Offseason

TourneyBound

On 9/16/2022 at 12:00 PM, ConkintheCorner said:

I know the offseason always gets overblown and doesn't really mean much when you are only winning 9-12 games a year...  But I really like what Fred has done with his staff this offseason.  If he can somehow pull in Parker and maybe get Braelon Green.  That would be a pretty crazy recruiting haul considering our record over the last couple years.  That being said I'm just not very optimistic in the upcoming season.  Hard for me to get real excited about it.  Since Trev has fired Frost would he be a little more tentative to fire another coach this year or not?  What's everyone think?  Are you willing to give Fred and this staff an extra year or are ya done with Fred regardless if he isnt over .500?  Just curious everone's thoughts.

welp never mind. Sounds like we are going to go 0-2 on Parker and Green…

I'm not sure what thread this belongs in... and don't think it's worth it's own thread. 

But I am really starting to get the sense that this is "Year 2" for Hoiberg in the eyes of the Administration. Last year was a show-cause and forced changes were made. With the way they are working, recruiting, tweeting/instagramming, bringing in competent staff, etc... I am not getting the sense that this is a Lame-Duck staff just waiting for the axe. 

I had predicted a bad year (still think record won't be great) with a firing... Starting to just think it'll be a bad record year but he'll stick around if he wants to be here. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I'm not sure what thread this belongs in... and don't think it's worth it's own thread. 

But I am really starting to get the sense that this is "Year 2" for Hoiberg in the eyes of the Administration. Last year was a show-cause and forced changes were made. With the way they are working, recruiting, tweeting/instagramming, bringing in competent staff, etc... I am not getting the sense that this is a Lame-Duck staff just waiting for the axe. 

I had predicted a bad year (still think record won't be great) with a firing... Starting to just think it'll be a bad record year but he'll stick around if he wants to be here. 

I'm getting wisps of info suggesting that Hoiberg is "adjusting." There appear to be hints of accountability taking place that would have been probably ignored a year ago.

And this might not have simply come from Trev. I'm just going by tea leaves on this, but I have to imagine staff would have also been a bit frustrated at the lack of the head guy holding the line on some discipline issues.

Last year be like: "Dammit, you gotta have my back on this."

This year be more like: "Thanks for having my back on this."

So, I mean, I agree that it sure looks like Fred is not acting like a dead man walking, and your assessment that it's sort of year 2 might not be far off.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm getting wisps of info suggesting that Hoiberg is "adjusting." There appear to be hints of accountability taking place that would have been probably ignored a year ago.

And this might not have simply come from Trev. I'm just going by tea leaves on this, but I have to imagine staff would have also been a bit frustrated at the lack of the head guy holding the line on some discipline issues.

So, I mean, I agree that it sure looks like Fred is not acting like a dead man walking, and your assessment that it's sort of year 2 might not be far off.

I think he intended on giving both Football and Basketball a clean slate, but his evaluation of Football was that it was FUBR. But felt that Basketball was more than salvageable. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I think he intended on giving both Football and Basketball a clean slate, but his evaluation of Football was that it was FUBR. But felt that Basketball was more than salvageable. 

Doesn't have a salvageable look to me.   Recent recruiting losses have all the look of a coach who is much further down the road than year 2.

25 minutes ago, HB said:

Doesn't have a salvageable look to me.   Recent recruiting losses have all the look of a coach who is much further down the road than year 2.

I'm not sure what you mean by that and I don't have a way to quantify your statement on recruiting. I mean we signed/maintained a great recruiting class that are freshman now, and brought in a couple highly important transfers. 

Edited by basketballjones

I have the feeling that Trev is going to give Hoiberg every chance to prove he should be NU's coach for a while.  As long as he runs a clean program, says and does the right things you would expect from a coach and doesn't embarrass the University, I think he will be our coach almost regardless of wins and losses. (within reason.  And no I do not know what is within reason) 

34 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that and I don't have a way to quantify your statement on recruiting. I mean we signed/maintained a great recruiting class that are freshman now, and brought in a couple highly important transfers. 

I was talking about the class to be signed in November.   Recently lost Braelon Green and Parker Friedrichson.  Per Washut, we don't have a single official visitor for the opening night event on Friday.    Some are speculating we will have to rely exclusively on the transfer portal for the '23 class.   Haven't recruited a true point guard.   It seems to me not getting Freidrichson the second time around reeks of "Oh oh, Hoiberg may not be around when I show up on campus".    And I don't get where we signed a "great recruiting class" that are freshman (sic) now".   

