Gesell is as steady a player as there is.  Don't give me that Webster or Fuller is better.  Gesell is a stud, always under control, making good decisions   He disappeared a bit in the second half, but that may have been Iowa missing shots as much as anything.

- Thought we got a glimpse of Marble, too.  That's a good basketball player.  He almost got loose a couple of times, but he couldn't convert down the stretch.

- Thought the defense Talley and Ubel played on Marble where Ubel picked up the charge might have been the best defensive possession for the Huskers of the season.  Just beautiful defense.

- Another big game from Shields.  Gets a little better every game.  Wish he'd be a little more consistent from the line, but he's looking like a gem.

- Talley was dynamite in the second half.  Thought he really carried the team in the second half.  17 or his 18 points came in the 2nd half.

- And that shot he hit!  Wow!  NAILS! 

- 8 second half points for Ubel and a couple of big boy rebounds to go along with the charge late in the game.

- Rivers is proving to be pretty steady as well.

- Felt very confident with the five starters on the floor.

- Anyone else notice that at one point when Iowa was opening up their lead, it went to a time out and the Iowa fans got loud.  Really loud.  The guy on the sound board turned on the song for the break, then turned it up a little more, then a little more, then a little bit more, even until it drowned out the Iowa fans.  That might have been the highlight of the first half for me.

- Say what you want about them moving the game, but if they play this game on Thursday, there's no way they have the atmosphere they had today.  It was really great.  The last 8 minutes of the game were about as good as it gets.

- It was fun to peek up to the pockets of Iowa fans as NU went on their run.  Lots of folded arms and scowls surrounded by Husker fans going bonkers.  That was pretty cool.  

- Huskers need to find a way to get one of these next two on the road if they have any hope of finishing .500 on the season.  

- Hope the Bob is packed for Minnesota.  Would be nice to see that place go out in style.

This post has been promoted to an article

First game I've been to in a few years.  Lots of fun in the second half...but damn, I was about to leave at halftime!

Shields was a man in the second half.  He seems to be the only guy willing and able to take the ball to the hoop with authority. 

Talley is like Taylor Martinez...infuriating and amazing all at the same time.  I wasn't terribly impressed with the final 30 seconds, but as Miles said on the post-game radio show...the way he was scoring he was fine with leaving the ball in Talley's hands at the end. 

The first half was horrible.  As bad as I've seen a team play in some time.  They were entirely uninspired and Iowa beat us up.

Gesell is going to be a player.  That dude killed us in the first half.  It was nice to see him do absolutely nothing in the second half.  He was soundly booed...not exactly sure how I feel about that.

Playing the starters the entire second half turned out to be the right move, but I thought it was going to shoot us in the foot.  With 2:30 left I turned to my wife and said the run was over because we'd get too tired.  Great to be wrong. 

I respect the heck out of M.G.  Quality kid, great high school player, going to be a good player at Iowa.  That said, I have no problem with the kid getting razzed a bit.  He didn't leave the state to play for some great team, he left the state to play for Iowa.  He deserves to be razzed if you ask me.  I think it's a part of sports.  Now calling him names or being disrespectful is a different story...unless it's that Jason Sutherland kid.  :P  

I respect the heck out of M.G.  Quality kid, great high school player, going to be a good player at Iowa.  That said, I have no problem with the kid getting razzed a bit.  He didn't leave the state to play for some great team, he left the state to play for Iowa.  He deserves to be razzed if you ask me.

- Link to Dylan hitting the game winning shot

- Most of the crowd actually stayed until the end.  It was the Iowa fans bolting for the door when Ray went to the line at the end.

- Is this our biggest comeback in conference history?  It has to be our biggest comeback in B1G history

- Yes, we will finish all seasons at THE BOB over .500

- Mike Gesell: Winless for his college career at THE BOB

- We just knocked Iowa out of the NCAA tournament - or they did it to themselves by not closing out yet another game

- Iowa only took 15 free throws today and it was the difference in the game

- Exciting to see the bench guys still engaged and fired up

Dimes said: "- Mike Gesell: Winless for his college career at THE BOB"

Also, he lost his last High School game at THE BOB to Scottsbluff in the Class B State Championships--so, 0-fer the last 2.   

Mike looked pretty good in the first half.  In the second, he (i) tried to guard Dylan but simply wasn't up to the challenge, and (ii) didn't do much on the other end of the court either.

-Loved watching the way that Ubel played tonight, he always gives it everything hes got out there and hes fun to watch

-Talley was just feeling it and when he is feeling it he is tough to stop

-Shields will be something special

-Im glad to see that they actually look like a team, whenever we would go on a run and Iowa would call a timeout everyone, the redshirted guys, the walk ons, and even Benny Parker who would have loved to be on the court, runs out on the court to celebrate with the team

Also is there a rule that you have to be at least .500 to make it to postseason play? Or is it just only likely that we only would if we were .500?

- Gesell is as steady a player as there is.  Don't give me that Webster or Fuller is better. 

Quite the statement seeing neither Webster or Fuller has played a collegiate game yet....

I had the same thought.

Then I watched the highlight of MG leaving his jock on the floor while our 6'4" "point" guard punked him back to IA, and had the same thought again.  I wonder what a true point guard will do to him.  We'll be fine with our 4 star pg.

- Gesell is as steady a player as there is.  Don't give me that Webster or Fuller is better. 

Quite the statement seeing neither Webster or Fuller has played a collegiate game yet....

I've heard people make it.

Make no mistake, Mike Gesell would be an asset on our roster.

It's hard to rationalize this since he could have at least been considerate enough to be an asset on Iowa State's roster if not ours.

If we finish .500 overall can we get a CBI bid....

Don't think we'd accept a CBI bid according what Miles said earlier in the week.

I think Miles will leave that up to the seniors, and I can't see Ubel and Talley not wanting to continue their college careers.

IDK, he said there's never been a Big Ten team to accept a bid to that tournament and his team wouldn't be the first.

Gesell didn't want to play for us, so... I could care less about him.

Don't care if he is better than anybody we have, WE HAVE THEM, NOT HIM.

Maybe he will be the greatest point guard in BIG history and play in the NBA for 20 years and become the all time asst. leader.

I just don't care.  He didn't want to play for us so... bye bye and good luck.

He wasn't ever going to come here, period.

South Sioux City sees themselves as Iowan rather than Nebraskans (except when the football is good)

So end of this debate. :angry: