Now that we know Trev is willing to fire a coach mid-season ...

Norm Peterson

I'm not yet prepared to dance on a coaching grave quite yet.  Am I optimistic about an uber successful basketball season?  No; but I am willing to give it a chance.

That said, I am still upset about Scott's failure.  I thought he was going to be the answer; I really did.  It was the right call to fire him, yet I have mixed emotions. 

As to Fred, he now knows, if he didn't before, that it is win or else.  Money is not the issue.  The clear expectation is to win, or your gone.  He has made, what appears to be, some good choices as to the coaching changes, the player changes, the style of player, the re-emphasis of discipline and defense.  My hope for Fred is the same as it was for Scott.  It didn't work out for Scott, but I can still hope it works for Fred.

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

The subject line of a thread is meant to be a summary of what you're posting about, not a superfluous body of text which turns the thread into a guessing game as to the subject matter. Please abide by this courteous tradition in future postings.

In other words, nothing too "cryptic".

The subject line of a thread is meant to be a summary of what you're posting about, not a superfluous body of text which turns the thread into a guessing game as to the subject matter. Please abide by this courteous tradition in future postings.

You’re a mean one, mister grinch!

I do not think it will happen. 

So much more to Frost being fired that what has or hasn't worked for Hoiberg. Incomparable human beings. One does not seem to have his personal life in order and it bleeds into all other areas of his professional life. One is just losing a lot of basketball games because it hasn't worked out for myriad of reasons, none related to his character. 

And... I think we're going to be really bad this year so the opportunity will probably arise. But I don't see it happening until the end of the year. 

Edited by basketballjones

5 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

🙄

Now that we know Trev is willing to fire a coach mid-season, I'm hoping Fred's team gets off to a good start.

Agreed. I'm hoping against hope that Fred's team gets off to a good start. And has a good middle. And a good end, even.

However, I'm really worn out on 7-10-win seasons. Really worn out.

So, let me ask you this: If we're 6-7 or worse after the Battle in the Vault, heading into conference play, do you make a coaching change?

What's your cutoff? What if, by that point, we only have wins over Maine, UNO, Pine Bluff, Boston College and Queens U?

There is now historical precedence for Trev to call the dugout in the third inning and bring in a reliever. If we only have 5 wins heading into the bulk of conference play, how can you justify leaving Fred at the helm? Can you justify it?

How many wins do you realistically think Fred needs to have on 12/20 to be allowed to continue to coach the rest of the season?

For me? It's gotta be at least 6. Six would still be under .500 during the "easy" part of the schedule. If the Huskers only have 5 or fewer wins when they walk off the floor after the 12/20 game against Queens, Fred should not be the coach on 12/21 in my opinion.

As always, it depends on how it looks. If they look like a competent basketball team and is getting better, it might be something Trev is willing to see through. Football was such a dysfunctional mess, that there was no other choice. Hopefully they'll be able knock off a couple high major opponents early in the season to jump start things a bit.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

I don’t expect to be good this year but I expect improvement in competitive spirit and teamwork. This may not result in wins but it will demonstrate progress.

And unfortunately we'll lose all 3 of the players who will have the largest impact on that improvement in competitive spirit and teamwork, in Griesel, Walker, and Bandoumel. 

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I thought the same thing about football 😕

I wasn't surprised once we lost another close game to Northwestern it was "when" will Frost be fired and not "if" during the season. Looking back it makes sense that he failed after 1 real good season at UCF and some of his comments that showed some ego. Fred is a little more baffling IMO guy brought in some of the best players on paper in school history,  won on a big level, etc and yet arguably has been worse than Frost. 

20 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

As always, it depends on how it looks. If they look like a competent basketball team and is getting better, it might be something Trev is willing to see through. Football was such a dysfunctional mess, that there was no other choice. Hopefully they'll be able knock off a couple high major opponents early in the season to jump start things a bit.

A competent basketball team will not be 5-8 on December 21.

I know I'm in the minority but think this team will be better than last year and more enjoyable to watch.  Yes, I know we don't have alot of experience coming back but think Fred did a decent job recruiting and filling in pieces we need.  I can see us going 7-4 at worse in the non-conference and potentially 9-11 in conference play to finish at 16-14.  If you do that and then sign kids like Parker to come here, things could start trending in the right direction to the point we all expected when Fred was hired.

Edited by kldm64