Nebraska is defrosted

Norm Peterson

14 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I feel like it's kind of hard to say your first paragraph and then think he all of the sudden grew a pair and stood up to them firing 3 games in. 

I believe he wasn't fired at the end of last year because it wasn't obviously "clear" he should be. Even though behind the scenes it was quite evident. But what we did last year was one of the most fluky, strange, statistically impossible things ever. I think it's pretty fair to say he deserved a chance to figure it out. Trev risked losing serious fan and booster support by firing last year. 

That being said - it does seem pretty clear that Trev handcuffed him (purposefully and masterfully) this year. If he wanted to allow Frost a true "prove it or lose it" year this year, he wouldn't have forced some of the staff changes that he did, such as removing OC title and hiring who he did. I believe Frost would have made some staff changes - but he would have gone down with the ship as captain doing it his way. Trev either forced him or Jedi-mind-tricked him into thinking he needed to do the CEO thing and make certain changes. 

But allowing Frost to go down with the ship his way would have potentially created another scenario for Trev where Frost gets "close," and he can't rally support behind his decisions. Once it was "clearly evident," losing to Georgia Southern, Trev stuck like a skilled boxer. Just needed his moment. 

IMO - Trev Alberts has handled this near perfectly and set the next coach up with a super clean slate, and the highest percentage of acceptance of the new coach/boosters. 

In my opinion, it was painstakingly obvious that Frost needed to go last year. His record clearly showed it. His lack of talent development clearly showed it. He was propped up last year by a bunch of 23 year old Super Seniors, who were good enough to keep them in games. Plus, Trev had to know Frost wasn’t putting in the work. Leaders have to lead, even when it’s not politically convenient or may hurt some feelings. 

Perhaps I am dead wrong and he’s about hire a good coach who will turn our program around. I’m skeptical. If he nails it, I’ll do backflips and laugh at this post. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I mean there's, what, at least 10 guys who would get a, "sounds good, not bad," reaction or above - right?

I'd only be disappointed if he hired the NC State guy, the Army guy, or Gary Patterson (dude is old and TCU is like instantly back in the mix after canning him, c'mon now). 

Petersen

Rhule

O'Brien 

Stoops

Kiffin
Leipold

Aranda

Kleiman

Campbell

Mickey

I mean, all those guys would make the majority of people pretty happy, I would think?

Petersen - yep

Rhule - yep

O'Brien -big yep

Stoops -yep

Kiffin - big yep
Leipold - mostly yep (not sure if he can recruit)

Aranda - hesitant yep (although he may have the highest ceiling of anyone on this list)

Kleiman - hesitant yep

Campbell - yep

Mickey - safety net

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I mean there's, what, at least 10 guys who would get a, "sounds good, not bad," reaction or above - right?

I'd only be disappointed if he hired the NC State guy, the Army guy, or Gary Patterson (dude is old and TCU is like instantly back in the mix after canning him, c'mon now). 

Petersen

Rhule

O'Brien 

Stoops

Kiffin
Leipold

Aranda

Kleiman

Campbell

Mickey

I mean, all those guys would make the majority of people pretty happy, I would think?

A majority from this list, but some...

giphy.webp?cid=82a1493b7qo82madal15pjb2j

8 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I don't see Sanders at NU.  Not sure if he's even on Trev's list. But who knows?  If MJ was the guy, an announcement could have been made by now.  My best guess is Rhule, or Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops....   😉

We're selling beer now at some Nebraska sporting events.

My money is on Bob Devaney coming back for the reunion tour.

3 hours ago, cipsucks said:

I don't see Sanders at NU.  Not sure if he's even on Trev's list. But who knows?  If MJ was the guy, an announcement could have been made by now.  My best guess is Rhule, or Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops....   😉

I asked a college friend (a long time Charlotte resident, former Daily Nebraskan sports editor, long time employee of the Charlotte Observer who used to cover the Panthers on occasion) about Rhule.  His opinion: let Arizona State have him.