Nebraska is defrosted

Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I think with the addition of NIL, nearly unlimited transfer opportunity (with the opportunity to play right away), and the ability to “win now” (see KU)— you’re going to start to see more of this moving forward. 

We’ll be the norm and not the exception of a few years at most.

I don't think NIL is the driving factor in the mid-season firings. It's the early transfer window. I think you'll see a significant adjustment to that fairly quickly to try to curb the mid-season canning.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't think NIL is the driving factor in the mid-season firings. It's the early transfer window. I think you'll see a significant adjustment to that fairly quickly to try to curb the mid-season canning.

Agree. Seems much more likely that Wisconsin wants to see what it has in Jim Leonhard and/or it's new AD needs to make a move syndrome. 

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Agree. Seems much more likely that Wisconsin wants to see what it has in Jim Leonhard and/or it's new AD needs to make a move syndrome. 

My feeling was that they knew Leonhard was on many lists of up and comers.  They may have been pushed a little towards making their change.

41 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:
3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

My feeling was that they knew Leonhard was on many lists of up and comers.  They may have been pushed a little towards making their change.

Or is it to get ahead of the line for Wisconsin born-bred-and-coached, Lance Leipold?

16 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

If they wanted him, envisioned him there in the future, it was a ruthless but necessary decision. Not sure it will pay-off for them - getting your butt whipped as a young coach at a big school you weren't ready for can be a career ender. 

10 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

If they wanted him, envisioned him there in the future, it was a ruthless but necessary decision. Not sure it will pay-off for them - getting your butt whipped as a young coach at a big school you weren't ready for can be a career ender. 

We speak from experience here.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Trev said tonight he would've preferred to have Frost's metrics be "verbal" only, but Frost wanted them in writing. 

I took that to mean that Fred's metrics are probably verbal only, since Trev didn't discuss them in detail.

Also, it's important to remember that Frost's 6 win/bowl game metric was just to return to his old salary. Not to keep his job (clearly). Assuming Fred's metrics are in a similar position, it only matters to the accountants in the athletic dept what those metrics are. They don't necessarily mean he keeps his job if he hits them.  

36 minutes ago, throwback said:

I believe Trev said tonight he would've preferred to have Frost's metrics be "verbal" only, but Frost wanted them in writing. 

I took that to mean that Fred's metrics are probably verbal only, since Trev didn't discuss them in detail.

Also, it's important to remember that Frost's 6 win/bowl game metric was just to return to his old salary. Not to keep his job (clearly). Assuming Fred's metrics are in a similar position, it only matters to the accountants in the athletic dept what those metrics are. They don't necessarily mean he keeps his job if he hits them.  

It likely was 'make the postseason, revert your salary back' followed by a hand shake

I get it. But the type of money that Hoiberg came into this job with was in a different area code than Frost. Both of which are on a different planet than me and 99.9% of the rest of us. 

Hoiberg is a professional coach who had been fired from coaching before. Frost well. Was neither of those things.

• 2 weeks later...

I see rumor mill topics popping up on the Nebraska Rivals message board today.  I don't have access to those boards, so can only guess what they mean.  New subjects include:

Matt Rhule -Thoughts?

Something Going Down Today?

Smoke in north stadium

Putting that together, and it seems people are expecting Rhule to be announced as the new football HC today.  Anyone hearing these rumblings?