Nebraska is defrosted

Norm Peterson

50 minutes ago, HB said:

And, most of the content was by Mike Schaefer, not Stai.   Coaches, players, and staffers much closer to the situation than a fundraiser have been having private conversations like this with media members every day, for years.   

That's the problem imo. The athletic department is full of cliques, grudges and backstabbers. These "professionals" use the media and boosters to get their POV out to the general public. Hot mic doesn't excuse it.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

That's the problem imo. The athletic department is full of cliques, grudges and backstabbers. These "professionals" use the media and boosters to get their POV out to the general public. Hot mic doesn't excuse it.

Seems like the actual problem was that we hired a coach that was a legendary player to a very large contract and he wasn't at all up for the task.

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I just looked at the marketplaces.

It probably doesn't help that the resell market is going for prices below what the university is selling on their website.

I’m not hung up on the “Sell Out” streak so to speak, I just find the tragic irony of it ending on HOMECOMING too priceless for words. 

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Give it a week.  I’m guessing we sell the tickets.  Now who shows up is another thing.  I’ll gladly take my daughter to her first game for free if anyone looks to give tickets away again like last year lol.

Would've been nice to wait 20 days to save $8M so we could spend that money on unused tickets.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Seems like the actual problem was that we hired a coach that was a legendary player to a very large contract and he wasn't at all up for the task.

Much of the problem seems to be that much of his focus and energy went to living it up as a result of that very large contract, and not to what that very large contract was paying him to do.

If they had only paid him, say, a million a year he probably wouldn't have spent all his time flashing off his newfound wealth, and probably wouldn't be considered as the worst coach of the last 20 years in all of college football.

45 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Would've been nice to wait 20 days to save $8M so we could spend that money on unused tickets.

If the Athletic Department wanted to save the money, do a better job at negotiating the contract. I very much understand in a vacuum this is a large amount of money but in the big picture you're talking about hamstringing the flagship program over a Power 5 school rounding error.

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Then so is every other athletic department in the country.  If you don't think those conversations go  on every single day, you are naïve.    Stai wasn't trying to do any of that. 

8 hours ago, busticket said:

In fairness to Stai it was a hot mic situation somebody leaked.

This wasn't "leaked"...it's right off the KLIN stream where they broadcast every single off the radio break.  It's pretty telling that the facebook feed for the show on the 16th was pulled and replaced with the radio link.

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

This wasn't "leaked"...it's right off the KLIN stream where they broadcast every single off the radio break.  It's pretty telling that the facebook feed for the show on the 16th was pulled and replaced with the radio link.

Wow.  I have never heard of a station doing that before.  I wonder if Stai knew.

1 minute ago, busticket said:

Wow.  I have never heard of a station doing that before.  I wonder if Stai knew.

A lot of radio stations do this.  KLIN does this every single week.

Just hit the 29 minute mark on the show from 29:00 on.

https://www.facebook.com/1400KLIN/videos/1088834888693124

The thing about always being recorded is that you forget you're always being recorded.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

If the Athletic Department wanted to save the money, do a better job at negotiating the contract. I very much understand in a vacuum this is a large amount of money but in the big picture you're talking about hamstringing the flagship program over a Power 5 school rounding error.

You aren't wrong, but $7.5 million is just a shade more than a rounding error.  Even for an AD as profitable as ours.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Teams are 1-6 after playing Nebraska this season.

Theory 1: we physically beat the hell out of them to the point where they can’t compete.

Alternate theory: winning against Nebraska is so easy it makes it psychologically impossible to prepare to play a real team.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Seems like Nebraska has become a trendsetter for disgruntlement. So we have that.

I think with the addition of NIL, nearly unlimited transfer opportunity (with the opportunity to play right away), and the ability to “win now” (see KU)— you’re going to start to see more of this moving forward. 

We’ll be the norm and not the exception of a few years at most.