Nebraska is defrosted

Norm Peterson

13 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Since this post I've seen some positions that can support both sides of the argument.

Here's one where a coach within the Big Ten has called Nebraska out for their decision to cut the coach loose and the perceived impact that has on the players:

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Article/Nebraska-coaching-search-Wisconsin-DC-Jim-Leonhard-calls-early-season-firings-worst-situation-for-players-193380116/

The irony here is a Wisconsin guy saying it is a bad idea to fire a guy midseason.  He may have forgotten the only time we have beaten Wisconsin (back in 2012), they had the worst Wisconsin offensive line in their modern era.  It was a mess.  They promptly fired their offensive line coach and put a new guy in.  At the end of the same season, we met them in the B1G title game and we alL know what happened there.

16 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

This season is a transition year. That's fine. Choose to watch or don't. They'll rebuild soon. But we can't afford four more years of transition years.

I’m watching…I can’t get myself to stop.  I want to see if coach Joseph can get some positive things going with the kids.  

But man we need Trev to make a solid hire. You’re right…we can’t keep doing this.

32 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Our two lines (offense and defense) are flat out horrible.  You cannot compare them at all to Oklahoma.  I don't understand we got this bad.

This is why I think this is a major rebuild. They are horrible. I though the D line would so much better than it is. To me this shows the portal is nice, but you really can't use it to plug as big of a hole as we had coming into the season. And I really bought the idea that we could. I had my suspicions about the O line.  Seems the only way forward is development. And thats gonna take awhile i.e. years.

28 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

This is why I think this is a major rebuild. They are horrible. I though the D line would so much better than it is. To me this shows the portal is nice, but you really can't use it to plug as big of a hole as we had coming into the season. And I really bought the idea that we could. I had my suspicions about the O line.  Seems the only way forward is development. And thats gonna take awhile i.e. years.

Unfortunately we have been attempting to rebuild our offensive line for years without success.   Our defensive front seven wasn't all that bad last year, but it is sort of embarrassing watching them get shoved all over the place this year.

I was watching us attempt to rush the pass today and at one point laughed.  To a player the simply stood up at contact and didn't do anything more.  Sooo sad.

On offense, our tackles on three separate occasions completed whiffed on their blocks and Thompson got lit up.  

How we got here - zero player development, not enough setting of expectations for players, and an S&C program that, somehow, seems to make our players slower and less explosive the longer they are involved with it.

It's pretty damning that the majority of the best players on this roster are newcomers who received most of their player development and S&C away from NU. 

Want to watch a well-coached team that makes the most of its talent and that has recovered from a dumpster fire relatively equivalent to where NU is at right now? Kansas. KU would beat us by 3 TDs next week, likely more.

The reality is NU now is a complete program rebuild job. We are where Kansas was 2-3 years ago.

For any of us who thought NU had a bare cupboard when Smilin' Mike was shown the door, Frost has carried us to another level of cupboard bareness hell that I would've thought wasn't possible for a P5 football team with half our resources, money, and fan support. Yet, here we are. 

Maybe Mickey can find some magic during the off week and steal one against the Hoosiers in 2 weeks. Indiana is pretty bad, but they are light years tougher than us mentally, unfortunately. Rutgers is almost identical to Indiana - a bad team that's still mentally tough. After those 2 games, I don't see another game on the schedule where we can stay within 2-3 TDs (or 7-11 safeties in the case of Iowa), outside of a Herculean turnaround.

I think the path forward has to start with someone who has coached in the B1G. I see all the names of hotshots and up and comers...but what we need is a teacher/developer with a B1G mindset and knowledge of what OL and DL play looks like in this league. I'm not trying to start a "who we should hire" thread, just echo the "lack of physical and strategic" fit for this conference. 

On 9/16/2022 at 8:10 PM, huskerbill85 said:

I can't find this interview from today people were talking about but supposedly Stai said no Meyer & was saying some really shitty things about Benhardt. If this is true & that guy is the assistant AD we have more than just a coaching problem. 

https://klin.com/lnktoday/# 

You can find what your talking about here.

Edited by Bugeaters1

To add insult to injury, looks like we WON’T be selling out the Homecoming Game in two weeks. Yes we need the Bye Week to take a deep breath & regroup, but this team will not capture the collective consciousness & your casual fans have reached a level of disgust they will demonstrate with their feet. 

3 minutes ago, busticket said:

In fairness to Stai it was a hot mic situation somebody leaked.

And, most of the content was by Mike Schaefer, not Stai.   Coaches, players, and staffers much closer to the situation than a fundraiser have been having private conversations like this with media members every day, for years.