33 minutes ago, HB said:

I was talking about the class to be signed in November.   Recently lost Braelon Green and Parker Friedrichson.  Per Washut, we don't have a single official visitor for the opening night event on Friday.    Some are speculating we will have to rely exclusively on the transfer portal for the '23 class.   Haven't recruited a true point guard.   It seems to me not getting Freidrichson the second time around reeks of "Oh oh, Hoiberg may not be around when I show up on campus".    And I don't get where we signed a "great recruiting class" that are freshman (sic) now".   

Dang... I guess I view Lloyd Jr., Lawrence, and Dawson a lot higher than you do. And then Blaise (not a freshman, of course) filled a huge need. 

And then I find Bandoumel, Gary, and Griesel to be very high quality transfers. Obviously missed on getting a "dude." 

I just never get too worked up about dudes they miss on. Seems like they have a plan, due to us seemingly cutting ties with the previously committed PG (name is escaping me). But who knows!?!? You could be right. 

44 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I have the feeling that Trev is going to give Hoiberg every chance to prove he should be NU's coach for a while.  As long as he runs a clean program, says and does the right things you would expect from a coach and doesn't embarrass the University, I think he will be our coach almost regardless of wins and losses. (within reason.  And no I do not know what is within reason) 

I would expect anywhere from 7 to 10 wins total.

Someone please tell me again how Tim Miles was underachieving at NU...he averaged 7.43 CONFERENCE wins in his time at Nebraska.

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

This may be true for a non-revenue generating sport. But there's also a business element at play here. And if Trev wants to be the tough guy who expects a certain level of accountability, I don't see a "clean program where the coach says and does the right things regardless of results" being the sole barometer.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If Hoiberg is finally more locked in I wonder what percentage one can attribute to new AD, new assistants, different players, fear of being fired

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Dang... I guess I view Lloyd Jr., Lawrence, and Dawson a lot higher than you do. And then Blaise (not a freshman, of course) filled a huge need. 

And then I find Bandoumel, Gary, and Griesel to be very high quality transfers. Obviously missed on getting a "dude." 

I just never get too worked up about dudes they miss on. Seems like they have a plan, due to us seemingly cutting ties with the previously committed PG (name is escaping me). But who knows!?!? You could be right. 

My point wasn't to look back on recruiting,  but looking forward, and how difficult it is when the current coach is on a hot seat.   After the third straight last place finish, and a restructured contract, it gets difficult to sell the program to recruits.   This situation is dire.   Not impossible, but odds of Fred surviving it are low.   

2 hours ago, HB said:

My point wasn't to look back on recruiting,  but looking forward, and how difficult it is when the current coach is on a hot seat.   After the third straight last place finish, and a restructured contract, it gets difficult to sell the program to recruits.   This situation is dire.   Not impossible, but odds of Fred surviving it are low.   

But....but....Tom Osborne.... :lol:

11 hours ago, basketballjones said:

On a Nebraska pay for subscription board, a respected nebrasketball writer predicted 10 wins and that Fred would be fired if that was where they were at. Sorry for being vague, but I know it's their livelihood and was unsure on how specific to be haha.  

Edited by The Polish Rifle

15 hours ago, HB said:

Gotcha. Definitely agree with your last couple sentences. 

I just feel like they're really active on the recruiting trail right now. Following stuff on social media, they're all over the place. 

9 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

On a Nebraska pay for subscription board, a respected nebrasketball writer predicted 10 wins and that Fred would be fired if that was where they were at. Sorry for being vague, but I know it's their livelihood and was unsure on how specific to be haha.  

I mean... That's the obvious and probably correct position to take. I'm just feeling vibes man, feeling vibes.... 

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Staying would probably depend on which 10 teams we would beat. Creighton would be a good one to start, followed by K-State and 8 of our league games.

I like it, but if we lose to Maine, Omaha & Pine Bluff out of the gate, Fred may not be around for the Creighton game. 😁

I'm willing to rethink that position if we beat Colorado in the exhibition by at least 15 points. I have a feeling that would be a very good omen for the season.