Now that we know Trev is willing to fire a coach mid-season ...

Norm Peterson

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I personally don't see much more than like a 11 and something record. However, much more scrappy, team-oriented, watchable product. Non-con is just too tough and we won't have enough experience or guard-scoring ability to compete in the Big 10. 

Even if the product is more watchable and team-oriented, 11 wins isn't enough to retain FH at that point, and I'd assume you'd agree. He's in a pretty deep hole. 

2 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Even if the product is more watchable and team-oriented, 11 wins isn't enough to retain FH at that point, and I'd assume you'd agree. He's in a pretty deep hole. 

Yeah he's done barring a miracle. OR so much is seen from the young guys that it seems like something serious/real is brewing. 

5 hours ago, 49r said:

They're not going 8-5.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we are 8-5 come December 21st.  Could see a scenario like this to get them to an 8-5 record.

Maine = WIN

Omaha = WIN

St. Johns = WIN

Arkansas Pine Bluff = WIN

Oklahoma = LOSS

Tournament Game 2 = WIN

Tournament Game 3 = WIN

Boston College = WIN

Creighton = LOSS

Indiana = LOSS

Purdue = LOSS

Kansas State = LOSS

Queens = WIN

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we are 8-5 come December 21st.  Could see a scenario like this to get them to an 8-5 record.

Maine = WIN

Omaha = WIN

St. Johns = WIN

Arkansas Pine Bluff = WIN

Oklahoma = LOSS

Tournament Game 2 = WIN

Tournament Game 3 = WIN

Boston College = WIN

Creighton = LOSS

Indiana = LOSS

Purdue = LOSS

Kansas State = LOSS

Queens = WIN

Nebraska has a brutal non-conference schedule, and it is compounded by the 20 game conference schedule.  Doc used to have 13 non-conf games which included 12 cupcakes and one middling power 5 school.  This year's year's schedule only has 4 cupcakes (and that includes UNO). 

Interesting you have NU winning the 2nd round game of the Invitational Tourney.  If Nebraska loses to OK in the first round, they will play the loser of Memphis/Seton Hall.  Last year Seton Hall was an 8-seed in the tourney and Memphis was a 9-seed.  Oklahoma last year was in the first 4 out. 

The irony of the K State game is Nebraska may have a chance, but after NU compliance/medical rejected Keyontae Johnson, he committed to K State and there is a good chance he will be playing for the purple and be the difference maker in that game.   It is also a road game being played in Kansas City.

Indiana is projected by most to win the B1G this year, and Purdue is projected top 4 in conference by most. 

Creighton is projected to be at or near the top of the Big East and the game is in Omaha this year. 

St. John's isn't a powerhouse, but is a power 5 school projected to be in the middle of the Big East and it is a road game

All things considered, unless there are losses to the cupcakes or some other massive letdown, determining Hoiberg's fate after the first 13 games seems ludicrous. 

Edited by NUdiehard

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

"Four opportunities to lose to a cupcake."

giphy.webp?cid=82a1493br1k4wvys3yid6cgya

Things that keep Tim Miles awake at night.

(all in jest)

A Fourth place finish & then 19 Wins considered a “plateau” & Not “good enough” for the Moos administration. Now we ponder what constitutes success after Fred posts an astounding (& not a misprint) 10 & FIFTY B1G record. I always look forward to the season but this sets up to be really BAD…

Edited by Handy Johnson

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

Nebraska has a brutal non-conference schedule, and it is compounded by the 20 game conference schedule.  Doc used to have 13 non-conf games which included 12 cupcakes and one middling power 5 school.  This year's year's schedule only has 4 cupcakes (and that includes UNO). 

Interesting you have NU winning the 2nd round game of the Invitational Tourney.  If Nebraska loses to OK in the first round, they will play the loser of Memphis/Seton Hall.  Last year Seton Hall was an 8-seed in the tourney and Memphis was a 9-seed.  Oklahoma last year was in the first 4 out. 

The irony of the K State game is Nebraska may have a chance, but after NU compliance/medical rejected Keyontae Johnson, he committed to K State and there is a good chance he will be playing for the purple and be the difference maker in that game.   It is also a road game being played in Kansas City.

Indiana is projected by most to win the B1G this year, and Purdue is projected top 4 in conference by most. 

Creighton is projected to be at or near the top of the Big East and the game is in Omaha this year. 

St. John's isn't a powerhouse, but is a power 5 school projected to be in the middle of the Big East and it is a road game

All things considered, unless there are losses to the cupcakes or some other massive letdown, determining Hoiberg's fate after the first 13 games seems ludicrous. 

OK, so you've given us the rationale/justification/excuse for why we might/should lose all but five of our first 13 games.

That leaves Maine, Pine Bluff, Omaha, Boston College and Queens.

I'll stand by what I said before: If the Huskers walk off the floor on 12/20 with fewer than 6 wins, Fred Hoiberg should not be the coach on 12/21.

Five wins in the first 13 games is an incredibly low bar. And, to be honest, I don't actually think we'll have to face this question. I think we'll be better than 5-8 after our first 13. But if we're not, there's no reason to suspect it'll get any better as the season progresses.

If we don't have at least six wins by December 21, then someone else should be our coach when we face Iowa on December 29.

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

Granted.... it's not like the final 18 get any easier at all.  If we're awful and in a bad spot after 13, we'll be in a worse spot the last 18.

I'm with Normy though... I don't see us having less than 6 wins after the 12/20 game.  I just have a gut feeling we'll win some we shouldn't this non-con and I have a gut feeling this group doesn't screw up and lose to a cupcake.

**I also had Taco Bell today, so the "gut feeling" could be a lot of different things.**

I used to have a positive gut feeling...

I used to love the look of my rose colored glasses...

I used to put a positive twist on our incoming recruits...

I used to believe each of our players would grow and improve exponentially from the previous year...

I used to believe that this season would be the one...

But you know, the last two seasons tempered my beliefs, they stomped on my optimism and broke my rose colored glasses.

Now, I will be at the opening event, the exhibition, all home games and will travel to a couple of our away games...Perhaps PSU in January for example.  Yes I will cheer and hope.  If we get one win, then maybe two, our home court may be ours once again.  But wait, this team has some proving to do.  Again there is talk and some hyperbole; but is time to walk the walk!

Edited by Huskerpapa

37 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

And attend staff meetings… specifically if those meets take place in another country days before a make or break season opening game.  What a dumpster fire this all is.

I am really shocked by the stuff that has been coming out about Frost concerning the neglect of his responsibilities. I generally take the rumor stuff with a grain of salt but there's so much of it coming out. And I'm not talking about infidelity/drinking type rumors but the not doing the bare minimum the job requires. Just shocked.

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I am really shocked by the stuff that has been coming out about Frost concerning the neglect of his responsibilities. I generally take the rumor stuff with a grain of salt but there's so much of it coming out. And I'm not talking about infidelity/drinking type rumors but the not doing the bare minimum the job requires. Just shocked.

And not just from random billx83745284739 social media accounts either.  These are official Nebraska employees and respected media members.

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Fine upstanding citizens usually don't get a lifetime ban from the Lincoln Country Club, especially when they have the highest profile job in the state.